Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a sun shield for my cayman s with chrono. I would like something that is not one car fits all but I dont want to pay 75.00 for it either. Can you give me your feedback or review on it, thanks!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
There's a Porsche OEM sun shield. I think the 981 is different than the previous 987. Mine was made for the 987 and it's a little too short for my 981. I don't recall the price. It's not cheap. Any dealer can quote you a price. Know that it's no longer needed for UV protection (which is now embedded in the glass) and only serves to keep the temperature down. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Just side note the windshield laminate in the middle is slightly tinted and blocks uv. The dash and interior is designed to withstand high temperatures without damage. IMO a sunshade is pointless. I'd try park in the shade so the car isn't steaming when I get in.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I believe it is the same as the Covercraft UVS100. I have ones for two different vehicles. It is a good quality product.
Thanks. So these can be gotten (including a storage bag) for about $59 plus shipping (at least from one of the websites Covercraft referred me too) vs. $55 plus shipping from Suncoast. (The Suncoast OEM sunscreen should automatically come with a storage bag. The difference appears only in the labling. Covercraft has no words; OEM says PORSCHE on both the screen and on the bag. A couple of issues here . . .

Suncoast is notorious for overcharging on shipping so anyone getting the screen from them should check shipping charge before placing the order.

The above links prove that the 987 and 981 sunscreens are indeed different. (The 981 is taller.)

Some sites don't yet have "2015" as an option but a 981 windshield is a 981 windshield, so just enter "2014" if needed (assuming you have a 981) and that'll work fine.

·
Registered
895 Posts
My local Porsche dealer came very close to online prices so I bought local. I would suggest going this route if possible for a number of reasons, but for me, in this case, it worked out as I had to return mine and that was very easy.

I returned it as it left a 2.5-3 inch gap on the side. Way too big IMO. I bought an intro-tech one from autoanything.com and it is too short vertically so I'll prolly return that. Prices were about the same at $50-$55.

Good luck,

Eddie

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I guess I'll be going the OEM route with the logo, will this scratch the mega soft paint used on the A pillars????

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have the oem, it fits in the trunk well, looks great in the bag, Ive not taken it out yet, probably won't need to. The bag is nice :) I'm no help at all :)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Just side note the windshield laminate in the middle is slightly tinted and blocks uv. The dash and interior is designed to withstand high temperatures without damage. IMO a sunshade is pointless. I'd try park in the shade so the car isn't steaming when I get in.
Pointless for UV--true! Remaining issue is inside temp. If a hot interior is no big deal for you, then as you say, pointless.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I had the OEM for my 987s and have the fitted one for my 981. They are extremely easy to deploy, do a good job reflecting and the way they completely cover the inside windshield protecting the entire dash makes it worth it to me. I keep mine behind the passenger seatback making it easy to get to yet out of sight when not in use. It helps a bit with the heat but the main reason I use one is to protect the interior from UV. You really become aware of that living in Florida.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You can't honestly think that years and years of exposure to very high temps, compared to cooler temps, makes no difference to the interior materials.

Either way I hate getting into a hot car, esp with hot seats - my back never cools if that happens! Sunscreen is totally worth it in a hot climate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
The 987 Porsche sunshade fits very well and is easy to use, but when I used it with my 987.1 Sand Beige interior it wore away the finish on the dash. If you look at the dash and note the raised triangular area in the middle of the dash the area right up near the windshield gets worn from daily placement of the sunshade. It was a big disappointment since it had worn off the finish by the time I noticed it. So I went with a foam covered foil unit from CARiD which works well. Just FYI, I have measured temps in the rear of both of my black Caymans to be 174F when the car was sitting all day in 90+ F heat. We don't have covered parking or shade trees where I work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts