Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
I hear where you are coming from I had a late (years later) Carfax come thru also. What that did it was help seriously decrease to sale value when I went to sell the car. The car which I had 38k into and was asking 25k for only sold for 17k and it wasn't even major damage. Market conditions added to the problems so it wasn't just the Carfax that caused the decrease but it didn't help.

It's possible the owner doesn't even know about the damage repair. The dealer or transit company may have done the repair.
Tuff decision; all else being good I would ask the seller about these things that don't match what he's telling you about the car.

I'm going through house sales and purchases right now and the home inspections found things that needed to be address. In one case we had to fix 5-6 things we weren't even aware of. In another it was just bull and they were trying to get some unsubstantiated money off the sale. They never produced the evident to support their claim and when I called them out on it they said oh ok we'll just go with the deal as agreed to. Going to the home inspection on our purchase tomorrow - 20 year old house, been for sale for year and half yet it's a good price so making me wonder what going on here that I'm not aware of yet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Took a shot at the GTS.
Just got the PPI report from a third party. Rear quarter panel came back as painted. No frame or bolts on the inside where changed or moved, no bondo, so it may just be a scratch that was sprayed over. Respray didn't cover the door either. Brakes where changed but not the rotors and more than a "normal" amount of chipping on the headlights for a car with 20k miles both indicate potential track use. Seller said he didn't track car and had no accidents. Carfax and autocheck came up clean.

I had an issue with another high dollar car I bought with a clean carfax....after 16 months of ownership, an accident was reported during the previous ownership. Apparently Carfax buys accident data from different sources and can add accidents even to a clean carfax after a car is purchased. I learned my lesson and don't want the same thing to happen again, so made sure this PPI included a paint meter.

Now, what do I do? Walk, confront seller about the issue? The PPI tech did say it was minor paint work, but if carfax comes back and bites me again, the car will def drop 10% in value at the very least.
Personally I'd walk if you think it's had multiple track use and body damage.... just seems like there was probably an incident at the track that wasn't reported to insurance unless it's a price you just can't beat and are ok with the fact that those things might have happened.

Also, you could get a highly spec'd BS or CS with pretty much everything the GTS has without the looks of the front end and save $15K or more.....

Mine had most of the options a GTS has minus the PSE and I saved $20K over the next priced GTS on the market at the time(most Cayman GTS were going for around $65K) by going with a Cayman S...At $65k I would probably get an R8

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
From what robpops has said; he's been looking everywhere and best choices he's found are a 2013 BS for 45k or this 2015 GTS with a CPO for 55k
I may be wrong but it doesn't seem as if he's currently finding a similar BS car at 35k.
I'm not shopping the car so I don't know what out there right now but seems like he's searching many many sources and finding his acceptable choice in these 2.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
All highly optioned BS cars with similar GTS options are $44-$46k for a 2013-2014 model with approx 20k miles. BS cars with 50k miles are around $36k but all have a variety of issues like missing options, 3-4 owners, accident and/or lack of service history.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had my '15 full front Xpel (nose, all of frunk lid, front qtr panels and lower rocker panels -- $2400 (US). A CPO warranty has some value since a 5yr, 50K bumper to bumper warranty is about $3200 (US). Good luck with the decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would suggest also to check private party sellers as it worked pretty well in my case.

About a year ago I was looking for 981 Boxster. I was looking based on history and condition.
I found ideal one with the color combo I was looking for (mahogany/beige).
It was 2013 Boxster Base with almost no options but seller and condition were perfect.
After 6 years and 45k miles car was still on factory tires that had plenty of thread, brakes and rotors were also original with 60% left. PPI and DME looked like this car was never driven. It was private party purchase and after small talk with seller I knew that I want to buy it.

I was hesitating to buy because car was with almost zero options (no nav, no climate control, standard audio, no keyless entry, halogen lamps). But at the end of the day I’m more than happy with purchase and don’t feel like I miss the options (except xenon lights probably) when I’m driving this baby on canyon road with top down

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
After 6 years and 45k miles car was still on factory tires that had plenty of thread, brakes and rotors were also original with 60% left. PPI and DME looked like this car was never driven.
Originally delivered tires, brakes and rotors were also original with 60% left. That does not seem possible. You must drive it easily. Amazed !

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
After 6 years and 45k miles car was still on factory tires that had plenty of thread, brakes and rotors were also original with 60% left.
I do not want to rain on your parade, but that seems highly improbable. Tires especially so. If what you said is the truth, I personally would change them regardless. 6 years old tires have high chance to have initiated dry rot (check closely where tread meets the sidewall, look for cracks, no matter how small).

Brakes are plausible, but still hard to believe. I guess both would be possible if the car was constantly driven in stop-and-go traffic on PDK, without using brakes at all (or very rarely, from low speeds) and never going over 45 mph.

I know I am a moron, but I see no way those rear tires could last more than 20,000 miles no matter how slowly I drive it for fun. Stop-and-go only? That would be plausible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve changed tires just a few weeks ago as my indy shop recommended to do so based on tire age. Interestingly it wasn’t listed in PPI report and about a year I was driving on these tires as I only paid attention to thread and condition. Also it’s a MT car so PDK braking is not the case.

I’m not trying to convince anyone how good was/is my car. It was just a point that owner who doesn’t want to sell car at auction price to dealer because it’s in such a good condition will most probably try to sell it privately. If not the color combo I would probably not even looked at this car as milage was above what I was looking for and list of options was almost blank.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Hi guys, quick update. The search is over....Picked this baby up over July 4th weekend. Its a 2013 Agate/pebble with 20k miles, x73, PDK, ducktail, diffuser, ventilated seats FVD Brombacher exhaust, clear side markers, and GTS taillights. Had a full maintenance history as well. It it striking in person and the previous owner really made it look the way I would have done it so no major added expenses. I had PASM on a previous car, but the x73 is not that jarring.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. Looks very nice - good combo.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts