Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
This is not off-topic!

This is a clip made to raise driving safety awareness... The numbers are very disturbing and very painful. And I hope by sharing it with you it could save someone's life.

The video clip is in Arabic:

And I included a link for English translation as well
Video: Street Terror – with English translation • Khaled rambles

·
Registered
132 Posts
This is not off-topic!

This is a clip made to raise driving safety awareness... The numbers are very disturbing and very painful. And I hope by sharing it with you it could save someone's life.
Sobering stats. I lived in Saudi Arabia for 13 years and the driving conditions can be absolutely frightening. I witnessed a lot of bad accidents, but fortunately I was never involved in one.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sobering stats. I lived in Saudi Arabia for 13 years and the driving conditions can be absolutely frightening. I witnessed a lot of bad accidents, but fortunately I was never involved in one.
Yes, I agree... the highways are in superb conditions, there's no traffic other than within the cities of Riyadh and Jeddah, almost all cars are affordable and driving licenses are issued at young age... plus there was not much of police control.

But right now things are changing with an iron fist after introducing the system called "Saher". (it's my nightmare :eek:)

BTW Tanajib, I know who you are!
Tanajib is an oil complex owned by the Saudi Arabian Oil Company (Saudi Aramco) :D

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Very interesting. I particularly liked the video for it's use of good editing and graphics. Kudos to its producer. So what kind of laws and regulations are going into effect?

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1) Four years ago they introduced the undercover police cars; which are regular looking cars from the outside that drives through the cities and on the hunt for traffic violators. When they are on the hunt they scare the hell out of you like death emerging all of a sudden behind you with lights, siren and microphone asking you to pullover :(

2) They increased the penalties up to one night in jail with the car being taken away for a week in addition to the substantial fine and driving license points system.

3) Now they are introducing the "Saher" system (which means "The Awake") in all the cities one-by-one covering all streets and intersections with cameras and radars for all types of traffic violations. Accompanied with SMS notifications to the cell phones registered on the violating car. And you cannot believe the outrageous amounts fined to certain vehicles in few days from starting the system. We're talking about amounts exceeding the value of the driven car !!!

Luckily... still this system is not implemented in the remote city I work in. But I'm afraid the time will come this year and with my driving style I'm considering hiring a driver (not the Porsche).

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
Thanks for providing the video with translation.

I would imagine there are a couple of other factors besides speeding with regard to fatal crashes - is the wearing of seat belts required in KSA? (I'm guessing not, which probably contributes significantly to the shockingly high death rate). I also wonder about the EMS response and trauma care capability generally available in the Kingdom.

When I was there 20 years ago, I had the occasion to travel up and down the main gulf coast highway (Hwy 1?) a few times, and saw some frightening displays of reckless driving by the locals (e.g. passing 3 abreast on a 2 lane road with oncoming traffic :eek: ). It made me very nervous any time we had to travel that route.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is the wearing of seat belts required in KSA?
It is a must by law to wear the seat belt but sadly the majority of the people neglect it and do everything possible to go around it. I myself blame the government for being loose and having laws without education or reinforcement !

I also wonder about the EMS response and trauma care capability generally available in the Kingdom.
The government does provide the top notch rescue and care services. There're no shortfalls here.

saw some frightening displays of reckless driving by the locals
You are right and sadly... it's still the case on almost every single street, highway or road in the kingdom. As I said the government has been very very very loose with the people. When I came here to work in Riyadh seven years ago I couldn't believe my eyes of how people drove down the streets (and still). But as I said the government right now is reinforcing the law. And from the OUTRAGEOUS figures of traffic violations generated by this automated "Saher" system per day per vehicle you can guess how loose things were ongoing. Can you imagine having tickets in one day worth more than the car you drive?:eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.