Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled out of the parking space at the office and made a couple turns in the parking lot. Then I started to hear a clanking noise that sounded like it was comin' from the passenger side front wheel. It stopped when I came to a stop sign. Then started up again briefly as I left the sign. It stopped pretty much right after I left. When I got to my house for lunch, I checked the lug bolts to see if they were all still there, and they were. When I got back to work, I walked over to the stop sign and all I saw was a piece of mulch in the road. I didn't notice any change in handling or anything while driving, and I even got it up to a decent speed on the interstate. Is it possible that as I was drivin' in the parking lot I picked up a piece of mulch in the wheel and it was just floppin' around in there as I drove, or should I be concerned that nut or bolt fell off somethin'?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it at a rythm - then it is something stuck in your wheel, a bolt/nail can be hard to see. Does it sound like it is tumbling inside the wheel? I would have that check out, don't want to lose you valve stem.
It sounded more like tubling, but it stopped right after I got rolling again leaving the stop sign. After the sound stopped, I changed my display to show the tire pressures, and they all looked normal.

I'm supposed to have new wheels and tires installed today, depending on when UPS delivers them. If it was somethin' that got stuck in the wheel and it's still there, I think it would be found when the wheel comes off. If nothin' is stuck in the wheel, and not seeing anything at the stop sign where the sound stopped, I don't know where to look to see if everything is still bolted together right. Total distance I heard the sound was ~30 yards at about 10-15 mph.

·
Registered
309 Posts
same issue. took it to dealer and they couldnt replicated it. checked under the car. still hear it from a dead stop to around 15 miles per hour. oh well

·
Registered
33 Posts
A slightly loose brake pad might cause this noise. Friction from the rotor drags the pad up until it hits the caliper, then it drops and repeats until the speed is higher. I vaguely recall having a similar problem once, or maybe I'm imagining it....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.