Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a clean iphone mounting solution that charges and connects to the aux input at a good viewing position. Anyone have any creative solutions or suggestions?

thx

·
Registered
806 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
+1 for the ProClip - they have 2 mounting options in the 987 - near the left upper corner of the radio, and lower on the right side of the center console (see their website for pics).

I chose the former because it is easier to see, and I can still get pretty good satellite reception from that location. They are easy to install, and can be removed easily as well. They have a variety of cradles that mate to the mount, but I bought an iPhone cradle from Ram Mounts and attached it to their base.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
They have 'just holders' and 'charging holders' with 'pass through connectors'.

The Pass through holders will accept any cable that can connect to an iPhone.

I've used their products before and they are top quality.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm very happy with the Proclip mount that puts the phone close to the steering wheel. It's close enough that I can tap it without fully taking my hand off the wheel and it's easy to glance at. Very very secure as well.

I got the version with the passthrough connector, and use that with the Kensington LiquidAUX, which plugs into the passthrough connector and provides power from the 12V connection in the passenger footwell, and has an audio line I run to the aux input. It did, however, have a problem with a high-pitched whine, but it's a common ground problem and Kensington will send you a free audio cable with an in-line ground isolator free of charge if you call and tell them you're having that problem with the LiquidAUX.

I'll have to take some pictures of my install -- I think it's extremely clean looking in the end.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
+1 for the ProClip - they have 2 mounting options in the 987 - near the left upper corner of the radio, and lower on the right side of the center console (see their website for pics).

I chose the former because it is easier to see, and I can still get pretty good satellite reception from that location. They are easy to install, and can be removed easily as well. They have a variety of cradles that mate to the mount, but I bought an iPhone cradle from Ram Mounts and attached it to their base.
There is another option, Item No. 653932. It mounts on the right upper corner of the radio where the steering wheel can't obstruct the view of the device. It is on the United Kingdom shipping option with the right hand drive.

·
Registered
38 Posts
...I got the version with the passthrough connector, and use that with the Kensington LiquidAUX, which plugs into the passthrough connector and provides power from the 12V connection in the passenger footwell....
After removing iPhone from charger, do you tend to keep LiquidAux plugged into footwell socket at all times? And if so have you had any problems with discharging car battery? Seems unlikely I know, since power drain should be minimal with nothing being charged except possibly a small indicator light on the plug, but I'm a bit paranoid of draining battery after reading some of the efforts some go to trying to prevent dead batteries (battery tenders, etc.). My Boxster is a daily driver.

·
Registered
186 Posts
After removing iPhone from charger, do you tend to keep LiquidAux plugged into footwell socket at all times? And if so have you had any problems with discharging car battery? Seems unlikely I know, since power drain should be minimal with nothing being charged except possibly a small indicator light on the plug, but I'm a bit paranoid of draining battery after reading some of the efforts some go to trying to prevent dead batteries (battery tenders, etc.). My Boxster is a daily driver.
No, I never disconnect it. I've never had any sort of battery drain problem as a result, having left the car for a week without driving it a few times. I imagine the indicator LED power is negligible.

·
Registered
186 Posts
By the way, here is a picture of my ProClip/LiquidAUX install for reference:

I could probably bury the audio and dock cables coming up from the footwell even better, routing it behind the subwoofer, but I think it looks quite clean in general. The LiquidAUX's cables are in some sort of fabric-covered sleeve that you can "bend" a bit and it will stay bent, unlike a normal flexible plastic cable sleeve, which lets you route it nicely -- you can see where I've brought the dock cable over the center hump at the base of the center console.

·
Registered
86 Posts
nice suggestions...I just got a new 987 so I am looking for iphone car dock also...but i want it to look clean and also be able to plug in my iphone charger(for nav purposes) ....I like the liquidAUX looks pretty clean....

·
Registered
38 Posts
xmatt--how about a photo from driver's perspective to see how much, if any, obstruction from steering wheel exists. Any ventilation issues? I'm considering proclip mount where you have it vs their other option in right lower part of console.

·
Registered
186 Posts
xmatt--how about a photo from driver's perspective to see how much, if any, obstruction from steering wheel exists. Any ventilation issues? I'm considering proclip mount where you have it vs their other option in right lower part of console.
The wheel doesn't obstruct the phone's screen -- it's a pretty ideal position i think. Ventilation isn't really a big deal since there's enough room for air to mostly flow around the phone.

It's not exactly from the driver's position, but I do have this picture:

By the way, ProClip makes a bunch of mount options, including some that are made to easily rotate the phone horizontal. These mounts have a little tab that grabs the top edge of the phone. I actually bought one of these, but discovered that rotating the phone actually does interfere with the windshield wiper control stalk. I just cut off that tab part and I'm happy, but I wouldn't bother getting the mount with that if I were to do it again.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I use the ProClip mounted on the left side by the air vent. But, instead of using the adaptor, I have velcro on the ProClip and the rubber iPod cover. I use a CDN gooseneck adapter in the ashtray for either the iPod or iPhone when I am using both in the CS.

·
Registered
284 Posts
the pro clip seems to come with a rather ugly white/red sticker - have you guys just removed it (and it's easy to cleanly remove without getting gooey stuff all over?) ?

·
Registered
284 Posts
ok, I ordered one - hope it will work nicely (my kensington mount broke after 5 month... though it's 8x cheaper but lets see)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts