Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Software flash and a cat-back will complete the job.

Exhaust improvements make a bigger improvement when you have the software, plenum and throttle body on the front end. I have Softronics and like it. There are a couple other choices. These flashes are completely reversable. My CS passes emissions with flying colors with GT3 plenum/TB, Softronics 4.1 software and SpeedArt cat-back. The cat back saves some weight and gets rid of two out of 4 cats on these cars. The primary cats remain. No dash lights and the car still cleans the air OK. Get a cat back that is on the side of lower noise. The loud ones will annoy you and you'll end up getting less use out of the car. Droning is annoying...so don't go there. I got the mild "TUV approved" version of my SpeedART in a group-buy. I've put at least 50K miles on it and still really like it.

A lot of people remove the "snorkel" under the intake grill on the driver's side of the car. This is an easy mod. I run my car through car washes and drive in all sorts of weather conditions. I'm a little afraid of taking in water, so I have never done it. There is an article on removing the snorkel on this site.

I've heard that the K&N intake filter for the Cayman is a little ill-fitting and can leak. I use stock filters. They're so big, I really don't think there's much to gain with a different filter on these cars. The restriction is in the snorkel.

I was reading another post where a guy did an engine swap on a base Cayman. The base Cayman is a ULEV vehicle, apparently. Now, he can't pass CA emissions because he's changed a ULEV car into an LEV car. They've flagged it and he's now trying to sell on Bring a Trailer. It's a cool car, but not for CA anymore. I don't know the rules in IL well enough to get this one. Otherwise... 3.8 liter Gen-1 Cayman? Oh, yeah, that would be very sweet.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Earlier this spring I had Tractive shocks installed to go with the DSC controller. While pricey, they ride much better than the stock PASM shocks and under hard braking the car exhibits no dive whatsoever. Haven't taken it to the track yet, but I anticipate being able to get more out of WL with this set up.

IMG_2416.JPG

Reactions: Saabretooth

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dear 987 owners,

In order to better help us help you, I've put together a brief survey that I would like each 987 owner to answer. We will compile the results and hopefully come up with some offerings that will benefit our members. Please take a few moments to reply to this survey.

Question 1: What modifications have you made to your 987 in the last 12 months?

Question 2: What specific brands/parts have you purchased to make these modifications? (Example: XYZ Company Wheels or ABC Company ECU Tuning)

Question 3: How much did you spend making these modifications? (Estimates are fine, for example "About $2000", etc.)

Question 4: Can you briefly explain why you bought each item you listed? (Example: "Was on Sale", "I considered it the best in the market", etc.)

I appreciate any and all responses to these questions as they will help us make Planet-9 an even better place to be!

Sincerely,
2006 Cayman S in the past year:

Air bag light had to be reset at the dealership due to the key left inserted in the ignition (but NOT switched on) for two days. They also re-synchronized the Alarm Control Unit with the key fob to restore the remote lock/unlock function. (The fob had quit operating before the battery ran down, so the ACU reset may be unrelated to the dead battery). $264.99 total.

The original spark plugs were replaced at 37,799 miles by the dealership. Done as a precaution. Didn't notice any change in performance. $476.83 due, after application of the $100 gift card credit from the dealership.

Dealership replaced two inner tie rods at 37,836 miles, because of excessive play in one of them. $1,311.42
Four wheel alignment for $189.95 (an $80 discount off the regular price).

Right side of car repainted by a Porsche certified body shop. A large "Super Bowl Party" poster stapled to the American Legion's stockade fence next door was pried loose by the wind and ended up trapped against the passenger door behind the RH door mirror. The staple points sticking out of the back of the poster's perimeter seriously scratched the paint as the wind moved and vibrated the sign against the car. Total bill was $1,994.70 with all but the $50 deductible paid by insurance.

New tires from Costco. Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position high performance summer tires, 235/40Z R18 Y (front) and 265/40Z 18Y (rear). $809.36 including mounting, balancing and valve stems/caps and warranty. Much more economical than the Michelin Pilot Sport tires and are working fine as road tires.

AutoCraft H-7 AGM battery, 850 CCA with a 3-year replacement warranty from Advance Auto Parts. With a 20% on-line discount coupon and credit for the core charge, total cost was $178.55 This replaced the 5-year old Walmart battery.

Purchased a used Tequipment chrome sport exhaust tip in excellent condition on-line via Panjo for $205. Never did like the regular OEM tip. The chrome Sport Tip is a great improvement. It is the only chromed piece on the car's exterior and it is looking good!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Purchased a 2010 987.2 C back in July that was in perfect shape, but was underwhelmed by the stock exhaust. Starting reading up on exhaust systems, found Fabspeed had it’s own shop less than 40 mins from my home. Took a ride out and was blown away by their entire setup. They gave me a full tour of their manufacturing area, install and their customer waiting area felt like a clubhouse. Anyway, I decided to go with the Fabspeed Maxflo Trac Tec and I am very happy with it. It took about 6 weeks for exhaust to be ready, they installed while I waited back in August. It has certainly me my expectations and then some. Love the sound, definitely sportscar loud but love it even when just ideling in traffic. Spent about $3200 all in, very happy customer.

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts
Shortly after I bought the 2017 Macan, I ordered one of those phone mounts from Rennline and we've been so happy with it, I decided it was time to put one in the Exocet. I'm just amazed that anything this good could be this cheap. Followed the supplied instructions and got it installed in less than 15 minutes, or about the time it took Parker (the youngest of our two Boxers) to pee on his pad (Good Boy!!). I have included a photo of Parker receiving a lecture from me on why it is bad to chew on the door of my car when I'm working on it....more relevant Phone mount install photos also included. Those with 987.2's will know that we are stuck with the old 30 pin iPod/iPhone connectors, so I have used a 30 female to 8 pin (Lightning) male adapter and then an 8 pin (Lightning) female to an 8 pin (Lightning) male extension cord (dirt cheap on Amazon, I got two for less than $7.00). And now, my phone will stay charged, I can use Waze for navigation (do I need to mention how useless Porsche navigation is?) and Spotify in my car. Oh yeah, don't ask me why all the photos are sideways....I have no idea. Maybe someone can explain to me what I'm doing wrong and I'll fix it. This said, when you select a photo and click on it for full size, the resulting image has a correct orientation.

IMG_0234.JPG
IMG_1734.JPG
IMG_1736.JPG
IMG_1739.JPG

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
This year after 5 autocrosses last year, I upgraded my suspension again to help protect the outer shoulders of my race tires. This time with Tarett Cup LCA's front and back, moving camber up to -2.7 F and -2.5 rear, I added Porsche GT3 front brake ducts and GT2 brake ducts rear. Caster about 8.4 with 6 minutes of toe out in front and just a little toe in in the rear.

From last year, Ohlins R&T, Tarett GT swaybars, Tarett down links F&R. Signature monoblock SV-104 18's, 9 inch F and 10 inch in the rear in black chrome powder coated finish. Tires are RE71R's 255x35x18 and 275x35x18 rear.

With the LCA's 10 mm internal spacers and 1 mm litronic bracket, my track has been widened 22 mm in front and 8 mm internal and 10 mm external in the rear so the tire just clears the fender lip when compressed. The ride height was also impacted by the lower control arms, so its now at 36 mm lower than OEM ride height. Elephant f&r toe links with bumpsteer adjustability to allow the rear toe in with the current car ride height.

I also had LN 2 qt deep sump oil pan/windage tray/spin on filter adaptor installed along with a skid protector over the oil pan. Lastly, Numeric shifter cables and short shifter, for cleaner shifts. Changed to high temp brake fluid and refreshed the tranny oil.

On the track inspection, the shop found a little seepage from the water pump, so new water pump as well. Quite a bill from Cantrell Motor Sports.

I would expand the install and result of the Tarett Cup LCA's just a bit. First, please order the toe links for both front and rear with these, as it will save your install from having to order these item while its on the rack. Not good as your installer will not have these in stock and will most likely take a few days to get them.

The difference these control arms make is really unexpected. Very accurate steering feel, in fact, when I recieve the toe links from Tarett, I will request about 6 minutes of positive toe out in front. The reason I can do this is knowing the thrust puck and monoball bushing simply do not move around during hard stops and turn in. Or better yet in slalom course work, the accuracy of the suspension now is much better than before. So, what did I give up, well soft complient ride. I have to use the (18 clicks) soft setting on my Ohlins now as the soft rubber thrust puck is gone as are both the rubber bushings on the LCA. I now want to look at the 40 ratio side wall Michelin PSS with 30 lbs (cold) of pressure on my OEM wheels to cushon the sharp road bumps for my daily driver.

That should about do it for this season, still on the wait list are a roll bar, seats, harness per 2018 PCA HPDE rules.

CLIENTS FACE.jpg fullsizeoutput_2e03.jpg DSC_0056.JPG DSC_0043.JPG DSC_0387.JPG

Reactions: wagzhp

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
This month, I had my car back at Cantrell Motor sports for more suspension work. I added Elephant adjustable toe links with bumpsteer compensation in front and rear, Numeric short shifter and cables, Porsche Motor sports AOS, and another competition alignment. This time the alignment included 6 minutes of front toe out, and 12 minutes of toe in in the rear. Both of these toe numbers are much more likely not to deviate from their settings due to the solid thrust puck so the LCA's do not move forward or backwards and the bumpsteer adjustment means that the suspension toe arc is true to the setting during +1 inch compression and -1 inch in droop.

Overall these modifications are beneficial, the toe out in front makes turn in very rapid with my 255/35/18 RE71R's F and the toe link in the rear helps allow more camber in the rear as my car is low. The bumpsteer is noticeable on my favorite uphill back country road, where there are a couple of slow corners with deep bumps and full on power. Now, my car does not move around, simply through the corner evenly without any twitching in the rear.

I like to go through the gears and listen to the flat six, so the Numeric shifter and cables add to my driving enjoyment. I am trying to rev match on my downshifts routinely.

Lastly, the Porsche MotorSports AOS just does its job.

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts
It's been an expensive year....

Just before the holidays last year, I bought an IPD Competition Plenum and GT3 Throttle body from Fabspeed. In March this year, I bought a set of Long Tube Street headers with competition cats from Soul Performance shortly after which I had all those bits installed by my local indie. About a month ago, I also bought an x-pipe set of exhaust tips in a satin silver finish also from Soul Performance. Finally, bought baby a new pair of shoes. Picked up a set of four Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires and had them mounted locally....that did not work out so well. The local shop tried again, still unable to get the wheels balanced but did manage to chip the lip (about 3 cm) on one of my wheels (grrrrrrr). So, I yielded and took the car to the closest Porsche dealer (where I bought the Macan) yesterday. $700 CAD later, the wheels are balanced, alignment has been done, brakes have been flushed and HPDE inspection completed....oh and they also re-torqued the bolts on my headers.

What did all this cost? An unreasonable amount of money but fortunately, I managed to get all these steel and aluminum parts into Canada before the retaliatory tariffs come into effect. The tires are made in France (I checked) so duty free under CETA. I did not buy anything on sale but did benefit from those discounts these suppliers offer to members of this forum, for which I am grateful.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Do your brakes need to be replaced? Contact us to have your brakes serviced!
For a quote or to make an appointment, call us (888) 978-9899 or email us at [email protected]
We're open from 9:30-5pm PT, Monday through Friday. Located in Rancho Cucamonga, CA.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
The upgrades this year include Soul long tube catless headers, Softronics Race Flash to excite the GT3RS Plenum and 78mm throttle body from Softronic Stage II Racing intake system. These upgrades certainly add to the torque and HP curves. I also upgraded the motor mount by a Orange Function First insert and their transmission mounts to prevent motor movements. The addition of the Titan 7 TS-5 wheels and Hoosier A7's really upgraded the traction around the course. I added Racing Dynamics front strut brace and Pedro's rear Techno Brace to prevent frame movements. These changes really tighten up the car to help take advantage of the gripper rubber and more torque/hp.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Question 1: What modifications have you made to your 987 in the last 12 months?
New short shift kit (actually installed); new shifter cables (not yet installed but sitting in my garage waiting for me)

Question 2: What specific brands/parts have you purchased to make these modifications? (Example: XYZ Company Wheels or ABC Company ECU Tuning)
Numeric (x 2)

Question 3: How much did you spend making these modifications? (Estimates are fine, for example "About $2000", etc.)
~$1,000

Question 4: Can you briefly explain why you bought each item you listed? (Example: "Was on Sale", "I considered it the best in the market", etc.)
I bought both when Numeric had its Fourth of July sale (10% off, I think), but that's not specifically why I bought them. I wanted a shorter throw, and I had heard good things about the Numeric shifter. And I've heard that the stock shift cables have a tendency to fail, and I wanted to swap those out before it happened.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Question 1: What modifications have you made to your 987.2 Cayman S in the last 12 months?
  • Serviced PDK oil and filter, oil, spark plugs, coilpacks, tensioner and belt. All of it from FCP Euro selling me original Porsche parts. Replaced oil filter with K&N. Cleaned engine bay thoroughly. Completely detailed the car and ceramic coated it. Lots of elbow grease.
  • Replaced steering wheel with Porsche original GT3 steering wheel. Big difference when you have proper upshift in the right and downshifts on the left.
  • Replaced faulty ignition switch. Intermittent no crank condition. New original Porsche ignition switch from FCP Euro took care of the problem.
  • Replaced battery with lightweight setup from Rennline. Added a proper trickle charger setup so I keep it in good shape.
  • Replaced front brakes with Brembo racing kit from Race Technologies. Added proper pads for street and track. Most amazing brakes ever. I had to reprogram brakes to PCCB style to avoid ice brake pedal.Replaced brake fluid with Castrol SRF and added GT3 cooling brakes in the front and 996 Turbo+ cooling kit in the rear. Porsche parts original.
  • Replaced entire suspension with Bilstein Coilovers with Boxster series non progressive springs. Added GT3 control arms, swaybars and all the link connections to set geometry correctly for an aggressive track alignment. All of these components are from Tarret Engineering. Added the strut tower brace and the rear bottom camber reinforcement rod. Sweet in the street and a scalpel in the race track.
  • Replaced exhaust cat back for better sound track. Fabspeed did it in spades.
  • Added a set of black OZ track wheels with all season rubber.
  • Installed BGB PDK transmission air to oil cooler kit for track usage. Super awesome cooling my transmission gear oil and keeping it away from destruction.
Question 2: What specific brands/parts have you purchased to make these modifications? Brands are stated on each modification.

Question 3: How much did you spend making these modifications?
Around $15,000

Question 4: Can you briefly explain why you bought each item you listed?
  • I had to do several services in the car because it was an the low 40k miles mark when I bought it. I knew that I would heavily track it. I wanted to start safe trusting nothing. Car was in excellent shape and well kept but still needed a good overall treatment.
  • The original steering wheel really sucks. It is not intuitive when in manual. In the street, I drive in manual mode using the paddles so I needed the better steering wheel. I will mention that in the track, I leave it in Auto mode using the sport plus setting, which is awesome.
  • The ignition switch being faulty was bothering a lot the previous owner and he had a lot of mixed information about it. I just went for the most obvious possibility and fixed it at once.
  • The factory battery is heavy and it was old (2009). Technology is far superior in today's world. Saved a bunch of weight and improved performance.
  • Brakes are an issue in the Cayman S if you track heavily. Heat is the main enemy and the performance penalty that it creates is real. A lot of people replaces the rotors and pads and calls it a day but I wanted something better. The kit I have turns this car into an absolute riot allowing it to break much later than any other Cayman with factory brakes, including GT4's. Equalizing with proper pads for the street and track is equally important. I found the secret sauce for it thanks to our friends in Race Technologies. The cooling I use although is not the best, it does the job and it was very cheap and not so intrusive to the car. The rear requires a bit of rigging but still keeps it cool in the track.
  • Cayman S factory suspension is great for the street but it comes with many shortcomings for the track. In particular the inability to set properly camber which increases dramatically tire wear specially in the front tires. It is mandatory to replace suspension if you track it heavily but it is expensive since you have to change almost all the underpinnings around the suspension just to be able to set it properly. I was very lucky to find the perfect amount of used parts in good shape plus mandatory new ones and my kit came out absolutely perfect. This mod really made my car a lot faster around the track.
  • Exhaust is good in factory form but it is very much in the quiet side. I needed to hear it and although the Fabspeed drones a little bit, it does bring the soundtrack to the cabin. Driving in manual mode in the street takes care of the drone. The price of a used unit is quite affordable.
  • Black OZ 18's are used in the street with all weather tires. Great looking setup. I drive on Porsche factory 19" Carrera S II wheels in the track with proper NT01 rubber.
  • The BGB PDK gear transmission oil cooler is a great addition if you want to make your transmission last. I manually turn it on when in the race track and turn it off at the end of my session. I installed a small hidden switch in the center console to actuate it. Super sweet setup. You can indeed hear it running at low speeds.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
My car is setup for a three role car. (Daily driver, Autocross, HPDE). I am totally involved in PCA autocross coming in 2nd in my class last year. Because its a timed event and a year long series you can see the progression of your own knowledge and craft race after race. Its intense as each run is like a qualifing run with a standing start. I recently added a Wavetrac ATB LSD, which has changed my driving style by allowing better controlled braking, especially in the rear. The start is totally different now, with both tires putting down black Hoosier A7 rubber. Then into second gear quickly with the Numeric short shifter and cables, while rapidly setting up for the next few corners. The Ohlin R&T coilovers are set to 4 rebound/compression f and 6 r. Springs are 400 lb/in f and 458 lb/in r. This coilover system has synergy with the Tarett Cup LCA's, Tarett GT Swaybars and down link to help keep the light wt wheels, Titan 7 TS-5 and the large Hoosiers A7 in contact with the track.

Its a new year with new competitors, so we will see how well my program works in comparison to my upgraded GT4, GT3, and new twin turbo Porsche competitors.

We will see who shows up this coming weekend with the Corona virus restricting participation. Maybe no ride alongs with coaches in the car, 5 feet between participants in the drivers meeting, lunch food wagon and no talking to others in the paddock/staging area.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
All state of Washington PCA racing and events are cancelled due to stay at home mandate by Jay Inslee, Governor, until further notice.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Nice setup Apex1 one of the 4 regions I run with is still having their AX; next one 4/26. Another group MSCC cancelled their 4/5 AX.
All the social events for everyone is cancelled. Only gas stations, super markets and Home Depot still open.
Been doing my street runs of 50-90 miles each day just to do something.
Yesterday did the Tail of the Dragon south - Ozella Trail and it was great coming back 9 miles with nobody in my way; going out I had some 35 mph blockers.
Gas prices are unreal GasBuddy 2.32 gal prem, 1..72 reg makes me want to drive more.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Augie- I'm with you on getting out. I have a drive around Mt Rainier that can be very satisfying on certain days. If no motor homes or campers are on the road, I'm good. The downside is the National Parks police do give tickets and the posted speed is 25 mph so those could be significant amounts. The dips in the roadway does cause some slowing though as I could easily bottom out while going 60 or so.

A much more useful daily drive for me is using my car to transport my bike to the Foothills trail for a 90 minute roadbike workout. I use Zwift and Garmin together with Golden Cheetah analytics to keep from going crazy during these tough times.

·
Registered
224 Posts
What'd I do to mine? Bought it. Around Thanksgiving. A present to myself for still being alive (medical issues..) Put new tires on it, had the PDK oil changed, installed a new "headunit" (I'm old enough I just consider it a radio..), added front grilles behind the slats to keep crappola from the radiators and evaporator coils and cleaned, cleaned, cleaned.

This was all of course excess stuff since the car was about perfect when I got it. And I've been driving the pants off it.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Apex1 -"The downside is the National Parks police do give tickets and the posted speed is 25 mph so those could be significant amounts"

They would put me away. I won't state a mph.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I haven’t actually even owned my 987 boxster s for a year yet. Got it after selling me 75 fj40 and was looking for a new toy. So far:
1)New steering wheel cover m, new center console lid, door pocket lids, shifter boot, shift knob cover, ebrake cover (RedlineGoods) all in leather/alcantara mix with silver and blue stitching
2) recovered roll bar pads, dash trim, ashtray lid, center stack sides and gauge cluster lid in alcantara (did those myself)
3) tpc racing turbo kit
4) tpc racing light flywheel and x51 clutch
5) Panamera turbo 19” wheels and spacers (not installed still choosing tires and need to get them powdercoated in brass monkey)
6) lotus Elise seats (see my recent post) soon to be repadded and recovered in...honestly I haven’t made a final decision but have a ton of samples inbound
7) plastidipped the door handles and surrounds as well as center console as they were beat up from the po
8) cayman rear spoiler
I’m sure I’m forgetting something and I still have lots of plans but one (or three) things at a time

·
Registered
40 Posts
IN THE LAST YEAR IN MY 2006 CS 6MT (29.8k miles, 2 owners). This doesn't include mods previous to May of 2019.

1) Desnorked- My time, hand building a stainless steel screen used on comp cars for oil cooler/rad protection.

2) Assembled a full set of extra wheels with tires. Car came stock with the 19" SPort Designs. Now have a set of 19 Lobster Forks as well. I think those are gonna be a classic some day. Just a gut feel.( I thought that about Fuchs when I had my 911 back in the 80's.

3) FabSpeed Tune- $895.00. Now there is a great mod for sure.

4) Wrapped center console with Alcantara. Bought wrapped Alcantara shifter/boot. About $249.00

5) Painted center console gold to match Sport Design wheels and engine air intakes. I think gold as trim with the Seal Grey paint is cool. I'm a fan of gold from the BBS era of the '80's and I'm going with it. ;)

6) Extreme Dimensions (bought from Andy's AutoSport) front lip plus proper paint. All labor done myself- $450.00

7) Suspension: This car has never seen the track norwill it in my ownership. But I got access to nice twisties. Powerflex front sway bar bushings.Powerflex front camber kit. Rear TechnoBrace from Pedro's Garage. Full alignment. I'm impressed and I didn't even buy LCA's. Laborious install process -$1000.00

8) Another good analysis from BlackStone Labs and still using Gibbs DT 40 only.- $27.00

9) New Interstate battery- $210.00

10) Red clear film applied to backup lights. Cut patterns and installed myself- $25.00

101 - 120 of 121 Posts