Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on a road trip recently cruising at around 80 when I noticed the oil temp at 228 then soon up to 232. Normally it's in the 200 to 210 range so I was getting more than concerned that there was maybe an oil cooler failure. I then noticed that I had not put the car in Sport Plus like I always do. So I put it on and the oil temperature started to decline. In a few minutes the temp gauge reading was back to normal.

Does anyone know if using Sport Plus has some kind of connection with oil temperature? I have a '14 981S.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I was on a road trip recently cruising at around 80 when I noticed the oil temp at 228 then soon up to 232. Normally it's in the 200 to 210 range so I was getting more than concerned that there was maybe an oil cooler failure. I then noticed that I had not put the car in Sport Plus like I always do. So I put it on and the oil temperature started to decline. In a few minutes the temp gauge reading was back to normal.

Does anyone know if using Sport Plus has some kind of connection with oil temperature? I have a '14 981S.
Don't know about Sport+, to extreme for day to day driving for me but I have noticed this when I drive in Sport mode.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Normal. Apparently the goal is to run hotter, thinner oil in "economy" mode for reduced frictional losses.

When stuck in traffic, I usually switch modes to let the oil warm up enough to get rid of any accumulated moisture. It almost never reaches 100C in Sport mode. I have no reason to think any water is accumulating in the oil, of course, but it can't hurt to run it a bit hotter on occasion.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

I don’t know what model you have, but turning on sport+ loops in the center rad on some models. Lower temps in sport+ are normal as a result.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I believe that one of several Porsche approaches to economy is heating up the oil fast and running it hot. However, when in sport or sport+ mode it is assumed that milage is secondary to engine stress protection and thus the temperature is lowered. Ah the charms of a car controlled by computers. lol

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I suspect it is a map-controlled thermostat. I know the GT4 uses this. The thermostat has a heating element controlled by the DME. In Sport mode the thermostat controls the coolant at a lower temp than normal mode and this affects the oil temp also.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Yep, Porsche has an over-complicated cooling temperature control system. Oil is not controlled in any way; just coolant. So a center radiator (if equipped) is always connected to the regular oil cooler. But since oil is heated and cooled by coolant, it typically runs close to coolant temperature. Normal mode runs too hot for hot TX IMO, so I always use sport mode. But sport mode also has the perfect throttle mapping for me, deactivates S/S, activates PSE, and PDK shifts just like I like, so that's my mode of choice;). Both sport and sport+ (when equipped) activate a 'thermostat' to keep coolant temperature at 185 (even though dash says 194 all the time), meaning it normally defaults to the normal mode's 225ºF or so, all for a fraction of a MPG gain with the EPA. The reason for confusion IMO is Porsche (and almost every other US car) buffers the coolant gauge, meaning it parks the gauge at 194, even though it could be fluctuating from 185 to 235... but the oil gauge is accurate (thankfully). I personally prefer better engine protection than a marginal better fuel economy. If you push the car in sport mode, oil temp goes up, but it's much better to start from 190 or so than 230 IMO, but to each his own:).

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
I don’t know what model you have, but turning on sport+ loops in the center rad on some models. Lower temps in sport+ are normal as a result.
I thought the same thing a while back but was "schooled" by a fellow blogger who had a diagram showing that the center radiator was "in the line" and not a separate loop with valve control. Rather, the valves for the "system" are adjusted by the engine map (as suggested above) to achieve the lower temps. The comments about normal driving with higher temps for economy reason is probably right -- leave it to Porsche to turn over EVERY rock for incremental efficiencies..

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the comments. Bottom line, it sounds like the higher temp in Sport is a Normal event. But, I'll keep using Sport Plus since that turns on the M/T rev matching, a feature I can't drive without.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.