Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m a new Suncoast PCA member. I’m interested in more information on the Sep 15-16 ‘Drivers Education’ event on the chapter web site:

https://suncoastpca.org/event/drivers-education-19/

Has anyone here been to one of these?

I’m also interested in other club events. I work during the week so haven’t been able to get out to any of the Suncoast social events yet to meet anyone.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Hopefully a region member will chime in, but I'd say go for it. If you go to Clubregistration.net and search for that event you should find some additional details and attachments. You can also contact the registrar for the event. Hope that helps

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully a region member will chime in, but I'd say go for it. If you go to Clubregistration.net and search for that event you should find some additional details and attachments. You can also contact the registrar for the event. Hope that helps
Thanks I’ll try and follow up,

I just have no clue what ‘Driver Education’ is.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Driver Education is exactly what you want. I am short on time, others will chime in and explain thoroughly. Warning: Tracking is additive, but it is the good kind of addiction!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
On the link you posted, go to activities- drivers education and there is a little summary. Generally for PCA there will be 5 "run groups" based on experience/skill and you will go out on track for about 20-25 min sessions and learn to drive at speed on the track. Usually 4 sessions per day with classroom sessions also. For a first time novice you'll have a certified instructor with you in the car. Fair warning that it can be addictive and can be expensive if you catch the bug. Very likely you will make new friends and have a lot of fun. You'll also be a much better and safer street driver. You can also search here for "first time HPDE" or similar. There have been previous threads. Best of luck, hope you make it out there.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the link you posted, go to activities- drivers education and there is a little summary. Generally for PCA there will be 5 "run groups" based on experience/skill and you will go out on track for about 20-25 min sessions and learn to drive at speed on the track. Usually 4 sessions per day with classroom sessions also. For a first time novice you'll have a certified instructor with you in the car. Fair warning that it can be addictive and can be expensive if you catch the bug. Very likely you will make new friends and have a lot of fun. You'll also be a much better and safer street driver. You can also search here for "first time HPDE" or similar. There have been previous threads. Best of luck, hope you make it out there.
Thank you very much, I missed that. That is exactly what I needed.

I’m pretty new (read clueless) to driving a Porsche. I would be at the beginner of the beginners line lol.

I’ll look into a helmet and the required tech inspection. My car had a brake fluid exchange at 41k in January at Reeves Tampa, and I’m not sure that qualifies as ‘racing’ fluid.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Reeves is an excellent dealership, and will have the resources to help you out. They sponsor a, once a month, show and tell that should be fun and point you in the right direction.

PCA 'driver's ed' is the start for finding out how amazingly capable your Cayman is, Rich. Sign up now! :drivingskid:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I went along to my first ever PCA "event"; "Pancakes and Porsches" in Safety Harbor FL yesterday. (When this notice popped up on the Suncoast web page I realized it was less than a mile away from where we lived - lol.)

I met a lot of great folks and we had a great time. Thanks to all for answering most of my questions about what is involved in a DE.

I'll definitely follow up in 2019, my work schedule permitting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts