Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a new suspension for my cayman s.

Im going to use it for light tracking, but mostly for street use. What should i do? Buy eibach pro kit springs?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Have you tracked the car to determine what you think needs to be improved with the suspension? All Caymans need more negative camber in the front to preserve tires and improve front grip. That can be done to some extent with alignment and improved with either camber plates or GT3 style lower control arms. The next mod could be adjustable anti-roll bars but you need to know how you want to change the handling characteristics to make them useful. Springs and shocks should come later.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info! No- i havent tracked the cayman yet.. The suspension needs to be changed out- and thats why im trying to source some info, if bilstein b12 will do for the future- or if i need to invest in something else :p Can all those parts you are refering to be installed on the OEM suspension?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have looked at B12 or something similar since it isnt any adjustments and just "bolt on".. But im wondering how it looks and how it handles :)

·
Registered
865 Posts
The labor to change out the springs and shocks would be the same whether using the B12 or coil-overs like the PSS10 or KW V3. All will require that the car be re-aligned. The coil-overs mentioned give you the ability to set ride height to your preference. The spring rates are higher then stock but O.K. The shock adjustments are simple to do and you can set them and forget it.

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
What's wrong with your stock R suspension? It's great for your intended use and likely your least expensive option. Add an aggressive alignment, and maybe adjustable sway bars and spend your money improving your track skills :)

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
I dont have the R- i have the S :) And i think its a tad to high! ;)
Sorry, misread your post. However, complete take off R suspensions are readily available (e.g., from Isringhausen Porsche) and reasonably priced.

Dan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the R suspension is a tad to high oem aswell.. The only reason holding me back on the Bilstein B12 is that i have heard that it gets extremely low with the eibach springs?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you tracked the car to determine what you think needs to be improved with the suspension? All Caymans need more negative camber in the front to preserve tires and improve front grip. That can be done to some extent with alignment and improved with either camber plates or GT3 style lower control arms. The next mod could be adjustable anti-roll bars but you need to know how you want to change the handling characteristics to make them useful. Springs and shocks should come later.
Very sound advice - I am following this route.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
If you are merely looking to replace the broken/worn parts:

Bilstein B4 - straight up replacement at lower price than Porsche branded dampers
Cayman R coilovers - lowers by 20mm over standard Cayman suspension, and stiffer ... and it's factory tested!
Bilstein PSS9 - can't go wrong with Bilstein stuff either. Good if you want some height adjutability

Don't get the Eibach springs ... don't waste money like that ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts