Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
On my 2008 Cayman base I installed black/red seat covers. Then replaced the stock fog lights with DRL LED Spars with radiator mesh. Upgraded the stock radio with a Kenwood DNX892 with rear camera. Then gave her a quick wash.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Aside from the normal oil/filter changes, this past year I:

Replaced the water pump. Porsche OE, bought from an outside supplier for about $120 I think. Replaced because the OE one was pouring coolant. Car had approx. 75,000 miles at the time.

New rear tires, Bridgestone Potenzas just like those they replaced. Cost was about $300, bought slightly used from a former Cayman owner. They replaced worn out tires.

Big job was a new clutch and PP, installed this past winter(Feb/Mar.). Cost was about $500 total, including small parts, SACHs brand, just like OEM. I bought them from a nationally advertised parts company after shopping around for the best price. The clutch was slipping so I put in a new one.

Immediately after the clutch, the shift cable broke, so I replaced the cables with Numeric cables, bought from Numeric for about $500.

Soon after that, I replaced a coil, when one cracked and caused rough running and a CEL. Cost was about $60, got it locally at Advance Auto Parts, and it was Bosch, identical to the OEM coils in the car.

Looking to doing only performance/appearance mods for a while, hoping to get a Carnewal exhaust soon.

·
Premium Member
3,490 Posts
Aside from the normal oil/filter changes, this past year I:

Replaced the water pump. Porsche OE, bought from an outside supplier for about $120 I think. Replaced because the OE one was pouring coolant. Car had approx. 75,000 miles at the time.

New rear tires, Bridgestone Potenzas just like those they replaced. Cost was about $300, bought slightly used from a former Cayman owner. They replaced worn out tires.

Big job was a new clutch and PP, installed this past winter(Feb/Mar.). Cost was about $500 total, including small parts, SACHs brand, just like OEM. I bought them from a nationally advertised parts company after shopping around for the best price. The clutch was slipping so I put in a new one.

Immediately after the clutch, the shift cable broke, so I replaced the cables with Numeric cables, bought from Numeric for about $500.

Soon after that, I replaced a coil, when one cracked and caused rough running and a CEL. Cost was about $60, got it locally at Advance Auto Parts, and it was Bosch, identical to the OEM coils in the car.

Looking to doing only performance/appearance mods for a while, hoping to get a Carnewal exhaust soon.
Mitch:

You're a smart shopper!!!

I'm curious about Numeric cables. Any improvement from stock....aside from not being broken anymore?

:cheers:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Only had since May of this year but so far only clear sidemarkers and Fabspeed exhaust. Car is damn near perfect to me now but I'm sure I'll find something else to do.

Sent from my StarTrek communicator using Tapatalk

·
Registered
574 Posts
Since 8/1 of 2014: Installed DSC module with 3 axis accelerometer, Tarrett adjustable sway bars with drop links, Elephant Racing adjustable lower control arms.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Mitch:

You're a smart shopper!!!

I'm curious about Numeric cables. Any improvement from stock....aside from not being broken anymore?

The Numeric cables give a very definite feel, some describe it as "notchy" but I feel it is more positive than the stock cables. And I don't think they will ever have to honor their lifetime warranty, the things are stout!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I changed the tires of my 2006 987 S. Even though it only has 11k miles, I could see all the sidewalks were cracked and I don't wish to pull a "Rodas Maneuver".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Purchased used in November, full tuneup;
-Pads and Rotors and Fluid
-Oilchange/filter
-Sparkplugs
-Aux Belt
-Cabin and engine filters

Removed all panels on underside and rust-proofed

Installed KW suspension + Elephant Racing Camber plates
Installed new wheels + MPSS tires
Alignment

Replaced random trim bits that were loose or had bad clips

Tinted windows

Replaced door lock mechanism with faulty microswitch

More to come :)

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I posted this on the "what did you do to your 987 today" thread but it probably really belongs here. My 2006 CS is currently residing at TPC receiving the turbocharged 3.7 conversion as well as the stage 1 suspension mod. Can't wait to get it back.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This year:

1) New AOS. Third AOS I've put on this car in the 5 years/60K+ miles I've owned it. Replaced due to failure of ~10-month old unit. Replaced under warranty, so no parts cost to me. All AOS failures from a car which was at that time only driven on the street or at AutoX.

2) Center radiator. Parts were probably ~$450, can't recall exactly because I purchased them a bit piecemeal. Went with the top-vent option (GT3 style). Did the mod as a precaution because I started doing HPDE's this year with the PCA and I wanted to mitigate against potential overheating. As a bonus, it looks cool, but one side effect is that the warm air coming off the new radiator fools the Cayman's thermometer into thinking it is much warmer outside than it really is.

3) LN Engineering Deep Sump Kit (+2QT) with Windage Tray and Baffle. The parts were ~$800. I had this added for the same reason as the extra radiator: to give a better margin of safety on-track and reduce the risk of oil starvation. Also hoped the deeper pan and windage tray might take some strain off the AOS.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Over the last few months, I finally started modifying my 08 CS. I love the way its turning out. Its a street car, but I really want a sporty, racey look. Not all blinged or stanced out like I see everywhere.

I work for a suspension company that is mainly involved in drifting and Japanese car performance ( www.store.partsshopmax.com if anyone cares to check it out). So we have the resources to build some one off coilovers here at the shop for my car. No interest in selling anything for Porsches as thats just not up our alley right now. We put together a full tap coilover system with 8kg/mm front springs, 10kg/mm rear springs with helper springs. Adjustable damping, front camber plates, pillowball front and rear top plates. They feel great for daily driving and random spirited driving. I do prefer my non-drift cars on the firm side.

Wheels are Advan TC3 18x9 and 18x11. Nitto NT05 front and Nitto INVO rear tires.
I just got the alignment dialed in the other day.

align.jpg

Now that the alignment is all good, I need some small wheel spacers to really dial in the front wheel and tire fitment. Other than that, I think its missing some sort of rear spoiler to complete the look.

Added Joe Toth front splitter and dive planes. I really think its the best looking front aero set.

Sorry for the terrible cell phone pix.
caymanphoto.jpg

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I just got my 2006 Cayman S back from TPC racing on Wednesday where it has resided for almost the last 6 months but it was well worth it. The car left my house as a normal 295 HP S and returned as a 3.7 turbocharged monster with 402 RWHP, stage one suspension, and upgraded brakes. It feels like a new car again but with much more low-end grunt that I felt it was lacking as a factory "S" model. I am taking it easy for around 1,000 miles although probably not necessary, but when I do floor it now and then it explodes like a rocket and pulls like Hades. I was a teenager in the late 60's early 70's when cars took 2000 miles to break-in and 0 to 60 mph in 6 seconds was phenomenally fast so I just feel funny hitting it hard so early. But there is no doubt it came back with lots of steroids like an early 2000-2006 Tour De France bicycle racer. With the extra grunt it feels like a much lighter car now and handles like Senna's go-kart. Wish I was 17 again, I may have gone in to a different profession. I'll just have to do one of Porsche's high performance driving experiences and pretend like I'm Pedro Rodriguez (the Hero of my misspent youth). My parents and I watched the end of the 1970 Daytona 24 from the grand stands near the start/finish and hung out there for a little bit after the race. When the crowds had thinned out a little we walked down the stairs and when we got to the bottom, we ran smack dab into Pedro Rodriguez and Leo Kinnunen about to walk up the stairs (maybe to do an interview?). There was literally no one else around us. I could have high-fived Pedro he was so close. I was shocked and dumbstruck and did not attempt to get an autograph which I terribly regret to this day. I was wearing an orange jacket with the Porsche emblem on it and my dad was wearing a Gulf Porsche jacket. Pedro gave us that handsome grin, nodded his head and the two walked up the stairs. I believe he was smiling partially because he could tell how shocked I was. I'm an idiot now, and was then. That was 47 years ago but it is still a crystal clear memory.

·
Registered
82 Posts
In the last year i've made several modifications to my 2008 CS

1) swapped to re71r tires.
2) 18mm wheel spacers on the rear from ECS
3) front strut tower bar i found on ebay forget the brand.
4) tarett Front sway bar and end links
5) rear lower tie bar from rennline
6) jack and tie down plates from rennline
7)replaced oil drain plug with a mishimoto magnetic plug
8)replaced the AOS with a Catch can and adapter fittings from Pit Crew Performance. (i'm working on making these publicly available)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dear 987 owners,

In order to better help us help you, I've put together a brief survey that I would like each 987 owner to answer. We will compile the results and hopefully come up with some offerings that will benefit our members. Please take a few moments to reply to this survey.

Question 1: What modifications have you made to your 987 in the last 12 months?

Question 2: What specific brands/parts have you purchased to make these modifications? (Example: XYZ Company Wheels or ABC Company ECU Tuning)

Question 3: How much did you spend making these modifications? (Estimates are fine, for example "About $2000", etc.)

Question 4: Can you briefly explain why you bought each item you listed? (Example: "Was on Sale", "I considered it the best in the market", etc.)

I appreciate any and all responses to these questions as they will help us make Planet-9 an even better place to be!

Sincerely,
Bought a 2006 S Thanksgiving time 2016. Since it's been awhile since I've had a Porsche (almost 25 years), felt the need to add/change it to fit my needs.
1)
- Repainted front hood and front bumper cover - previous owners must have flown down a gravel road behind a truck for several hundred miles. Pitting was atrocious.
- Front Hood $1260 , bumper cover $600. Found local painter - recommended by several local dealers and others.
- Wrapped front hood and front bumper cover with Suntek PPF. $800 Local installer - good reviews online and close by.
- Installed mesh over radiator openings. Free! - my son had left over McMaster hex mesh.
- Paint correction $210 - Local recommendation from dealer
- Applied Enviroshield/Nano gloss on body panels $50 Duragloss - Brothers Research Corp - Online search and reviews - didn't need/want 10 year warranty since not particularly familiar with "ceramic coatings" for paint. This has 2 year life - thus, if not good enough, won't need to wet sand it off.
- Applied GTechniq C4 on plastic cowls and other black plastic exterior pieces $40 Detailed Image
- Headlight protection film installed $? Clearmask
- Added RemoteKEY module $285 MotiveMods - really liked hearing the VW lock when hitting the key. Would have been nice for Porsche to include this feature.
- Replaced Halogens with HID kit from Philips $318 eBay Blingwork Lighting Australia- now I can see at night. eBay
- Replaced HVAC Temp and Fan rockers $96 Climarepair - softtouch was coming off. Cheapest solution
- Installed Porsche OEM short shifter kit $408 - Porsche San Diego - good price
- Repainted A, C pillar and several other interior pieces because of chipped/missing softtouch paint. $65 Superior Restoration Products. I liked that fact that they could give me rattle cans rather then having to set up a sprayer to paint with a custom mixed color. Superior also had the "Sand Beige" as a standard order item.
- Replaced the headliner after having it almost completely sag. $115 eBay Headliner Doctor + Autozone for 3M adhesive
- Replaced OEM exhaust with FVD Brombacher Sport Exhaust (mufflers & pipes) $1690 -FVD added flex joints as well and Titanium bolts/nuts (Acer Racing) to replace exhaust flange studs. Got a ride in a Carnewal but didn't seem much different than my stock exhaust. Looked at Borla but too loud for me. FVD was a good compromise and slightly cheaper than the others
- Titanium lug nuts $252 Acer Racing

More to come including:
Vehicle mount and electrical connections for my XM radio.
40K service
Repaint remaining plastic interior trim panels

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have had my 2008 2.7 Porsche Cayman for 2 months.
already i have installed
1. the Carnewall GT exhaust , wasnt happy with the stock exhaust sound, these are sooo much better, really happy. Had my local Porsche dealership do the install for me. Purchased on the exchange basis. Cost was 540 Euro + 500 Euro core exchange.

2. Installed aftermarket Porsche 987 Boxster Cayman S "FiBeR OpTiC" Red Smoke LED Tail Lights from these guys. https://vipmotoz.com/collections/porsche-cayman-2008/products/spyder_alt-on-p98705-led-rs-rosso-burgundy-tail-light
pretty easy install , took me 30 mins, theyre just plug'n play, so far i like them, they update the look of the car, have kept the stock ones in case i wanna go back to stock look.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have had my 2008 Cayman 2.7 for 9 years. Finally decided to upgrade. Installed the larger 82mm IPD Plenum/GT3 Throttle body. Went with this after doing a lot of reading different posts on this site. Ordered directly from them, they have been very responsive by email from the time i order and even after i installed the parts. Wanted to start with something not too expensive. Paid $1000.00 for the parts and really enjoy the performance it's providing. This has me thinking of other upgrades i should do... Hmmm.

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,490 Posts
I have had my 2008 Cayman 2.7 for 9 years. Finally decided to upgrade. Installed the larger 82mm IPD Plenum/GT3 Throttle body. Went with this after doing a lot of reading different posts on this site. Ordered directly from them, they have been very responsive by email from the time i order and even after i installed the parts. Wanted to start with something not too expensive. Paid $1000.00 for the parts and really enjoy the performance it's providing. This has me thinking of other upgrades i should do... Hmmm.

Rob
Software flash and a cat-back will complete the job.

Exhaust improvements make a bigger improvement when you have the software, plenum and throttle body on the front end. I have Softronics and like it. There are a couple other choices. These flashes are completely reversable. My CS passes emissions with flying colors with GT3 plenum/TB, Softronics 4.1 software and SpeedArt cat-back. The cat back saves some weight and gets rid of two out of 4 cats on these cars. The primary cats remain. No dash lights and the car still cleans the air OK. Get a cat back that is on the side of lower noise. The loud ones will annoy you and you'll end up getting less use out of the car. Droning is annoying...so don't go there. I got the mild "TUV approved" version of my SpeedART in a group-buy. I've put at least 50K miles on it and still really like it.

A lot of people remove the "snorkel" under the intake grill on the driver's side of the car. This is an easy mod. I run my car through car washes and drive in all sorts of weather conditions. I'm a little afraid of taking in water, so I have never done it. There is an article on removing the snorkel on this site.

I've heard that the K&N intake filter for the Cayman is a little ill-fitting and can leak. I use stock filters. They're so big, I really don't think there's much to gain with a different filter on these cars. The restriction is in the snorkel.

I was reading another post where a guy did an engine swap on a base Cayman. The base Cayman is a ULEV vehicle, apparently. Now, he can't pass CA emissions because he's changed a ULEV car into an LEV car. They've flagged it and he's now trying to sell on Bring a Trailer. It's a cool car, but not for CA anymore. I don't know the rules in IL well enough to get this one. Otherwise... 3.8 liter Gen-1 Cayman? Oh, yeah, that would be very sweet.

I put an under-drive pulley on my car to keep the power steering pump cooler. The pump is in a bad spot for heat. You can actually feel a small difference in response just off-idle when you start off...but it's not really a significant performance mod. It slows the spinning of the power steering and A/C about 10%, so takes a little load off the engine...but not much. You should buy the next size shorter drive belt if you get one of these. They are Gates belts. If you find the size of the OE belt, the next shorter one fits perfect with the U/D pulley. If you're driving around in AZ, you likely use your A/C a lot. Heat soak parking outside on hot pavement after a good run has been known to melt the PS reservoirs. I also installed a PS cooler in the middle pod of the front of the car.

I do DEs, so I'm getting the car hotter internally than it would ever get on the street. While this under-drive thing is good for high-RPM running, it's slowing down the AC compressor and P/S pump. Sometimes, I have to give my car a little more gas while I'm parking it.

I think sway bars would be the best bang for buck improvement. They make the car corner flatter. I got TPC adjustable bars with quiet links (stock Porsche end links cut to fit the bars...NO RACE CAR SUSPENSION CLINK). Except for an expensive sounding deep but quiet rumble in back, my car feels stock...but I can throw it at a turn with wild abandon and know it will get around without much drama. TPC bars should be set full soft in back and the middle setting in front. They're perfect. There are other (cheaper) choices around.

Cayman R suspension, including the bars, springs and struts, is a good set-up. I think it fits Gen 1 cars. Check with someone before you buy.

If you have PASM, Damptronic shocks are really good. Not too harsh at all. There aren't many options if you have and want to retain PASM.

As you can see in the sig area below, I have done many mods to my car. Some are fantastic, some just OK.

·
Premium Member
3,490 Posts
What have I done lately?

Well...I bought some bluish fog light bulbs that better match my Xenons. Took out the 3W running lights when the bluish replacement bulbs I bought for them burned out. I can live without these easily.

Added a Porsche rear hatch window screen that keeps heat down back there. I carry guitars and such a lot in this car and it's nice to have less heat and less visibility into the hatch.

Ordered an Arctic Silver console from Bumper Plugs to replace my soft-touch black unit that's getting sticky and a little gross.

Ordered a new set of OEM shifter cables with updated ends on them. It's something that can break without warning according to some posts here. I don't like that.

Have a B&M shifter kit that will get installed with the silver console and the shifter cables.

I've also got some little inserts for the motor and trans mounts. I tried Wevo semi-solid. If you're driving on the street, don't bother with those. If you're building a track car, ping me and I'll make you a fantastic deal on mine.

Bought a front windshield sun shade from Porsche. A monumental waste of money. I bought something at an auto parts store while traveling out west. It was way to big. This one fits, but has an obnoxious giant Porsche logo on it. "Look everybody! I own a PORSCHE and YOU DON'T ....Tempts me to let the air out of my own tires!

81 - 100 of 120 Posts