Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am looking to get in to a Cayman S in the next couple months. I have spent so many hours online searching. I am heading over to the dealer tomorrow to test drive a few. They have a couple pre owned ones I want to look at and they want me to see the 09 lease offers. If I was to go with an 09, I don't think I could get the S (due to the extra price).

I was wondering if anyone has every used one of the broker/locator services? I spoke with one and they locate a car at auction based on what you are looking for. They buy it at wholesale and charge 2k for brokering the deal. Do you think this would be a large cost savings compared to what I could get from a dealer pre-owned or private party? I know it would be easier to go with the dealer but if it saved me 4k...

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
In this market you can probably shave $4000 or more off a dealer's asking. Easy Peasy.

Give it a try before you drop $2000.

And do you really want a used Cayman from auction? Dealers keep the "good ones" and just re-sell them. So you won't get the certified pre owned benefits from auction.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha, easy peasy...I wish I still lived in CA so I could take you with me to put the muscle on them. I am usually really good about getting a great deal on consumer products (laptops, tv's, etc) but feel overwhelmed with the Porsche.

I am going to check out these 2 and whatever else they have on the lot.

2007 Cayman S - 10k miles - asking $42,950
http://jim-ellis.porschedealer.com/2007/Porsche/Cayman+S/Atlanta/GA/Midnight+Blue+Metallic/blue/495301/info.php

2006 Cayman S - 22k miles - asking $39,950
Jim Ellis Porsche of Atlanta Inc. -- 2006 Certified Porsche Cayman S, Arctic Silver Metallic

I think they are asking a lot for these...esp considering there is a 2006 Cayman S listed in the classified section with 14k miles and more options for less money.

I also thought this one was interesting but damn that is a lot of miles for an 06...but it is a 911. (how long do these engines last) - 60K miles - $17,957
Tom Williams Porsche -- 2006 Certified Porsche Carrera S Coupe, Black

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
any thoughts on the caymans i listed and what they might let them go for? I don't think they are optioned that well for the price.

·
Registered
317 Posts
haha, easy peasy...I wish I still lived in CA so I could take you with me to put the muscle on them. I am usually really good about getting a great deal on consumer products (laptops, tv's, etc) but feel overwhelmed with the Porsche.

I am going to check out these 2 and whatever else they have on the lot.

2007 Cayman S - 10k miles - asking $42,950
Jim Ellis Porsche of Atlanta Inc. -- 2007 Certified Porsche Cayman S, Midnight Blue Metallic

2006 Cayman S - 22k miles - asking $39,950
Jim Ellis Porsche of Atlanta Inc. -- 2006 Certified Porsche Cayman S, Arctic Silver Metallic

I think they are asking a lot for these...esp considering there is a 2006 Cayman S listed in the classified section with 14k miles and more options for less money.

I also thought this one was interesting but damn that is a lot of miles for an 06...but it is a 911. (how long do these engines last) - 60K miles - $17,957
Tom Williams Porsche -- 2006 Certified Porsche Carrera S Coupe, Black
I think they are asking too much for the first two. In this economy you can easily get a great deal with your own research. If you are willing to travel you can really get a good deal. Plus a long trip home is a great way to get to know the car. I did a mini vacation to pick up my car out of state and put about 2,500 miles on it in a week. What a blast. Plus I saved about $3K from the local market. That savings paid for the CPO and the mini vacation.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Too much. In this market you should be able to get well optioned cars for that money. You are buying a $65-$68k MSRP car there. You should be buying ones that originally retailed in the high $70s or $80s for that price. There are a ton of cars out there lightly optioned like this.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would be willing to travel some but prob not cross country (ga, al, nc, sc, fl, ky, oh, va, wv). I could do those with a long weekend

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
I can't offer a legitimate opinion on the 911.

On the 2 Caymans (Caymen??)... whatever... both are quite high IMO.

I just got (2? months ago) a 2007 w/ 6900 miles... Same basic car, but with PASM and the $3000 lapis blue paint (no way I'd pay for that stock)... but w/out the Bose and Bi-Xenons.... so say it is "a wash" for 41K

I would think you could BUY that 2007 for 38-39... worth an offer if you're serious... and if you dig the car, go as high as you're comfortable w/...

End of the day, if you like your car and don't get totally boned on the price no one on here is going to be laughing at you... we've all got the bug too... Even at their asking price I wouldn't be laughing... Remember that is their "ask"... you go in w/ an offer and be prepared to walk, and the dealer will come "off" the price... simple as that.

Even after you test drive it, YOU MUST BE PREPARED TO WALK, if you want to get your price... no shame in testing the dealers will w/ a moderate offer and then coming back a day later and bumping it a bit... 38-39 is the price I would feel comfortable buying the '07 Cayman.... assuming it "checks out"... CarFax, VehicleCheck (or whatever it is called)

Good luck w/ your decision.

JT

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am open to any others I may come across. Those are just 2 I noticed on the local dealers inventory. I can't wait to check them out and start to get a feel for what I want or don't need. I think I am going to look around and hopefully can find a good deal between now and the end of Aug. I have become obsessed with searching them out. I think it is great that they have so many options for them...but it makes it harder to compare apples to apples.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How could I forget good ole TN? I am only 2 hours from the state line. It is some really nice scenery going up the mountains in TN.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If it helps, I'll share my recent experience. In June, I purchased a 06 CS Artic Silver CPO from Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte. The car has the following options :
19" Carrera Wheels
PASM
Sport Steering Wheel
Navi 2.1
Sports Chrono Plus
Bose
Heated Seats
17,500 Miles

I paid $41,500 for the car and got a killer financing deal through Porsche NA. The car is flawless. The CPO will cost you an extra $1500-$2000 but worth the peace of mind.

-Johnny

·
Registered
29 Posts
Every time I see a thread like this I'm one the one hand very happy for the soon-to-be Cayman owner, and completely saddened at looking at the depreciation numbers in black and white. My "car bug" has seen 12 new and 2 used cars purchased in the last 8 years with 12 going bye-bye often within 6-12 months. My '07 CS has had by far and away the worst depreciation of any of them. Awesome car, and fortunately I'm not looking to trade/sell so I'm not actually crying, but... As a first-time Porsche owner, it was pretty shocking.

Oh well, nothing to do but go out for a drive and enjoy it! :)

Good luck on the purchase though!! And if you're interested, there's one for sale at a Jag dealership here in Minneapolis - bit high mileage at 30k miles on an '07, and peeping through the window looked like no options, but at $36K to start on price and negotiating from there could be a heck of a deal...

Downtown Jaguar Lotus Land Rover Minneapolis Jaguar in Minneapolis and St Paul Minnesota The Twin Cities MN , offering new and Used Jaguars, a Used Jaguar Dealer and a Used Jaguar Dealership offer Cars, Trucks and SUVs

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I headed over to Jim Ellis Porsche today and test drove an 07 cayman s and also an 09 std cayman with pdk. The cayman s was really something! I liked the 09 but the engine just didn't have the same sound as the S...but both had no problem running up the speedo.

Few other thoughts as a first timer:
-damn, these things are low and getting in is a little odd. I don't know how older guys would get in/ out. I am in my 20's and it is low...but totally worth it.
-pdk is very responsive ( much better than the tiptronic on my current car...but I did find my foot looking for the clutch when I was coming to a stop...maybe I shouldn't have tested the manual first.
-Porsche dealer staff were friendly guys that are glad to chat about anything car...even non-Porsche.
-does the CPO waranty cost extra on top of the listed price or is it included (guess I can check with them tomorrow)? How long is that warranty? I think he said 100k or so many years? Do they years count from when you but it or from when it was reg'ed for the first time?

They did have an 06 or 07 with only 10k and a nice list of options. It was only a little more than I was

·
Registered
510 Posts
So I headed over to Jim Ellis Porsche today and test drove an 07 cayman s and also an 09 std cayman with pdk. The cayman s was really something! I liked the 09 but the engine just didn't have the same sound as the S...but both had no problem running up the speedo.

Few other thoughts as a first timer:
-damn, these things are low and getting in is a little odd. I don't know how older guys would get in/ out. I am in my 20's and it is low...but totally worth it.
-pdk is very responsive ( much better than the tiptronic on my current car...but I did find my foot looking for the clutch when I was coming to a stop...maybe I shouldn't have tested the manual first.
-Porsche dealer staff were friendly guys that are glad to chat about anything car...even non-Porsche.
-does the CPO waranty cost extra on top of the listed price or is it included (guess I can check with them tomorrow)? How long is that warranty? I think he said 100k or so many years? Do they years count from when you but it or from when it was reg'ed for the first time?

They did have an 06 or 07 with only 10k and a nice list of options. It was only a little more than I was
Whoa! I'm 6'2", 64 years old and I had absolutely no trouble entering and exiting a Porsche Cayman! I had some trouble exiting my BMW 545i with the uhhhh..... Comfort Seats! :hilarious:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I also tested an 09 Infiniti G37 S. It is also a pretty impressive car. I think the cayman was more fun to drive but the g37 would be nice as a daily. It is pretty comfy and will still move.

·
Registered
47 Posts
does the CPO waranty cost extra on top of the listed price or is it included (guess I can check with them tomorrow)? How long is that warranty? I think he said 100k or so many years? Do they years count from when you but it or from when it was reg'ed for the first time?
If the car is already CPO'd it is already figured into the price. If it isn't CPO'd and you want it to be, first it has to qualify based on Porsche requirements. It costs the dealer $2000 for the CPO. If the tires aren't within spec they have to be replaced. If the brakes aren't withing spec they also have to be replaced. I am pretty sure the next service has to be done. Anything non-stock has to be replaced. A dealer told me they can put $5-$6K in a CPO car.

If you are talking about the cars you listed earlier, they are both CPO. The warranty is 6 years or 100,000 miles from new. That means the warranty on the `07 is good until 10/2012 and the `06 good until 11/2011. You can check that by using the print button on the PorscheUSA.com pre-owned listings.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention to you guys. I passed an Audi R8 going the other way when I was testing the cayman and usher's Carrera GT came in as I got back...sweet ride.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts