Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen Porsche (and other) race cars with front LEDs that blink ultra-fast, presumably telling the car ahead it's about to be passed. Similarly, I've seen taillights that blink more rapidly with heavier braking. Are either of these available for street Caymans?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Have you seen this effect in person or are you referring to the phenomenon that occurs with LEDs on video?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think the idea came from what experienced and professional drivers used to do in the uk, I don't know about America . They would allow their foot to quickly pump the brake pedal, causing the rear light to flash , it was known here as "cadence braking" .
I believe that the thought behind it was that it would alert the cars behind that an emergency, or faster than normal stopping, was occurring .
Sws

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
For the record, 981s DO NOT have front LED turn-signals, or even headlights. Just DRLs, but those never flash. With bright LED brake lights, plus a high (and long) 3rd one, like in our cars, I don't think flashing is required. But there're modules that can be installed to do just that. They're popular with motorcycles (no 3rd brake light), and some dealers like to install them on cars (at a hefty price) to increase their profits. It's better to leave any modern car's wiring system intact, and just pay attention to your driving, rather than relying on questionable devices to supposedly keep you out of harm's way, like the annoying flashing headlights on motorcycles, but to each his own;).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.