Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am prepping my newly aquired 2009 Cayman S for DE events/ street use and want some advice. I usually do 3-5 events per year and almost out of yellow and signed off to go solo. I have read ont he boards that the GT3 Lower control ars are a must but shop is suggesting the following as well
Install RSS Front and Rear Lower control arms
Install RSS Front Toe Adapters
Install RSS Rear Toe Steer Links
4 Wheel Alignment

Is it worth the extra $3K to do this now or just do the lower front control arms now and add in the future
Appreciate any input

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Am prepping my newly aquired 2009 Cayman S for DE events/ street use and want some advice. I usually do 3-5 events per year and almost out of yellow and signed off to go solo. I have read ont he boards that the GT3 Lower control ars are a must but shop is suggesting the following as well
4 Wheel Alignment

Is it worth the extra $3K to do this now or just do the lower front control arms now and add in the future
Appreciate any input
I would say it depends on your budget and desires to progress. If you are staying on street tires like I am I wouldn't (didn't) do all that. I'm running Pilot Super Sports and did three events with zero mods. (usually run advanced solo) The outer edges of the front tires did suffer. After that I extended the strut mount slots enough to get -1.2 degrees front camber and set toe to zero. (rear is as OEM at -1.5 degrees) . The car felt better and was more neutral. The tires have suffered no significant further outer edge wear in three days at Road Atlanta. I think mine is good to go unless I go to Rcomps later. If I do that it will need more camber and I'll need hardware to achieve it. Have you considered strut mounts with more camber? Elephant Racing | QuickChange Camber Plates | Porsche Boxster/Cayman

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
4 Wheel Alignment

Appreciate any input
No flame, but you do realize that GT3 LCAs and RSS LCAs for the front are basically one and the same; except for bushing and monoball differences. Plus shops are into making money.

Plus if your shop is suggesting the RSS LCAs in addition to to the GT3 LCAs, your comment above of "as well", you will need to learn more. Instead of checking with shops, check with the members in your club, your instructors, etc.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
If you're doing that many DEs a yr, chances are you'll need to do something with your suspension at some point. The factory bushings are not hefty enough to stand it. I do about the same number of DEs and after yr 2 with my CSS, it was unable to get to factory specs on toe. I swapped some Tarrat rear toe arms in last wk and on Mon I'm having all 4 lca bushings replaced with Tarrat bushings by my local dealer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts