Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About a month ago I had the dealer do the 40k service which included changing the oil and spark plugs. Up until then I'd have to add maybe up to a quart between 5k changes, always using Mobil 1 0-40 with the A40 spec. Not to absolutely imply it had something to do with the service, but I've incrementally added oil totaling about 1 quart in 733 miles. Other than this, the car is asymptomatic: runs well, no smoke, dry tailpipes, idle pressure is the same as always, & Porsche specified no less than 51 psi at 5000 rpm. I cannot detect any external leaks: no oil on the driveway even with the fully warmed engine running for several minutes and intermittently revved. The bottom of the engine is dry, (including at the drain plug, the original of which had cracked on a previous service.) Nothing on whatever I can see of the sides including a couple of the spark/coil locations. Wherever I can feel the inside of the belly panel near the engine is dry, too. Nothing on the garage floor.

I emailed the dealer with the above information and then spoke with them on the phone. They told me as a first step to let the level drop to the "minimum" mark and bring it to them, and they'll top it off there. I imagine they'll document the mileage, and I'd hope they'll rack it to check for external leaks at least.

Been checking at every valid, level stop, and just today at 107 miles, it looks like it's down 1 increment again! As the 4 between min and max equals ≈ 1.8 quarts, this means the motor is already ≈ .45 quarts down.

Being this has been happening since the spark plug change, I've wondered about the tubes leaking, but as I've said, I see no signs of an external leak. Oil filler tube?

Anyone have any insights? Thanks, Doppelgänger.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
The very first thing that I would check is the oil filter. That's about the only thing that the dealer touched at the 40K service that could possibly affect your oil consumption. I would expect however to see at least a few drops of oil on your garage floor if the oil filter wasn't tightened sufficiently. Your prior oil consumption, 1 quart every 5K miles is acceptable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I'd be tickled silly if it's just the oil filter… but only if it doesn't fall off before I get to the dealer!

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
With that much oil loss, you should be seeing oil on your garage floor if the oil filter was not tightened enough. A couple months ago, my Lexus started leaking oil. By the time I noticed it there was a nice size puddle on the garage floor (3 square feet). No discernable drop in oil from the dip stick. I had gotten an oil change the month prior and took it back suspecting loose drain plug or filter. Sure enough, the drain plug was not tightened. Fixed the problem. I think you would see oil on the floor if your filter was leaking that much oil.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Good idea to check the garage floor and have somebody follow you for a while under different conditions to see if there is any smoke at any time/condition.
Are you certain the oil level was full after that service? It would not be the first time a shop underfilled with oil. Those are the only 3 ways I can think of to account for adding that much oil lose in 770 miles, after a service.
It might also be possible that the filter is just tight enough that it only leaks when hot and at high oil pressure when revving high. But you should be able to see some oil underneath from that sort of leak, and on the ground where you park immediately after a hard run, assuming a semi tight filter. There has to be some evidence of consumption or leak, if you can look in the right place to see it or find some drops on the ground, or else it was under-filled.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice; I need to have someone follow me. Fully warmed after a run, and sitting in place in my driveway, with intermittent high revving and absolutely no sign of a leak. I wonder if there's a pool of oil somewhere up high on the engine that's just waiting to slosh out. Then again, I think there would be some hot oil odor. (Not the classic hypoy gear oil smell, though!) As far as the dealer under filling, that's usually the case, but only by a few ounces, which I think is better than an extreme overfill. And… this is the first time I've topped off more than once: at least 3 times, always at the same location on my driveway, and always following the owner's manual procedure. (And rechecking after 3-5-10 minutes.)

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
About a month ago I had the dealer do the 40k service which included changing the oil and spark plugs. Up until then I'd have to add maybe up to a quart between 5k changes, always using Mobil 1 0-40 with the A40 spec. Not to absolutely imply it had something to do with the service, but I've incrementally added oil totaling about 1 quart in 733 miles. Other than this, the car is asymptomatic: runs well, no smoke, dry tailpipes, idle pressure is the same as always, & Porsche specified no less than 51 psi at 5000 rpm. I cannot detect any external leaks: no oil on the driveway even with the fully warmed engine running for several minutes and intermittently revved. The bottom of the engine is dry, (including at the drain plug, the original of which had cracked on a previous service.) Nothing on whatever I can see of the sides including a couple of the spark/coil locations. Wherever I can feel the inside of the belly panel near the engine is dry, too. Nothing on the garage floor.

I emailed the dealer with the above information and then spoke with them on the phone. They told me as a first step to let the level drop to the "minimum" mark and bring it to them, and they'll top it off there. I imagine they'll document the mileage, and I'd hope they'll rack it to check for external leaks at least.

Been checking at every valid, level stop, and just today at 107 miles, it looks like it's down 1 increment again! As the 4 between min and max equals ≈ 1.8 quarts, this means the motor is already ≈ .45 quarts down.

Being this has been happening since the spark plug change, I've wondered about the tubes leaking, but as I've said, I see no signs of an external leak. Oil filler tube?

Anyone have any insights? Thanks, Doppelgänger.
Is .45 qt an average over all quantizations? Could it have moved from .2 under the ideal upper mark to .2 over the ideal lower mark? That would be only a 0.05 loss causing the gauge to read a whole mark down. I miss my dipstick!

Reactions: DFW

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
.45 quart is the value of each of the 4 increments between max and min, the total between those being ≈ 1.8 qts. Each time the indication dropped one increment below full, oil was added to bring the indication to max. (The 4th increment just under the max line goes green.) Even considering the .45 is an approximate added amount, having done this at least 3 times since the servicing is alarming. In the past, only one top off was needed, (slight dealer under fill; ok by me) which would then last a couple thousand miles. Up to now, the engine would barely "use" a quart between 5k changes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had something similar on my 06 CS. After the oil change it was down to the min after about 200 miles of driving. All I did was undo the cap and add maybe half a quart then took another reading. Oil level reset itself and is back to normal now. My car is also completely dry after 82k miles.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
After my most recent oil change, the local dealer sent me away with one bar's worth of oil (i.e., about a quart and a half low), then tried to tell me it was "normal" when I turned around and came back. I sort of lost it at that point, which I feel somewhat bad about, but at the end of the day I got my $300 worth of oil out of them.

Next time I'll save everyone the blood pressure spike and just top it off myself.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
.45 quart is the value of each of the 4 increments between max and min, the total between those being ≈ 1.8 qts. Each time the indication dropped one increment below full, oil was added to bring the indication to max. (The 4th increment just under the max line goes green.) Even considering the .45 is an approximate added amount, having done this at least 3 times since the servicing is alarming. In the past, only one top off was needed, (slight dealer under fill; ok by me) which would then last a couple thousand miles. Up to now, the engine would barely "use" a quart between 5k changes.
Sorry to read it's real. Was hoping it wasn't for your sake.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
More info/thoughts/clarification : Sudden high oil consumption/loss 9A1 3.4L

Without getting too crazy (?) about it, I began to wonder if a possible dealer short-fill (don't mind if they do that by a few ounces) was enough somehow to be on the low side tolerance for the one increment down reading, and it was juusst above being a two increment down reading. My subsequent top-offs were minimal so as not to overfill, so maybe this would still cause a low reading.* It doesn't really account for topping off three times.

* The only other thing could be the vagaries of precisely where the car was parked each time, exactly how long I waited (1+ minute, 3 minutes, e.g.,) and exactly what the oil temperature was. To be clear, after each engine shut-off, I checked more than once. The owner's manual says to wait approximately 1 minute. I wish I had taken note of the exact amount of oil I've added, but as this was never an issue, it didn't occur to me until I decided to post the problem and also tell the dealer. I'm pretty sure I added very close +/- a quart. Again, the number of top-offs to get a full reading discounts the amount I added being an issue. Two one increment drops alone accounts for ≈ .9 quart.

Ok, one more thing which I immediately dismiss. When I first got the car and tried the Auto Stop-Start, I noticed the pressure was maintained at 1 psi with the engine off. But being I don't use it, and it's definitely not engaged when I do the level check--- the psi reads 0.

Overall, my checking process has been the same since I got the car, almost 3 years ago. Still hoping the problem will "mysteriously" go away!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Re: More info/thoughts/clarification : Sudden high oil consumption/loss 9A1 3.4L

Ok, one more thing which I immediately dismiss. When I first got the car and tried the Auto Stop-Start, I noticed the pressure was maintained at 1 psi with the engine off. But being I don't use it, and it's definitely not engaged when I do the level check--- the psi reads 0.
I wouldn't worry about this. I had the same experience, 1 psi when the car was newer, 0 psi now, when using start/stop. I have 35k miles, and my car never used/uses any oil, so I would think it is unrelated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: More info/thoughts/clarification : Sudden high oil consumption/loss 9A1 3.4L

Thanks. I haven't rechecked the Stop-Start at all since first getting the car. I only imagined it would do the same thing, i.e. maintain 1 psi. I figured the logic of this is extra assurance of keeping the moving parts with some flowing/pressurized oil (crank bearings, etc.) in somewhat adverse situations like stop and go driving. By the way, I checked the inside the coolant filler to see if the oil was going there (!) but it was clean and dry. It was also, near as I can tell, below Min. but adding probably less than an ounce of pure water made the indicator float again.
IMPORTANT: The owner's manual I have shows a different design than what's actually in there. My car is an early build so I likely got an early version of the manual, before the coolant filler design was finalized or modified for production. A contributor on Pedro's Board posted a picture of what's actually in there, so I printed it and slipped it into my manual.

·
Vendor
707 Posts
What year is your car? Any chance you have the time to remove the engine cover and take a look inside? If there is oil on top of your motor, you will see it. Jacking the car up and removing the front undertray just fore of the motor will maybe yield further findings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the response. The car is a 2013 Boxster S with ≈ 40k. It was a custom order and picked it up the day the model was released for sale, June 28 2014. Put about 2500 miles on it, had the oil changed and hit the road, going from NY to the SoCal, up to Oregon, Idaho, the Dakotas and back. (8500 miles, mostly in 6th.) Had the oil changed again and since then every 5k, all by the dealer. Always using Mobil 1 0-40, Porsche A40 spec. I won't have time to examine the motor until the weekend, maybe. Also, I might put enough miles on by next week to possibly have gotten the oil level down to "Min" per the dealer, who will then do, I think, a top off and "official" documentation of the mileage for future reference. Hey, the great consolation is the car is still in warranty. I purposely have the dealer do everything, other than the rear tires being changed, so there's no doubt as to who worked on the car, just for the possible situation that's now occurring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts