Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Autotempest is also a good resource that aggregates several different sites. Unfortunately, refining the search for options/color is not as easy as Autotrader.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Great advise from all....My unicorn list isn't too bad 981 BS or BGTS with PDK, Sport Chrono, seat ventilation and black interior. Color can be White, Blue or Red. I can always add PSE and paint the roll bars. PASM, PTV are bonuses.
robpops, I've done a lot of research and here is what I've found. Though all of my research is on Caymans

S models it is hard to find Sport Chrono. Obviously included in the GTS versions
Seat ventilation is also quite rare
PASM very rare on S models
PTV extremely rare on S models

Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cars.com has plenty of issues with the coding of their website. They show 115 Cayman 981 S listing, but 94 of those listings are for the same car currently offered by Carvana.

Seriously, why does Carvana need to post the same car in 94 different markets and why can't Cars.com find a way to eliminate the Caravana duplicate listings when the users are searching the entire country or large regions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah I've noticed that too, also Carvana regularly has some of the worst pictures of cars out of any of the ads, you would think if your business is selling cars online only, you'd have the owners take lots and lots of pictures with good lighting, but every car I was interested in from Carvana had just small, non-detailed pictures, really made me discount alot of their ads, seems like instead of giving you a good idea of what you are buying they just count on the fact that if you don't like the car you can return it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Other than the multiple Carvana listings...yes this is pretty ridiculous in this day, here are some of the other complications that I found.

1. Many cars were listed with Automatic transmission that were actually manual transmission cars.
2. Most sites can't search on specific Porsche options, PAMS, X73, Sport Chrono, 14-way vs 18-way vs 2-way seats.

I gave up using the web-site filters as I found them unreliable. I wrote some scripts to scrape VIN, Price, Mileage and a few other items from Cars.com and Auto.com. Unfortuately, they are not fully automated.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've had decent luck selling motorcycles on eBay and I even bought a MB CLS63 that I saw on eBay, but did the transaction with the dealer directly.

vroom is another site to check out, but it doesn't look like they have any Boxsters at the moment. I've never purchased through vroom, but the concept sounds similar to carvana.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Cargurus is good. Autolist too. It took me a year to find the right one between selling my 987.1 to a newer 981. Eventually found mine on Carvana delivered right to my door. And a great deal to boot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good luck with the hunt. As mentioned in earlier replies, "The hunt" can be a lot of fun. I spent about 2 months searching for a replacement for an Audi S5 (SC-v6) so I was looking for a suitable (comparable) replacement coupe to be a DD and yet be a ton-o-fun on those long-way-home commutes and weekend back road fun. I knew I was looking for something around 2015. Was looking for Cayman S, Audi TT RS, or Jag F-type S. For the Cayman S search... was looking for lo-miles... PDK... and either Guards Red, White, or Silver/Gray with upgraded interior options, etc.. I used Carguru, Edmunds.com, and Truecar.com as primary search tools -- looking around the west coast. I found several at dealerships... with mileage in the "20'-30'sK" range... most being mid-level optioned -- along with some pretty interesting asking prices. Long story short... I eventually found a '15 CS Guards Red, and all the other specs at a boutique dealership in downtown Portland, OR. (I also found a couple of Jag F-Type R & S in the Portland area too.) I took the time to drive down from Olympia, WA to do a day of inspections and test drives. I could have gone ether way (CS or F-type) but was able to make the best deal on the CS. It only had 6,700 miles on the clock.. .1-owner car from Beverly Hills, CA... and was in pristine condition. Went home... worked the deal for about 3-5 days... then did the deal. I took Amtrak down to Portland, uber to dealership... some paperwork and then had a great 4 hour ride home (normally 2 hrs... guess which way I took!) I had a Porsche dealership do an inspection and found tires were cracking (due to age) which had to be replaced. And b/c the car was over 4 years old (albeit lo-miles), it needed the 4yr/40K big service (which includes replacement of spark plugs). That was done. In retrospect, I should have done the PPI beforehand (broke my own rule... but the car had other interested parties and I didn't want to loose it, so I got impulsive...) All-in-all, a fun experience.. and this is my first Porsche (although long sought-after) and I'm loving it! Side note: I also purchased (at a discount) a 5 year, 50K bumper to bumper warranty as the car was not offered as CPO (which is basically what CPO equates to... a warranty). Hope you find your dream 981!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The search is coming to an end

Two finalists:
Both clean history cars, no accidents on carfax/autocheck reports, all services done at dealers for both.
2013 BS fully loaded 20k miles for $45.5k every option including sport exhaust
OR
CPO 2015 BGTS fully loaded except ventilated seats (has alacantra), 20k miles for $55.9 plus has xpel, radiator grilles and clear turn signal indicators
In term of options, the cars are identical. I personally think the rarity of the GTS, the 2 year age difference and cpo make up the $10k delta in price. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
34,219 Posts
Personally I would go for the BGTS assuming you plan to sell on. I bought a BS because it had everything I wanted and had no intention to sell on.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
As state Xpel worth it as is the CPO plus 2 years newer & trim upgrade
If I could afford it go for 2015 GTS seems worthwhile

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a 2014 cs I bought 4th hand, I'm pretty sure you couldn't tell it is 2 years older than a 2016. $10k is a big difference, i'll only say that I don't regret buying a 2014 instead of 2015 or 2016.

GTS models come with all the electronic gizmos but they also come with 20" wheels that are going to make the ride a little rougher. Not sure which wheels this BS comes with, but that is also something to think about.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
BS is 20" also

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Both cars have 20 inchers, both also have PASM which should help soften any of the harshness from the ride.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Dear Rob, in the last ten years, I have enjoyed driving a 2008 Cayman base, 2014 CB, 2014 CS and now a 2015 CGTS. Having driven a combined 75000+ miles (including track days and drag racing), these cars with the only mechanical issue being one flat tire, I have high confidence in their reliability. I am very careful in maintenance and am also in a position to handle any failure. That said, for what you have noted in your posts, I would highly recommend the CPO car so you have some comfort should an issue arise. I would love to see some photos of your choices.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The wheel sizes and designs are a build option. You could have 19's or 20's. The standard "Boxster S" and "Cayman S" wheels are 19's.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Took a shot at the GTS.
Just got the PPI report from a third party. Rear quarter panel came back as painted. No frame or bolts on the inside where changed or moved, no bondo, so it may just be a scratch that was sprayed over. Respray didn't cover the door either. Brakes where changed but not the rotors and more than a "normal" amount of chipping on the headlights for a car with 20k miles both indicate potential track use. Seller said he didn't track car and had no accidents. Carfax and autocheck came up clean.

I had an issue with another high dollar car I bought with a clean carfax....after 16 months of ownership, an accident was reported during the previous ownership. Apparently Carfax buys accident data from different sources and can add accidents even to a clean carfax after a car is purchased. I learned my lesson and don't want the same thing to happen again, so made sure this PPI included a paint meter.

Now, what do I do? Walk, confront seller about the issue? The PPI tech did say it was minor paint work, but if carfax comes back and bites me again, the car will def drop 10% in value at the very least.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts