Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am probably way too observant but I am sure I am not the only one in this forum :crazy:! Today, I noticed a bit more of a gap at the corner of one edges of the front hood and the bumper versus the other side of the hood. The front corner of the right side of the hood has a bit wider gap to the bumper than the left side. Definitely not a dent in the hood b/c I checked and there doesn’t seem to be any imperfections. Wonder if it’s a manufacturer’s flaw, a hood alignment issue or me being too paranoid :). The gap isn’t that big but if you stare at it you can see the gap difference. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
100 Posts
This is why service writers should be paid lots and lots of money.

Your car is the product of a modern industrial assembly line. It is not a hand crafted automobile built by artisans from tiny villages in the Italian Alps.

I know you paid a lot of money for it but to expect total perfection is an unreasonable expectation and if you take it to the dealership and complain then you will be put directly on the sh*t list.

EDIT: If it bugs you that much then I suggest you take it to your local body shop and pay them to re-align the hood for you.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I haven't really looked at mine recently, though when I did I noted the front-hood front-edge is seated a bit below the bumper. This gap is by design, and presumably such so that the hood won't catch air. Still, it should be even on both sides. You say yours is not. Could be your hood just needs a minor adjustment if the gap is that gap.

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
Your car is the product of a modern industrial assembly line. It is not a hand crafted automobile built by artisans from tiny villages in the Italian Alps.

I know you paid a lot of money for it but to expect total perfection is an unreasonable expectation and if you take it to the dealership and complain then you will be put directly on the sh*t list.

EDIT: If it bugs you that much then I suggest you take it to your local body shop and pay them to re-align the hood for you.
I disagree. In actuality, hand assembled cars are not nearly as consistent nor as precise as those coming off robotic assembly lines. Just ask anyone who has owned a pre 996 911. However, it is quite possible for a misalignment to occur between assembly and delivery. If it bothers the OP, by all means he should bring it to the attention of his dealer. It it's within spec they'll tell him, but if not it should be corrected. Porsche dealers are used to persnickety customers and the OP's issue is neither unreasonable nor stupid. FWIW, my hood/bumper gap is perfect to my eye.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Everyone -

I re-checked the car. The bumper is perfect. And the hood is actually aligned by looking at all the edges - except the front right tip of the hood. Its just that the front right tip of the hood is very minorly pushed in (or pointing more downward however you want to look at it) which is creating the larger gap between the tip and bumper. There doesn't seem to be any damage. Paint is fine - I inspected. This actually does look like a manufacturer issue. If there was damage done, it would be noticeable (i.e. scratched paint, more of a dent). I actually think that the tip of the hood wasn't perfectly rounded at the factory. I only noticed it b/c I was detailing the car. Very odd. :crazy:

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
If it bothers you talk to service. My hood badge was not centered side to side, and I complained to service, because once you notice something like that it will bother you for a really, really long time.

If you have a good service department, they will be happy to help out. They, too, want you to be happy with your car and their service.

Take them coffee and donuts some time, if you think they are going to put you on the bad customer list.

If Porsche didn't like their customers being focused on minute details, then there would be no PCA ...

·
Registered
160 Posts
We sense is that a good service dept, within reason, will help with minor alignments...but the hand built craftsmanship versus modern production....I lived through that change with my Ferraris....my 308 GT was the last Ferrari hand built with panels hand made...hand fitted....a real pain in the butt...the next one a Mondial Quadrovolte 4 was the first Ferrari for which true full metal dies to stamp out body panels...whereas the prior cars were made with lots of bondo (Italians call it Fondo...)...give me modern production techniques any time versus hand fitting, paint spraying etc....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts