Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Porsche Boxster S
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making this post because I struggled to find resources when I was researching bluetooth solutions.

My goal: I wanted to maintain the factory head unit so I could retain Bose Surround Sound system. The surround sound is just killer taking advantage of the vocals and basses. And the current Bluetooth to FM is such a pain. All I want is bluetooth and a volume button and change song button. Aftermarket head units were just too expensive for bluetooth.

Initially, I tried the Crux CS-AXMO Auxiliary Input Adapter for MOST Systems from Crutchfield and it didn't work. Would NOT recommend. Poor instructions. It was a black box with no lights to diagnose issues. Just didn't work.

A year later, I stumbled into the Rennkit. Specifically the BTR-3 Bluetooth-Retrofit Kit - NO Phone Module (987-Boxster-Cayman) (2003-2005) (CDR-24_w_CDChanger)

I have a 987 Boxster S with a CDR24 head unit, Bose and CD Changer. The Rennkit system is wonderful. Emailed Rennkit and to confirm it would work with my car and I was ordering the right one, and they replied within a day. The printed instructions that came with the kit were a good overview, but they pointed to a pdf and specific forums to ask questions and see common problems. The PDF was excellent. The install was a breeze!

An hour later. when I turn the car on, bluetooth automatically connects and starts playing. The seek knob switches songs on the phone and the audio quality is beautiful. Cannot recommend enough based on initial impressions.

Video of it working and changing the song.

·
Registered
527 Posts
That's excellent. I am very glad to see a solution that is not a $1000 head unit and MOST interface. After having spent that much on mine, across two years of poorly purchased and integrated steps, it would have been nice to have just lean and functioning bluetooth for music and calls.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts