Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had some extreme winter weather here in the past week - about 8 inches of powder snow in a couple of days, with -20 C / -4 F temperatures, then a one day warm-up Wednesday to +8 C/ +46 F, then back down overnight last night to -12 C / 10 F and colder today at -18 C / 0 F. I drove my 997.2 2wd GTS for a couple of hours on Wednesday, and the snow had filled up the radiator inlets in the front and was packed in the wheels and fender wells when I put the car in the garage Wednesday afternoon. This evening I went out to do a quick run...and the front wheels were frozen solid. So solid they wouldn't rotate as I backed out of the garage. I thought they would break free if I just kept moving back slowly, but they continued sliding (both sides) until my rear wheels hit the snow in the alleyway outside the garage and I no longer had the traction required to drag the front of the car. A couple of 2-liter bottles of hot water poured onto the front wheels/rotors/hubs freed everything up and I was on my way. I've never experienced or even heard of such a situation in 44 years of driving in Western Canadian winters.

SlidingWheels.jpg

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
The most likely culprit is that when you parked it, some of the snow melted around the warm rotors and then froze up solid.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yep...likely what happened. The open design of the GTS's RS Spyder wheels allows a lot of snow to get inside...in fact, after driving in deep stuff, the front wheels gets so packed that the balance goes off and the snow needs to be cleared out. The CS drove through the same snow and was exposed to the same rapid melting/freezing conditions, but its winter boots are OEM 987.2 18" wheels, which don't allow nearly as much snow to get inside.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts