Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know summer tires do poorly as the temperatures drop below 45 degrees, but there is a curious line in the Porsche manual that states extreme cold temperatures can damage them.

What damage and what is extreme? Are they talking of below 32, or perhaps lower like in the teens?

The current cold weather got me curious- car has been stored for the last week and I can't wait to take it out when it goes over 30 tomorrow, ha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
714 Posts
Patience my friend, or all-weather tires. Temps will be above 45 degrees this weekend, At least near me, I'll be putting the Croc through her paces both Saturday and Sunday!:cheers:

·
Registered
668 Posts
The damage may come from the fact that the tires will spin or slip easily and this may cause a higher level of abrasion. I have driven summer tires on cold days and I had a couple of "oh ____" moments due to lack of traction. Be careful if you do head out.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The damage may come from the fact that the tires will spin or slip easily and this may cause a higher level of abrasion. I have driven summer tires on cold days and I had a couple of "oh ____" moments due to lack of traction. Be careful if you do head out.
+1 to this!

Power without control can be dangerous. BE CAREFUL out there!

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I know summer tires do poorly as the temperatures drop below 45 degrees, but there is a curious line in the Porsche manual that states extreme cold temperatures can damage them.

What damage and what is extreme? Are they talking of below 32, or perhaps lower like in the teens?

The current cold weather got me curious- car has been stored for the last week and I can't wait to take it out when it goes over 30 tomorrow, ha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
As others have posted, tire damage can result from lack of traction in extreme cold conditions, but the tires certainly won't degrade on their own if that's what you are concerned about. Summer tires provide sufficent traction in cold temperatures to handle all posted speed limits.

·
Registered
454 Posts
As others have posted, tire damage can result from lack of traction in extreme cold conditions, but the tires certainly won't degrade on their own if that's what you are concerned about. Summer tires provide sufficent traction in cold temperatures to handle all posted speed limits.

Some summer performance tires have tempertures, below which the compound gets messed up.

For example:
"Important Care And Usage Instructions:

The ADVAN A048 was developed using high performance compounds which become brittle at low temperatures, and therefore should not be used in certain conditions. ADVAN A048 tires thus must be stored or used only at temperatures at or above 14°F (-10°C) to maintain performance characteristics and to avoid any damage to the tire or injury to persons or property."

Advan A048 Performance Tires | Yokohama Tire Corp.

ed

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Some summer performance tires have tempertures, below which the compound gets messed up.

For example:
"Important Care And Usage Instructions:

The ADVAN A048 was developed using high performance compounds which become brittle at low temperatures, and therefore should not be used in certain conditions. ADVAN A048 tires thus must be stored or used only at temperatures at or above 14°F (-10°C) to maintain performance characteristics and to avoid any damage to the tire or injury to persons or property."

Advan A048 Performance Tires | Yokohama Tire Corp.

ed
That's interesting. I've used summer tires in the winter for many years, and have never had a problem. In my area temperatures below 14 degrees are very rare, but in other areas I imagine that they may be quite common. so thanks for sharing the info. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've found the Bridgestone summer tires on the car do OK around 40 and even in the 30's, for regular driving.

Today I did drive it, and it was dry but around 20 degrees. Ride felt a bit rough, I could feel every bump and it would send a shutter.

Is this just the tires getting really hard? I don't remember the ride being that harsh over bad roads previously.

Also, I didn't really push it but I did sort of smell burning rubber - did not feel any tirespin or really push it hard. Could the tires be slipping without me knowing under normal acceleration?

I think the point where summer tires become dangerous is in any wet weather, including rain, snow, and ice. I'd avoid those 100% of the time.

I can't find all season tires in the 19 inch size or else I'd get them. I guess the only other option is to get smaller rims with snow tires, but I don't drive the car in the snow so I don't think it is worth it.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
It's just the tires getting very hard. Of course you lose traction in this case, but if the car is driven sensibly, there shouldn't be a problem.

·
Vendor
6,506 Posts
I'd think that rubber compound has certain temperature limits beyond which rubber will degrade on it's own. I.e. boil above the top limit and crack below lower limit. What are those limits for each tire model - that's the $1600 question :)

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
I'd think that rubber compound has certain temperature limits beyond which rubber will degrade on it's own. I.e. boil above the top limit and crack below lower limit. What are those limits for each tire model - that's the $1600 question :)
Agreed. I have seen photos of summer tires that cracked when driven too cold. Never experienced that but my ps2s do feel like grocery cart tires when temps are 20s or below.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I only have 1,700 miles on the tires so far but when they wear down, I am going to get all season. I think the car is fine in the rain, but fuggetit when it is cold and slippery, even with a LSD.

·
Premium Member
2006 CS 6M
13 Posts
I have Yokohama Advan Neova AD008 R (extreme performance summer) on the Cayman I recently purchased. I thought for MI winters, inflating to 40 psi and setting on tire cradles (to avoid flat spotting) would be the best plan for preserving until the weather breaks.
Now I'm not so sure over-inflating was wise???

Belle Tire didn't think it would be a problem as long as moisture & UV level was low.
The mechanic at the Porsche shop said he runs summer tires on his wife's Explorer, year round!

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2010 Cayman S
8 Posts
Today I did drive it, and it was dry but around 20 degrees. Ride felt a bit rough, I could feel every bump and it would send a shutter.

Is this just the tires getting really hard? I don't remember the ride being that harsh over bad roads previously.
The rubber bushings in the suspension get hard at those temperatures, which transmits more noise and vibration to the cabin.

·
Registered
169 Posts
rondo cap, you might look at 19" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in 245/40/19 for the front with 275/40/19 for the rear. The Pilot Sport A/S 4 is the newer/better model of A/S, but the last time I checked they weren't available in either the OEM size or the bigger 245 & 275. There are calculators out there that will show you the differences in tire diameter and speedometer error with the different tires. The one I have used is: Tire Size Calculator - Tire and Wheel Plus Sizing.

I live in the mountains and I'm losing out on spring & fall driving due to temps dropping into the 20's & 30's, with my 19" Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires. I'm probably going to go for all-seasons and give up some performance to gain more driving days. I don't have the room in my garage to store a second set of winter wheels/tires. I'm hoping that the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4's will be available before too long (although I did call Michelin a few months ago and the list of additional sizes did not include the 19" sizes we would need.)

·
Premium Member
2006 CS 6M
13 Posts
I intentionally purchased my car with 18's taking advantage of the taller sidewall due to Michigan potholes. I hit a particularly nasty one with my Jaguar that took out a rim & sliced the sidewall, in a bad Detroit neighborhood no less. Luckily XF have spares - wasn't even late for dinner reservations.
I intend to replace the Yoko's with A/S Michelin once they wear out, but that doesn't address my current conundrum for tomorrow.
I pulled the tire cradles out & went for a quick test drive today @ 29F. I should be fine for tomorrow in the 40's. I'll just have to wait for a reasonably warm dry day to pick the car up after servicing.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
This is a Necro thread from seven years ago that someone dragged back out. I doubt the OP needs further advice at this point :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2006 CS 6M
13 Posts
OP notwithstanding, others may benefit from revisiting.
I apologize, I wasn't aware that there's a time limit on forum postings.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts