Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love everything about my 2017 Boxster. However, one minor issue is bugging me....
Is it possible to disengage the sunvisor from it's normal forward facing position and swing it to the side window?
The clip that holds in the non-hinge side seems to be so tight and firm, the visor will not unclip to be swung over.
What am I missing??

· Vendor
6,514 Posts
they probably expect you'd be wearing sunglasses ;)
While not providing sunglass cubbie usual on other cars... Good thing T-Design solved that problem!

· Registered
255 Posts
It's a 'convertible' thing!
Sadly, most convertibles are built with non-pivoting visors. I haven’t gotten a good explanation why, after a fair amount of hunting. I also took the outer covers for the visor mountings off the windshield header – note, this part is the receiver for the top hold-down.
Once you do that, and disconnect the center mountings, the visor arms could pivot, but the angles are all wrong and the visor arms bind after about a 60 degree swing, which is not far enough.
As you no doubt already are aware, the windshield header for the Boxster and Cayman are completely different, so there is no way to exchange parts from a Cayman into a Boxster.
And I am frustrated by this, too.

· Registered
3,595 Posts
Sadly, most convertibles are built with non-pivoting visors. I haven’t gotten a good explanation why, after a fair amount of hunting. I also took the outer covers for the visor mountings off the windshield header – note, this part is the receiver for the top hold-down.
Once you do that, and disconnect the center mountings, the visor arms could pivot, but the angles are all wrong and the visor arms bind after about a 60 degree swing, which is not far enough.
As you no doubt already are aware, the windshield header for the Boxster and Cayman are completely different, so there is no way to exchange parts from a Cayman into a Boxster.
And I am frustrated by this, too.
I suspect Porsche is worried that the top could close on the visor, but I don't know why they can't just design a better visor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
255 Posts
I suspect Porsche is worried that the top could close on the visor, but I don't know why they can't just design a better visor.

it's not just Porsche.. i think that quite a few other sports car makers don't offer pivoting visors. all that's necessary is for the visor to pivot downwards enough to clear the top, or to limit its outward rotation enough to prevent interference. there is apparently some other reason which i cannot figure out - regulatory??

· Registered
3,595 Posts
it's not just Porsche.. i think that quite a few other sports car makers don't offer pivoting visors. all that's necessary is for the visor to pivot downwards enough to clear the top, or to limit its outward rotation enough to prevent interference. there is apparently some other reason which i cannot figure out - regulatory??
Regulatory--I like that guess.

· Registered
3,595 Posts
The manual seems to indicate the visor can be rotated to the side window, but it seems I'd have to break the clip holding it in order to get it to release. I'm going to ask the dealer about it next time I'm there.
Let us know what you find out, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took mine to the dealer to get the broken clip fixed (yes, I forced it!!).
I talked to the mechanic afterwards and when I asked how to do it, he said "don't!". Despite what the manuals say .... it's clearly not designed to swing to the side.

· Registered
6 Posts
Ok, I think I fixed mine. If you take the clip off that holds the inside part of the sun visor (using a torx bit), you'll see it's made up of 2 separate parts that come apart. They can be put together in 2 different ways.

The first picture below shows how mine was assembled and which doesn't allow the visor to release. But if you assemble it as in the 2nd photo, there's a considerable gap which allows the visor to release. I took a short test drive and the visors seem fine with the new configuration -- no rattling or falling out of the clip. This mod is also fully reversible.

Attachments

· Registered
1 Posts
Ok, I think I fixed mine. If you take the clip off that holds the inside part of the sun visor (using a torx bit), you'll see it's made up of 2 separate parts that come apart. They can be put together in 2 different ways.
Did you do this on a 2017 718 Boxster? On mine, I removed the torx screw which releases the visor with the retainer assembly dangling. Before disassembling the retainer, I tested moving the sun visor to the side. It did move, of course, BUT the top of the sun visor was stopped by a socket the roof goes into when it closes, and this prevents the visor from going further than about 45 degrees to the side. The socket would clearly not be there in a Cayman and the roof frame trim would probably be set to allow the visor to swing all the way to the side. On the 2017 Boxster, the visor would be right in your face at its maximum swing to the side.

Sigh.

· Registered
269 Posts
Did you do this on a 2017 718 Boxster? On mine, I removed the torx screw which releases the visor with the retainer assembly dangling. Before disassembling the retainer, I tested moving the sun visor to the side. It did move, of course, BUT the top of the sun visor was stopped by a socket the roof goes into when it closes, and this prevents the visor from going further than about 45 degrees to the side. The socket would clearly not be there in a Cayman and the roof frame trim would probably be set to allow the visor to swing all the way to the side. On the 2017 Boxster, the visor would be right in your face at its maximum swing to the side.

Sigh.
Yup. Despite what the manual says, the clip for the roof blocks the visor insides from turning far enough to be useful.

D*mn, and I was hoping my Boxster was perfect.:)

Greg

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.