Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With our project car fully up and running we wanted to give a little info about it as there aren't too many 718's at the track, at least not in FL as we've seen. Little back story, we used to run a 2008 Cayman S 6-speed that was built more as a little parts display car and then we started tracking it heavily. Admittedly it was never really set up for the track and it got to the point last year where it needed a complete overhaul so we decided to let it go to a local friend who has since turned it into a full blown track car. After that the search began for a new project. We were set on a 981 but we had a perfect 2017 718 Cayman S fall into our lap so we snagged it with 10k miles on the clock along with PDK, Sport Chrono, PASM, and PTV. We wanted to see what this turbo motor was all about.

We have just completed back-to-back weekends at Sebring with PBOC Florida and the Suncoast Region PCA. The car ran flawlessly, save for a bit of heat soak with consecutive run groups (student and then advanced solo) in this ridiculous central Florida heat . We were able to turn consistent 2:26's in the solo group still feeling out the car. Night and day difference from the old 987. Next time out is in October with PCA at Sebring

Here's some photos and all of the modifications we have done so far. If you see us out and about in FL flag us down and say hello!

718 Bridge resize.jpg

37373944_10102080421402645_617127443987169280_n.jpg

View attachment 204063

41312915_10102133990928885_5045752477266214912_n.jpg

41903804_10102141422805345_6296038906198491136_n.jpg

Capture.JPG

Genuine PORSCHE Upgrades:

Alcantara GT Sport Steering Wheel

Alcantara PDK Shift Knob

Alcantara Center Console Lid

Clear LED Side Marker Lights

PORSCHE Motorsport GT4 Clubsport Tow Hook Straps

Suncoast Center Radiator Upgrade Kit

Aftermarket Upgrades:

COBB Tuning Accessport

Recaro Profi XL Seats

Schroth Profi II 6-pt Harnesses

Heigo Roll Bar

19” OZ Ultraleggera Wheels

Bridgestone RE-71R Tires

H&R PASM Lowering Springs

TechArt Front Spoiler Lip

NR Auto Rear Wing

Girodisc 350mm/325mm 2-Piece Slotted Brake Rotors

PFC Brake Pads

Castrol SRF Racing Brake Fluid

FVD Brombacher Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines

AWE Tuning Track Edition Exhaust

BMC Air Filter

Forge Motorsport Recirculation Valve

AWE Tuning Mirror Diffusers

Wrap by Vivid Graphix – Tampa, FL

Ceramic Coating by First Impression Autoshield – Sarasota, FL

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick Update:

First and foremost thank you to everyone who stopped by our trailer and vendor display at the Suncoast Region PCA driver's ed weekend at Sebring. We are back home and here's our initial impressions after a few more modifications to our Project 718.

We mentioned earlier some heating issues with the car and our need to address that in the very near future. Last weekend we were at Homestead-Miami Speedway with PBOC Florida and on three out of four track sessions our car went into Limp Mode on the last lap of those sessions. We saw oil and coolant temps through the roof so the car shut itself down to preserve itself. We had just installed our COBB Tuning Accessport and were running their 93 octane file. The COBB tune is incredible and the car is an absolute beast, but just like before at Sebring the car suffered from the high Florida heat and no cooling. We ran some logs and were communicating with COBB all weekend. Those guys are awesome and were keeping an eye on the data for us.

Fast forward to this past Friday and we installed our factory center radiator upgrade kit (https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...8RADIATOR.html) and drained the OEM coolant/antifreeze in exhange for a water/Royal Purple water wetter combination. Dislcaimer: We live in Florida where we do not see freezing temps and our car is not street driven often so we don't need coolant/antifreeze. This is not recommended for all applications and regions of the world, please check with a local technician.

Temperatures were down 20-30 degrees across the board and the car did not skip a beat. Once again we ran the car in two run groups (Blue and White) on both Saturday and Sunday. The torque from the tune is a punch in the face and our PSM light was constantly flashing. We were playing with (and surprising) 991 GT3 and GT4 guys all weekend. We managed to tick off a 2.25 lap using the paddles in Sport Plus in white group with a bit of traffic and were hitting over 140mph on the back straight. That being said we are convinced that if you live in the south you NEED to add the center radiator to help with cooling.

Thanks again to everyone who stopped by and we'll see you again at Instructor's Weekend in a few weeks

-Suncoast Parts

View attachment 204071

36720008_10102069718815715_6372758627106684928_n.jpg

image3.jpeg

View attachment 204077

image2 (1).jpeg

image2.jpeg

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice! Might grab that radiator at some point. You guys have plans to test the GTS intake manifold on the S?
We actually ordered some of those in when they first became available but it looks like quite the job and we're honestly not sure how much, if anything, it would do on a base or S engine. Those were designed for the GTS specifically so without actually doing a before and after dyno pull we have no idea. They are relatively cheap if anyone is feeling up to the job

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU718MANIFOLD.html

·
Registered
48 Posts
looks great, i will have to order the radiator kit soon! did you tear off the front lower lip of the techart lip spoiler at the track?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Wow that looks great! What a great dealer to work for! :) I bought my first Boxster from Tom Towle almost 16 years ago! Shipped it to Indiana...in February! :D

Delivery Day.PNG

View attachment 204111

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks great, i will have to order the radiator kit soon! did you tear off the front lower lip of the techart lip spoiler at the track?
We did actually....... :( It came off at some point at the track because we have photos of the morning with it on and the afternoon with it missing. No idea how it happened but we got a new one that just arrived

·
Registered
915 Posts
Nice!!! Tom is still here with us
That’s cool. He was top notch and it was one of the BEST car buying experiences I’ve ever had. All via phone and FedEx, Exoctic Car transport and it was home. One of the best days of my life, so much fun and excitement. I tried to work with him on my Cayman but we just couldn’t get it done. c'est la vie.

Posted using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Quick Update:

We were playing with (and surprising) 991 GT3 and GT4 guys all weekend. We managed to tick off a 2.25 lap using the paddles in Sport Plus
Nice car! I saw Warren Hense at Sebring with this car back in June and it looks awesome.

The 718's are much quicker than earlier Caymans, and do run with most GT4's.

I've run my own 718 GTS at Sebring a couple of times, and the little four banger turbo is a beast. Mine is bone stock, other than the brakes (Pagid Yellows and Castrol SRF fluid). It easily runs 2:26's on the stock tires (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S) without pushing very hard. By comparison, I also have a Cayman R that is fully track prepped, and have to really push to get a 2:26 or lower out of her, on Hoosiers.

I haven't really pushed in the 718 since it's got no harness or roll bar. It's clearly capable of running at least a couple seconds quicker with a more skilled driver. And slap on some Hoosiers and I expect these cars are capable of a 2:22 or lower.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice car! I saw Warren Hense at Sebring with this car back in June and it looks awesome.

The 718's are much quicker than earlier Caymans, and do run with most GT4's.

I've run my own 718 GTS at Sebring a couple of times, and the little four banger turbo is a beast. Mine is bone stock, other than the brakes (Pagid Yellows and Castrol SRF fluid). It easily runs 2:26's on the stock tires (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S) without pushing very hard. By comparison, I also have a Cayman R that is fully track prepped, and have to really push to get a 2:26 or lower out of her, on Hoosiers.

I haven't really pushed in the 718 since it's got no harness or roll bar. It's clearly capable of running at least a couple seconds quicker with a more skilled driver. And slap on some Hoosiers and I expect these cars are capable of a 2:22 or lower.
Thank you! Warren did have it out for a few laps before the summer but that was it. It's been tracked pretty hard the last two months with PCA and PBOC.

We're still learning the car but I (Pete) think this is a definitely a 2:22-2:23 car the way she sits. With no passing in the corners in White group I've gotten held up a bit from T3-T6 and from Bishops to T-16 so with a completely traffic-free lap I think I could shave a couple seconds off the 2:25 I did this past weekend. We'll back in a few weeks for Instructor's Weekend and hopefully some cooler weather

·
Registered
48 Posts
We did actually....... :( It came off at some point at the track because we have photos of the morning with it on and the afternoon with it missing. No idea how it happened but we got a new one that just arrived
any idea if it was because of impact or too much downforce on the part? i just installed the techart front lip as well.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
any idea if it was because of impact or too much downforce on the part? i just installed the techart front lip as well.
Not too sure to be honest. When we lifted the car up we noticed most of the screws and rivets underneath were either loose or missing. We're received the new lip and will be reinforcing it so this doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for this thread!

Any idea if COBB is planning some kind of “stage 2” tune to go along with a full catless exhaust system? I’ve also got the AWE track exhaust on my car, and I’m hoping to go catless + COBB tune in the spring when the car comes out of winter storage. I know they mentioned cooling issues in their initial blog post, but I haven’t heard anything since then. I’d be fine getting accompanying cooling upgrades as needed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Guys,

Seems the Suncoast car is one of the few 718s I see running an ECU tune. What is involved? Any reason why there do not appear to be many 718s with a tune?

-L76

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for this thread!

Any idea if COBB is planning some kind of “stage 2” tune to go along with a full catless exhaust system? I’ve also got the AWE track exhaust on my car, and I’m hoping to go catless + COBB tune in the spring when the car comes out of winter storage. I know they mentioned cooling issues in their initial blog post, but I haven’t heard anything since then. I’d be fine getting accompanying cooling upgrades as needed.
We do know that Stage 2 is in the works but we don't know what the specifics will be. For certain applications COBB has Stage 1-2-3 and Stage 1+ 2+, 3+ etc which up things just a bit and have different hardware requirements. We can't speak to what they're developing at this time because we don't know for sure.

You do have the option to contact one of several Pro Tuners in the US which can create a tailor made tune to your liking. We recommend John and BGB Motorsports for all pro tuning needs. They will look at your specific vehicle and create an individual file for you and your end goals.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Guys,

Seems the Suncoast car is one of the few 718s I see running an ECU tune. What is involved? Any reason why there do not appear to be many 718s with a tune?

-L76
We can definitely confirm there are very few 718's being tracked and COBB told us we are the only ones in the country who are tracking their software as heavily as we are. We are always communicating with them and sending them real data information.

We've tracked our car five times since September and I think I've only see 4 total 718's out there, and only one other in the advanced groups we run in. The tune process is very simple, but you do need to send it off to COBB as they will have to "unlock" the ECU. Check out the instructions here:

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PRS/pages/478412868/Porsche+Cayman+718+982+ECU+and+PDK+Removal

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PRS/pages/554500102/991.2+718+ECU+Flash+Guide

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's been a while since we updated this thread so here's some news about our 718 Cayman S build:

Since we last posted we have added a Soul Performance Competition Package with catless downpipe and valved exhaust. We are testing a pro-tune from BGB Motorsports and dialing in the car before track season.

We made a trip to Titan Motorsports in March and put the car on the dyno at their open house. We made 371 wheel horsepower on a 93 base tune from COBB and a very small splash of race gas. That was back when we had the AWE Track Edition exhaust. With Soul's setup and the BGB pro-tune we should be making more power now.

We have logged about 1300 track miles in less than a year and we're back out at Sebring in September. We did have some continued cooling issues however. In May we removed the rear underbody panel and bought an electric blower to aim at the intakes in between track sessions. The car ran much better at our last track event and did not have any turbo overheating problems. We also added some mesh radiator grills from the Radiator Grill Store for some added protection.

Here's some recent photos and come videos. Thanks for following!

PCA 48-32-XL.jpg

67119813_10102457369291055_5828732518634881024_o.jpg

66855629_10102457369340955_2112840768207978496_o.jpg

53026344_10102309116221395_3764658333819076608_o_594bdc848b83794ada4bb7b76dcaf6a6ea41517b.jpg

52911266_10102309116336165_4968261826908258304_o_0776bc3685be495d7e1ed255d6b0650e432c40cb.jpg

img_0184_7307f6f3abf321ebf5c3a2352147632b67f981bb.jpg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts