Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

New to the forum, had a 2013 981 Boxster S a few years ago and sold it. That was a dumb move and now I want to get back into another Boxster S or a GTS. Besides posting in the classifieds here, I have been looking at the following websites to find a specific set of options for my future Boxster 981:

Cars.com
Cargurus
Autotrader
Carvana
Carmax
Rennlist
Facebook Marketplace
Craigslist

Are there any other places that any that I am missing?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Add True Car

I found mine on Cargurus a month ago. Make sure you put a “Nationwide” search on the search filter. Best tip i can give you?
Be Very Patient.
This is a buyer’s market — Negotiate & Haggle. Im from CA & i got mine from Utah.
They gave me $3K more for my trade in than what Carmax or Carvana would’ve given me.
I negotiated for them to ship the 981S to me AND pickup the trade in from my driveway - Free.
I communicated with numerous dealers, and a couple times i thought i found the best car, but they would throw a “deal-breaker” or something my gut told me was not right —Walk Away (or in my case, keep scrolling) —only to find the Best deal in the end.

I got a 2014 981S with most the options i wanted.. really well taken care of, mechanically & cosmetically, 20K miles for $44.5K — They even threw in a brand new set of tires & brake pads (OEM brands as it came with the car)

Goodluck — the hunt is Fun. Getting that perfect car — Rewarding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great find Stripes and thanks for the the additional source. Same for Napatom. I've missed out on a GTS and an S this last month, but they seem to come on the market at about 5 or so BS's per week. GTS are much less frequent. Appreciate the words of encouragement. Getting all the right options is definitely a waiting game.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found mine last year through Cargurus too, although I used most of the other sources mentioned here. One thing I'd mention is that there's a couple of options which you can install OEM after the fact, Porsche Sport Exhaust and X73 sport suspension, so if like me you were waiting for the right car with those options but find one that has everything else you want, you can always get those installed after the fact.
Good luck with your search, it's well worth it in the end (y)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I check the listings 2-3 times a day. Its a bit obsessive, but after getting burned twice already it is my new normal.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The hunt is half the fun ..... the best site to use while searching all of the above is VIN Analytics it will tell you every option and original sticker price.

I had some hard to find must haves during my search, but it made the hunt even more fun.
Finally found my unicorn on Autotrader.com at a Lexus dealership.

You are lucky to be in a buyers market right now and should be able to find some really good deals.

Good luck and happy hunting!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Porsche.com/usa has an inventory search feature as well.

An interesting side story... I found mine on AutoTrader a few years ago, but there was a strange issue with that listing. The car had been up for sale for 5 months when I found it, but for some reason it never showed up in my searches. I couldn't sleep one night and was up at 4 am. I decided to do a search, and voila, it popped up... the exact car I was looking for. I printed the page and saved a link to it. I was glad I did, because the search didn't show it the next time I ran it. I never did figure out what the issue was. I think maybe the VIN was missing in the posting or something, but I like to think the car was being reserved special for me. I got a good deal too because the owner thought no one was interested.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Good luck, sounds like you have all the major sites, except Bring A Trailer... though deals might be harder to find than you think. Good Porsche 981's with the right options aren't seeing any drop in value right now, from what I can see.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ebay as well. I actually had a couple pop up on there that were serious candidates.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys,

New to the forum, had a 2013 981 Boxster S a few years ago and sold it. That was a dumb move and now I want to get back into another Boxster S or a GTS. Besides posting in the classifieds here, I have been looking at the following websites to find a specific set of options for my future Boxster 981:

Cars.com
Cargurus
Autotrader
Carvana
Carmax
Rennlist
Facebook Marketplace
Craigslist

I wanted a 981 GTS manual which limits the choices. I also wanted a CPO car. In October 2018 I searched dealerships and found 24 GTS with only 8 being manuals. Of those 3 were first choice color. 2 on the east coast and 1 near Sacramento, CA which is 3 hours away. Long negotiations by email, phone, finally in person. We finally agreed on the $ and I love this car. Previously I had a 986 Boxster and 987 Boxster S..... the GTS is an amazing car and comes with most all the performance options for a better price.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Coming into the summer season...lots of people are buying them quickly. I have even resorted even wraping the car to get my ideal color. Thankfully they do come on the market often.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Back in 2015 my wife and I drove all over northern CA to several dealerships, both Porsche and otherwise, trying to find the right car a 981 Cayman S. It had to have a manual transmission (difficult in the 981 years), not be silver, black or white, have relatively low miles and not have been tracked. I finally found one in Portland, OR so we flew up to drive it home. The only truly valuable option the car had for me was the PTV (torque vectoring) and low miles. I believe in total my search back then took about 6 months and I drove about a dozen or more cars trying to find the right one. Best to first to identify what options you want and then what options you need to have. The 981s are a great iteration of the Boxter/Cayman. The car is slightly wider and longer and lighter in weight than the previous versions. I've put several options on my car and it is truly a "keeper" as far as I'm concerned. The great thing is that my wife loves to ride in the car but refuses to drive it. Good luck in your search and don't give up hope. I learned when I was quite young that the "best deal" is getting exactly what you want. You'll forget what you paid for the car if it is the one.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys,

Cars.com
Cargurus
Autotrader
Carvana
Carmax
Rennlist
Facebook Marketplace
Craigslist

I may have missed it in the thread but you should also check Bring A Trailer. I found a 2015 Boxster GTS there last year. No Reserve: 10k-Mile 2015 Porsche Boxster GTS

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That BaT 981 GTS was an amazing deal!
I lost out on a well optioned Carmine Red w/ black interior GTS in PA, last week that sold for $53k with 20k miles on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I got it at that price and more importantly it was/is exactly as represented.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys,

Cars.com
Cargurus
Autotrader
Carvana
Carmax
Rennlist
Facebook Marketplace
Craigslist

I found a beauty ... actually 2-3 ... low mileage near new 981 by simple Google. Most were showing up at high end used car dealers. One in Vegas ( Vegas Auto Gallery) was everything I wanted in an S. Still under original factory warranty. I did a virtual test drive online with the dealer’s internet sales guy. Went over the car via FaceTime call with a fine toothed comb.

Since the car was exactly what I wanted (Color, interior, wheels, engine/transmission) I bought it without having personally driven the car, and had it shipped via enclosed car carrier.

I’ve had it almost a year and couldn’t be happier. 😁

There are a lot of these dealers that sell mostly high end cars (Ferrari, Bentley, McClaren, Lambo, etc) in most major cities. Ya just have to search for them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Keep in mind you are looking for somewhat of a unicorn, 981 BGTS, mt, and other options so its not like the owners and dealers dont know what they are selling. I would be careful about the “deal” part if you can afford it, otherwise it could slip Away. Two yrs ago I searched about 4 months via autotrader and cargurus since i was looking for the unicorn as well...2016 CGTS, MT, red/yellow/black, CPO, and other options. I checked sites daily, tracked each car for pricing changes via spreadsheet. I was then tracking a car in AZ that was priced high and then the day it hit my price point i purchased sight unseen. I was prepared to fly next day to view to seal deal but based on discussion and more photos from dealer, i purchased and shipped to AtlantA. So be prepared to act quickly. Also, planet 9 used to give access to dealer inventories if you were a paid subscriber to this site ($25/yr?) but the feature was a little clunky. I did find that nearly every used car was also on autotrader and cargurus. Lastly, i found that typically there were about 30 981’s active listings and just under a third of the listed cars were MTs...rare car. I forget % that were gts. Let us know how your search goes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mostly echo'ing a collection of thoughts from the thread, but I searched 6-8 months for a unicorn as well.. for me it was 981S, sport chrono + PSE + PTV + manual + PASM or sport suspension and had interior color limitations (black or something beige), with less than 35k miles, at least bose audio.. yes those were pretty much all must-haves. Didn't want to spend on GTS which was ~65-75 at the time (3 years ago). Oh, I also wanted CPO, preferably (yes it ended up being worth it).

I mostly relied on Porsche website to find CPOs, they should have all the CPO cars there, but also hawked the other sites you mention. Porsche's used car inventory has the best filter search to narrow down to your asks, if you are particular.

I ended up finding it of course the entire other side of the country in Seattle. Did everything remotely including a third party PPI. Shipping was ~1800 for fully enclosed trailer.

I still had a couple trade-offs like aftermarket wheels as the previous owner probably realized he could get away with it on a trade-in and it had seen maybe one winter, says the headlights and very light scaling on exhaust parts from salt.

I also didn't get a screaming deal (although a lot less than a GTS) but I assure you as hard as it was to think about at the time.. I haven't thought about those $ since they left the bank account.

Take your time, don't be afraid to ship a car, expand your distance, and when you find the right one, jump quick.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great advise from all....My unicorn list isn't too bad 981 BS or BGTS with PDK, Sport Chrono, seat ventilation and black interior. Color can be White, Blue or Red. I can always add PSE and paint the roll bars. PASM, PTV are bonuses.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts