Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2005 Porsche Boxster S
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making this post because I struggled to find resources when I was researching bluetooth solutions.

My goal: I wanted to maintain the factory head unit so I could retain Bose Surround Sound system. The surround sound is just killer taking advantage of the vocals and basses. And the current Bluetooth to FM is such a pain. All I want is bluetooth and a volume button and change song button. Aftermarket head units were just too expensive for bluetooth.

Initially, I tried the Crux CS-AXMO Auxiliary Input Adapter for MOST Systems from Crutchfield and it didn't work. Would NOT recommend. Poor instructions. It was a black box with no lights to diagnose issues. Just didn't work.

A year later, I stumbled into the Rennkit. Specifically the BTR-3 Bluetooth-Retrofit Kit - NO Phone Module (987-Boxster-Cayman) (2003-2005) (CDR-24_w_CDChanger)

I have a 987 Boxster S with a CDR24 head unit, Bose and CD Changer. The Rennkit system is wonderful. Emailed Rennkit and to confirm it would work with my car and I was ordering the right one, and they replied within a day. The printed instructions that came with the kit were a good overview, but they pointed to a pdf and specific forums to ask questions and see common problems. The PDF was excellent. The install was a breeze!

An hour later. when I turn the car on, bluetooth automatically connects and starts playing. The seek knob switches songs on the phone and the audio quality is beautiful. Cannot recommend enough based on initial impressions.

Video of it working and changing the song.

· Registered
527 Posts
That's excellent. I am very glad to see a solution that is not a $1000 head unit and MOST interface. After having spent that much on mine, across two years of poorly purchased and integrated steps, it would have been nice to have just lean and functioning bluetooth for music and calls.

· Registered
19 Posts
I was so excited to find this solution until I realized that the Rennkit for the CDR-24 requires a CD-changer to work (they don't have a solution for a MOST-based CDR-24 without a changer.

· Registered
27 Posts
I was so excited to find this solution until I realized that the Rennkit for the CDR-24 requires a CD-changer to work (they don't have a solution for a MOST-based CDR-24 without a changer.
I've experienced the same letdown, since my car also doesn't have a CD changer. I contacted Pedro Bonilla (PCA's Boxster / Cayman tech expert and owner of the Pedro's Garage website), and he told me that his "TechnoTooth" bluetooth adapter will work with or without a CD changer. I haven't yet ordered one and tried, so I don't know for sure if it will or how difficult it might be to install, but I plan to order one in the spring.

I have no affiliation with him or his products or website, just passing along what he told me.

· Registered
2005 Porsche Boxster S
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to get your hopes up. I can relate.

It might be worth checking if your car is "CD Change Ready." I remember chatting with rennkit, and there is an option for CDR24 without CD Changer IF your car happens to be CD CHanger ready. Its listed in the compatibility notes.

• Some cars did not include the factory CD Changer – but are “CD Changer Ready”, these cars are compatible with the BTR-3 and do not require activation. This information is listed on the window sticker or by VIN decoding for example.

· Registered
1,378 Posts
Sorry to bring up old thread, but looking to install this over the weekend. Was going to use power from the cd changer. maybe a dumb question but Anyone know if the power should come from the red/green always hot wire, or the white/red wake up diagnostic wire?

· Registered
2005 Porsche Boxster S
1 Posts
Sorry to bring up old thread, but looking to install this over the weekend. Was going to use power from the cd changer. maybe a dumb question but Anyone know if the power should come from the red/green always hot wire, or the white/red wake up diagnostic wire?
I just installed on my 2005 Boxster S. It works great and I am very happy with it. The instructions were pretty terrible. Definitely very basic instructions. Really my only complaint with the kit. They literally could have spent a little more time writing up the instructions to make it more clear.

I connected the red wire to the red/green wire and the black ground wire I connected to brown wire. IF I read the instructions correctly I believe it said it needs the hot wire and not the switched power wire.

Ultimately I am super happy with this kit and highly would recommend. The sound is excellent with the Bose system and I like that it keeps the interior stock looking. Don't get me wrong, I love the touch screens in my newer vehicles, but I actually like the looks of the CDR24. My next minor mod is replacing the ugly fan and Temp switches!

· Registered
2 Posts
I just installed on my 2005 Boxster S. It works great and I am very happy with it. The instructions were pretty terrible. Definitely very basic instructions. Really my only complaint with the kit. They literally could have spent a little more time writing up the instructions to make it more clear.

I connected the red wire to the red/green wire and the black ground wire I connected to brown wire. IF I read the instructions correctly I believe it said it needs the hot wire and not the switched power wire.

Ultimately I am super happy with this kit and highly would recommend. The sound is excellent with the Bose system and I like that it keeps the interior stock looking. Don't get me wrong, I love the touch screens in my newer vehicles, but I actually like the looks of the CDR24. My next minor mod is replacing the ugly fan and Temp switches!
Hello everybody, I'm new here and I'm considering a similar unit for my Cayenne 2004 (with CDR23 and no CD changer) (It's called Mr12Volt and it seems to be the basis for this unit from Rennkit).
I've been looking for a solution to this exact point. I have no prior experience in car radios, and couldn't find anyone who installs this unit around where I live, so I'm opting for installing it myself.
I've been doing research for over three weeks and have been on practically all forums and discussion threads, but could not find a single detailed DIY on connecting the power cables to the Head Unit. Does anyone here have a CDR23 Head Unit and can guide me how they installed the Rennkit/Mr12V?

Thank you!

· Registered
1,378 Posts
Hello everybody, I'm new here and I'm considering a similar unit for my Cayenne 2004 (with CDR23 and no CD changer) (It's called Mr12Volt and it seems to be the basis for this unit from Rennkit).
I've been looking for a solution to this exact point. I have no prior experience in car radios, and couldn't find anyone who installs this unit around where I live, so I'm opting for installing it myself.
I've been doing research for over three weeks and have been on practically all forums and discussion threads, but could not find a single detailed DIY on connecting the power cables to the Head Unit. Does anyone here have a CDR23 Head Unit and can guide me how they installed the Rennkit/Mr12V?

Thank you!
Not exactly what you are looking for but this video has a lot of details about the cd23 unit

Reactions: KHCayenne2004

· Registered
2006, Cayman S, Manual, Quaife TBD, Billstein Damptronic
53 Posts
Hey Everyone, I've read this thread and really enjoyed the info. I am not having the best luck with using the various VIN decoders, and am hesitant to pay for one. I'm not sure that it would even have the info that I am looking for. I'm trying to figure out if my 2006 Cayman S is CD "changer ready". I have the Bose Surround System with the CDR24 head unit. I am interested in the Rennkit. I looked in the space in the frunk where I think the CD changer would go, at least it was behind the panel that said CD changer. The device that is in there doesn't look like a cd changer, and I am unable to get the stereo to recognize a cd change by repeatedly pushing the CD button on the head unit (this is what the stereo manual says to do).

Would Rennkit be able to tell if my car is compatible via the VIN #

Any info/help would be much appreciated.

· Registered
1,378 Posts
You may want to read through this thread below. I don’t think there are CDR24 that are cdc ready vs not. It’s just a matter of programming the unit.

· Registered
2006, Cayman S, Manual, Quaife TBD, Billstein Damptronic
53 Posts
Thanks for the reply DanielDolin. I checked out that link. Interesting stuff. I'm pretty hesitant to go down that path, if it means having to go to the dealer and possibly paying a few hundred dollars to get the unit programmed. It doesn't sound like such a great deal if that is needed. It might be worth the trouble of changing out the speakers, and just building around a touchscreen head unit. Then again I have never taken any of my cars to a dealer for any work.

I contacted RennKit, inquiring about the compatability to my car. I was asking if they could tell me if my CDR24 was compatable, I said that I haven't had much luck with VIN decoders and the like. I gave them my VIN number. The response that I got was to ask the dealer or look on the window sticker. So, not much help there.

Assuming I can ever get a VIN decoder to work (they all seem to be pay now), what option am I looking for regarding the stereo? I have the Bose surround system and the CDR24. Pretty sure that there is not a CD changer. There is some sort of factory looking device in that spot. I don't think it looks like a CD changer however.

· Registered
1,378 Posts
Cd changer looks like a cd changer if you have it Output device Gadget Rectangle Gas Peripheral

· Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone been successful programming the CDR 24 to enable the CD changer port to use a rennkit or mr12volt Bluetooth adapter. Both Rennkit and MR 12 V say their devices won’t work with a reprogrammed CDR 24 without a cd changer.

· Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone been successful programming the CDR 24 to enable the CD changer port to use a rennkit or mr12volt Bluetooth adapter. Both Rennkit and MR 12 V say their devices won’t work with a reprogrammed CDR 24 without a cd changer.
I've also asked both and they maintain it needs to have a factory cd changer. My car has a CDR 24 with BOSE. I looked through PIWIS and feel I could just add the cd changer to the GATEWAY and in the PCM add the cd changer to the 2nd MOST ring slot.

Maybe the CDR 24 needs to physically detect the cd changer to switch to that mode. I don't know if it would work. But not sure if I want to risk $200 to find out. Becker audio might be the better option.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts