Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Looking at ordering a CS or CGTS towards the end of the year to replace my 2009 M3. I test drove a CS that didn't have either I felt like the ride was pretty comfortable even over the really bad roads that were in the area. From what I read the PASM option might help that even more. My M3 current has adjustable suspension but I've always left it at 1 setting which is the mid setting. Soft always felt a little to soft and stiff was just over the top. I suspect I'd probably end up doing the same thing if I got PASM so I'm wondering if its going to make that big a difference in comfort. The major upsize to not getting it (other than up front cost) is that future maintenance is much simpler on the standard suspension but I do like the lower ride height of the PASM.

Same goes for PSE. I drove the car with the standard exhaust but with sport chrono and I thought the grunt when you get on it was pretty good. Not sure how much different it would be with PSE and even if I had it, not sure how often I would go into the louder mode.

These two options are pretty much what makes me consider going CGTS since the cost between the optioned CS and near base CGTS is very close. The power bump is almost nothing and if I went CGTS I would opt out of all the alcantara on go full leather.

I'd appeciate your expert opinions on these options.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I would go with the GTS for several reasons.

1. Your resale value is going to be higher because you are getting a higher trim level with fewer options. The S will have more options which depreciate to almost nothing. I know that doesn't quite make sense at first, but it is true.

2. The PSE is awesome and very noticeable. My favorite option. PASM not really noticeable to me.

Agree with full leather. I have it and it is gorgeous.

15hp is not noticeable....but it is better than zero. 'nuff said.

Reactions: Steff BGTS

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
It's a sports car and awesome exhaust is important. Choose to get PSE (included on GTS) or go aftermarket...IMO the latter is a better option (thanks EPA).

I have standard suspension and think it's firm enough that I got "softer" tire for daily comfort. I bought the car to drive the sh1t out of it and enjoy it...comfort is a requirement for enjoyment for a daily driver. That said being 20% more firm, I doubt sport suspension is too bad, but as much as I like a lower ride, it doesn't work in normal roads due to clearance.

I hope to keep my car a long time, so the less 'low quality' leather I have the better. ALL older cars with leather look like crap. It dries, shrinks, cracks, and looks like crap, but soft plastic lives on.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I went through a similar situation before settling on the GTS. I actually had an order for an S until I cancelled it for the GTS. In my original spec for the S, I didn't have Sport Chrono nor PSE, but I did have PASM. With PASM, I like the lower height as well as the adjust-ability (and although now I usually by default use Sport+ which puts it in the stiffest setting which my wife still found quite comfortable and softer than my old Infiniti G35c). If you are the type to get an after market exhaust for sound, then PSE will fit the bill. I didn't originally want PSE since it's pretty expensive and doesn't give any HP improvement. I could live without it, but you don't have a choice on the GTS. Spot Chrono actually turned out to be more fun than I originally thought. Can't say how much impact the dynamic engine mounts provide, but the rev matching is pretty cool (both in functionality and sound). I would have also ordered the blacked out tail-lights and wanted full leather (two tone), but couldn't justify it on the S.

As noted above, since many of these features come with the GTS (including full leather if you choose that which I did) you'll get a better return on resale. Personally, I really like the front and rear fascia on the GTS, so adding everything up including the small bump in horsepower, it was an easy decision for me at the time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a sports car and awesome exhaust is important. Choose to get PSE (included on GTS) or go aftermarket...IMO the latter is a better option (thanks EPA).

I have standard suspension and think it's firm enough that I got "softer" tire for daily comfort. I bought the car to drive the sh1t out of it and enjoy it...comfort is a requirement for enjoyment for a daily driver. That said being 20% more firm, I doubt sport suspension is too bad, but as much as I like a lower ride, it doesn't work in normal roads due to clearance.

I hope to keep my car a long time, so the less 'low quality' leather I have the better. ALL older cars with leather look like crap. It dries, shrinks, cracks, and looks like crap, but soft plastic lives on.
My M is a daily driver and whateve I choose will also end up being a DD so comfort is relevant. I've never had an aftermarket exhaust but the OEM M exhaust does drone a bit at 2000RPM similar to the OEM CS exhaust so a little noise won't bother me.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
As to PASM: The nice thing about PASM is that it is self-adjusting. If you are in the comfortable setting, it will still get stiffer if you start driving more aggressive, and vice versa.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
While I test drove cars without PASM, I can't honestly say that gives me any sort of opinion on how they felt compared to mine which has it. It's my understanding that the standard suspension has a "comfort level" pretty much in the middle of the soft and sport settings of PASM.

Now... that said... there's a very obvious difference in feel between the soft and sport settings of PASM. It's not as though it's some subtle difference that you barely notice.

For my part... I drive almost exclusively in Sport+ with PASM in the comfort (softer) mode, and with PSE active. Driving on the streets, I don't think I'll ever be driving so aggressively that I'll get a performance advantage out of the sport mode of PASM, so I don't see any value in making the ride harsher just for the hell of it. PSE sounds amazing on the GTS. The only time I ever turn it off is when coming home to my neighbourhood later at night. That's it.

Get the GTS. Don't look back. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have PASM on 14 Cayman S and really like it for interstate highway trips. I think it is very noticeable when I change and easy to go back and forth if I want to go around a corner with sport. I just added PSE and like everyone says it is my favorite option. Adds to my pleasure when I want it and I can turn it off when tired of noise.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Interestingly enough the base 981 sounds great without PSE, but it's definitely required in the 981S. The 981S without PSE will emit a sporty exhaust note, but you'll have to climb high up on the rev band to hear it, whereas with PSE you'll get a sporty sound from 2K RPM up. A big advantage of PSE is that you can turn it off. I think even the most ardent car enthusiast enjoys a rather subdued exhaust sound on occasion.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
If you want to get them and have budget for it - get them.

But you'll be totally fine without too. Porsche with 0 options is still an awesome driving machine. There is a thread here somewhere, where unexpectedly large number of people confess to getting 981 with almost no options.

I myself love my stock suspension, and find it perfect. PSE - I might've think about, but it was not available at the time of order, so I didn't have to. And there is a lot of cheaper and arguably better aftermarket options, if you find your car too quiet.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'd appeciate your expert opinions on these options.
You can collect opinions but it's really whether you want the options and stand to benefit from them that matter. Neither are one-size-fits-all matters despite some posts above that present them that way. If you don't think you'd use PSE then why worry over it?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can collect opinions but it's really whether you want the options and stand to benefit from them that matter. Neither are one-size-fits-all matters despite some posts above that present them that way. If you don't think you'd use PSE then why worry over it?
The question is more, if I don't use the sport mode, does it still sound different or does it sound like the standard exhaust?

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
The question is more, if I don't use the sport mode, does it still sound different or does it sound like the standard exhaust?
PSE on or off sounds different regardless of what mode you're in. That said... PSE on sounds different when you're in Sport+ on a GTS than it does in regular mode. I have no idea what difference Sport mode makes. I still don't know why I'd ever use that. :D

Reactions: subshooter

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All good suggestions. I'm looking forward to driving the PSE/PASM optioned car the local dealer has coming in next month to see how different it really is. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I don't have the SC or PASM. But I do find it very convenient that when I start my CS, I just hit the Sport button and my PSE comes on. I like the PSE sound all the time, unless I suddenly see a cop while hot footing it, but even then I can usually feather off the throttle, trying to avoid extra attention. The Sport button is very convenient if u never turn off ur PSE.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you search GTS threads you will find that the GTS has the "sound symposer", which is probably a big part of why the PSE in the GTS has so much more presence than in the CS. The PSE on the GTS is also tuned to give all that burble on closed throttle. Some like it and some don't.

·
Registered
276 Posts
PSE on or off sounds different regardless of what mode you're in. That said... PSE on sounds different when you're in Sport+ on a GTS than it does in regular mode. I have no idea what difference Sport mode makes. I still don't know why I'd ever use that. :D
I tend to use Sport mode alot as that puts PASM on a still relatively comfortable setting, but turns on the fuel dumping for PSE that gives you the trademark GTS overrun pops and crackles. It also won't turn on the auto-revmatching feature that you get on Sport Plus (disabled with PSM turned off). I've noticed that simply turning on PSE when you start up the car won't give you the pops.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Hard to see how it could be any more boisterous than the PSE on my CS... I've never read that anywhere in factory literature.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts