Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if this was posted before. https://www.caranddriver.com/features/2017-performance-summer-tire-test-feature

It is a comparison of commonly-used, high performance tires including the new Michelin sport 4S which came out on top.
Some comments on sound quality I found useful because I have been unhappy with the sound (tire roar) and impact harshness of the OEM P zeros on my 911 and am contemplating switching to the Michelins in the spring.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thanks for pointing this out. Nicely done test.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I put a set of the Conti extreme sport on --in stock 981 19" sizes-- this past spring and like them. Quiet, sticky and the steering response is good, while a set from TR was just under$1K delivered.

The Mich. PS4 is still n/a in stock 19" sizes, but had they been available in the spring I'd have spent the extra $200 to get them.

Regarding the other tires in the test, I drove a 718S that had the new P Zeros and thought they were much better than the old--but that is really daming praise; plus, they are very expensive relative to the Conti.

I had a set of the GY AS 1 tires on a 987 and thought they were good--but pricey.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Among those choices I agree with the 4S as the pick of the litter. Good all around summer tires with good manners at a fair price. The 4S is mostly available for 19" and 20" wheels so the new cars have something to run on that is more reasonably priced than a dealer fit.

·
Registered
810 Posts
It would be nice if these tests would include the actual top-tier performance tires instead of just touring tires. Grassroots Motorsports and TireRack are the only ones I know that have, but they never do comparisons with the slower tires so it's hard to get good data aside from autocrossers complaining about how slow OEM Michelins and Pirellis are.

You've probably never even heard of these tires, which is a shame as they're all faster than MPS4: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=226

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a good comparison of high performance tires more for racing and auto crossing I suppose.
I guess one can go this way for track use. Good information.

My C4S is a street car and and I am looking more for a combination of performance, longevity and quietness. I guess based on those criteria, the Michelin sport 4s is the best choice. And with a tread wear warranty of 30k miles, it can’t be beat.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It would be nice if these tests would include the actual top-tier performance tires instead of just touring tires. Grassroots Motorsports and TireRack are the only ones I know that have, but they never do comparisons with the slower tires so it's hard to get good data aside from autocrossers complaining about how slow OEM Michelins and Pirellis are.

You've probably never even heard of these tires, which is a shame as they're all faster than MPS4: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=226
Based upon my experience with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s this past year I can say the a good driver on the Michelins will be quicker than a mediocre driver on the listed extreme performance tires. Currently my Boxster has approximately 16K miles on them including some 19 autocrosses. My results at autocross was 2nd in B Street and 14th PAX overall with the local SCCA. Not bad for a 75 year old driving on real street tires.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Based upon my experience with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s this past year I can say the a good driver on the Michelins will be quicker than a mediocre driver on the listed extreme performance tires. Currently my Boxster has approximately 16K miles on them including some 19 autocrosses. My results at autocross was 2nd in B Street and 14th PAX overall with the local SCCA. Not bad for a 75 year old driving on real street tires.
That can be true on any tire, though; back when Street was still Stock, I'd regularly top-10 locally in my SCCA region driving my 986S in an R-comp class on street tires on concrete. If you're a good enough driver, you can make up handicaps like that.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Grassroots Motorsports has released their Michelin Pilot Sport 4S vs Continental ExtremeContact Sport tire test results to the public. It's not yet up on their website, but Andy Hollis (the author) posted the article to his facebook page this morning:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/HollisRacing/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1553312041419423

What I like about GRM's reviews vs TireRack or C&D is that they do things that most of us do, like adjust tire pressure and alignment (TR & C&D stick with OEM cold pressures and OEM-recommend alignments), and thus often get significantly different results. Makes it nice to compare results and sort of extrapolate how each tire will work on a given car. Consensus seems to be ECS is faster wet, MP4S is faster dry, and both are slower than some other top-tier tires like RE-71R or Rival S but will last longer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.