Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k, bought a 2007 Cayman 3 weeks ago. Researched a little but not alot. It didn't come with an owners manual. There are 4 slots on the roof which have 2 screws a piece in each. It looks like, but not sure.......Does the top come off?

·
last race, 1958 AD
478 Posts
The slots have hinged covers. Yours are either open or missing. The slots are for mounting a bike rack, ski rack, etc. The top does not come off.

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
O.k, bought a 2007 Cayman 3 weeks ago. Researched a little but not alot. It didn't come with an owners manual. There are 4 slots on the roof which have 2 screws a piece in each. It looks like, but not sure.......Does the top come off?
Yes, if you remove the plugs you will see four pull tabs that look just like the pull tab on a beer can. Pull the tabs and you will hear a "tsssst" noise. Then you can remove the roof panel. The only problem is that the roof panel doesn't fit inside the car, so you will be driving targa style without any rain protection handy.

The presence of the access plugs means that your car was spec'd with the targa option from the factory.

That is my stupid, stupid answer. :cheers:

Seriously though, see the above reply for the accurate answer.

And above all else, congrats on the car and welcome to the club...where there is no such thing as a stupid question. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, now I feel dumb! I just had the time to examine all the nooks and cranies of the inside. Wife came out to the garage and I said "Hey, found out what these are for" and she said"yea,a roof rack" Now I feel REAL stupid!!! Still looking for the spare.....just kidding!:thanks:

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
PDF of 2010 Owners Manual now available on this site.

pdf of 2006 Owner's Manual is also on this site. Should be a lot more relevant to your 2007 car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on buying one of the most beautiful automobiles made.

May I also suggest giving the FAQ section a really good read as it's jam-packed with valuable information. Also there is a "Idiosyncrasies" section there that explans some of the stranger aspects of the Cayman which should help inform you of what to do when entering what would otherwise be some painfully puzzling situations.

·
Registered
126 Posts
"...remove the plugs you will see four pull tabs that look just like the pull tab on a beer can. Pull the tabs and you will hear a "tsssst" noise...."

Kind of had me going there, and then I realized that the German's wouldn't use no pull-tabs, or even twist-offs. Instead there would be a special tool, in a special little cubby inside someplace that has a strange resemblance to, and in fact could be used as, a beer bottle opener.
:cheers:

Oh, and for an extra $550.00 you can get the option of a real leather slide-in case with a Porsche crest for your Car-top & bottle opener.

·
Registered
882 Posts
pdf of 2006 Owner's Manual is also on this site. Should be a lot more relevant to your 2007 car.
May I suggest you download the 2006 manual and really study it. Your cayman has a lot of nifty features.

Like the slot by the passenger seat is for a folding umbrella.

If you leave the adjustable electric mirror knob to "passenger", the passenger mirror turns down when you select reverse so you won't hit the curb on your blind side.

Plus lots more. I was finding nifty details for months. Enjoy yuor ride. Ed

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've had a few people ask me if the roof comes off (when they see those 4 plates, and weather stripping), so it doesn't seem stupid at all. It would be cool if it did right? :hilarious:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have had no less then 5 people ask me if the roof comes off as well! I think I may have asked at the daeler myself.:eek:
Had my car 13 months and over 20k mikes. and love it more than I could have ever dreamed in everyway.:banana:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.