Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked at all the Porsche info I can find I can find on the base audio system but am under the impression you need Connect or Connect + to stream Spotify/Pandora over the base audio system. Is that correct?
thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't you stream it with your phone and then use a 3.5mm male to male cable to connect it to the auxiliary jack in the glovebox?
I did that with my 981.
Oops, my bad--I'm asking about BT streaming.
Specifically, is the base audio system capable of BT streaming of music? I know it will do phone calls but the specs make it sound like connect is required to do BT streaming for music. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
148 Posts
One does not need Porsche Connect to enable BT music streaming. What you cannot do, with either nothing or just Connect, is interface with the streaming source via the PCM touchscreen (unless you're using CarPlay -- and even then, only streaming-capable apps that are CarPlay compatible will work.). It must be controlled on the phone itself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You are correct: One needs at least Porsche Connect to enable BT music streaming. I have only Connect (not Connect Plus) and can stream from any BT music source on a smartphone. What you cannot do with just Connect is interface with the streaming source via the PCM touchscreen (unless you're using CarPlay -- and even then, only streaming-capable apps that are CarPlay compatible will work.). It must be controlled on the phone itself.
I don't have Connect or Connect+ and I'm able to stream music over BT just fine...as long as my phone (Android) is over 20% battery. Usually throw on spotify - which I am able to control in a limited capacity from the touchscreen. Just play/pause/next/prev, typical lockscreen navigation.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You are correct: One needs at least Porsche Connect to enable BT music streaming. I have only Connect (not Connect Plus) and can stream from any BT music source on a smartphone. What you cannot do with just Connect is interface with the streaming source via the PCM touchscreen (unless you're using CarPlay -- and even then, only streaming-capable apps that are CarPlay compatible will work.). It must be controlled on the phone itself.
You do not need Porsche Connect to stream via BT - only need it for Car Play or other phone connectivity things.
Source: I don't have Porsche Connect, I play music via BT (and have watched netflix on my phone / streamed audio through BT [not while driving]).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Another question related to the 2018 BASE audio system:

Does the USB port in the glove compartment have true audio connectivity? (so it can be selected as a "source" on the radio).
Or is it just a USB charging plug?

I know that with the OPTIONAL audio system, you can play music via a flash drive with that USB port. But is that also true in the base system?

It's not clear on the online info and even my salesman wasn't sure when I asked him.

We're picking up the car next week in Atlanta and driving it home to NJ.
I'm not a music snob but after a while I may get tired of listening to southern radio stations. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Post corrected. Thanks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Another question related to the 2018 BASE audio system:

Does the USB port in the glove compartment have true audio connectivity? (so it can be selected as a "source" on the radio).
Or is it just a USB charging plug?

I know that with the OPTIONAL audio system, you can play music via a flash drive with that USB port. But is that also true in the base system?

It's not clear on the online info and even my salesman wasn't sure when I asked him.

We're picking up the car next week in Atlanta and driving it home to NJ.
I'm not a music snob but after a while I may get tired of listening to southern radio stations. :)
Though I'm not 100%, I'm pretty sure the Bose (optional) system is a standalone speaker / configuration upgrade. The music source inputs are separate from that upgrade.
I have tried to use USB audio from my phone via that USB port and got something like "invalid usb media source" as an error (I didn't mess with it very much). This leads me to believe you can put something there that will work.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Though I'm not 100%, I'm pretty sure the Bose (optional) system is a standalone speaker / configuration upgrade. The music source inputs are separate from that upgrade.
I have tried to use USB audio from my phone via that USB port and got something like "invalid usb media source" as an error (I didn't mess with it very much). This leads me to believe you can put something there that will work.
Thanks. That's hopeful!

I'm planning on bringing along a USB-to-3.5mm adapter in case that works as an alternate to the flash drive. And I'll have some SD cards with music as another alternate.

My sales guy told me he thinks they changed some stuff related to this in 2018 but he wasn't 100% sure about this issue. My car is a "stripper" with no options other than PDK. My dealership didn't have any cars with the base audio system....otherwise, we would have just tried it out. I'll know next Tuesday for sure. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.