Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

Subframe Bushings

598 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Aeneas137
Let's talk about subframe bushings. What's the life expectancy from these? I'm doing control arms as I'm hearing a knocking, also feeling something weird on the rear end that might not be control arms but subframe. Going over imperfections on the road such as a manhole cover, I'll feel a shift in the rear end. It doesn't wander on the freeway, nor is alignment off.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
I don't think there is going to be a standard answer. It all depends on how the roads are in your area. My daughters (NYC and Boston) seem to trash suspension components on their VWs on a regular basis. If you are lucky, you will poke around with a large pry bar and find a component that is visably loose. That is what mechanics would do if you paid them to look. Of course, oil change guys must have better eyes than the rest of us because my daughters are always calling to discuss the "immediate repairs needed" as identified during an oil change service :)
The 987 doesn't have subframe mount bushings. The subframes are bolted directly to the body Things it could be are:
-Transmission mounts or engine mount
-Upper strut mount
-Control arm or trailing arm bushings
Reactions: 1
I realized that after making this post. Upper strut mount, control arm, and trailing arms are on the list to replace when i swap out my suspension.

The 987 doesn't have subframe mount bushings. The subframes are bolted directly to the body Things it could be are:
-Transmission mounts or engine mount
-Upper strut mount
-Control arm or trailing arm bushings
If your transmission mounts and engine mount are original those would be the most likely suspects rather than the suspension (barring obvious play in the suspension, of course). The transmission mounts don't seem to last very long before they sag. The 987.1 engine mount also has poor durability, 987.2 is greatly improved.
Reactions: 1
That's really good advice. when you replace bushings and mounts, it's a big difference afterward when you realize how sloppy the car was. I did that with my 350Z, solid mounts everywhere. I don't recommend going solid, necessarily, in a street car, but replacing bushings is often neglected. I'm a huge fan of that... The way new bushings or mounts make the car feel tight again...
1 - 6 of 6 Posts