Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I recently drove from PA to NJ and used the NJ Turnpike. When I exited the turnpike, I went through the EZpass lane, but evidently my transponder wasn't read since I received a violation of non-payment in the mail. The violation notice included a photo of the rear of my car, and the tail is clearly up. And yes, when going through the gate, I was traveling way below the speed at which the tail should have retracted. I never induce erection manually so I know I didn't push the button. Anyone else notice something similar?

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it unless it stayed up more than 4 hours. If it stays up for more than 4 hours, you should call your service tech.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Was there a cute 911 going through the EZ pass at the same time?

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
on the 987.1 I think it goes UP at 73mph and retracts at 57 mph? or some such equivalent.

it doens't retract at the same erection speed, otherwise it would be going up and down ALL day. and that would be of no use to anyone. :hilarious:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Are you still in break in? Maybe it just needs to finally hit redline already instead of being teased endlessly.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
And yes, when going through the gate, I was traveling way below the speed at which the tail should have retracted. I never induce erection manually so I know I didn't push the button. Anyone else notice something similar?
Oh dear, Johnny, look what you started here............

On 987, the tail goes up ("erects" :eek:) at 75 mph and retracts at 50 mph. I suspect it'll be very similar in 981. Yes, I suspect your wing is working fine. ;)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh dear, Johnny, look what you started here............

On 987, the tail goes up ("erects" :eek:) at 75 mph and retracts at 50 mph. I suspect it'll be very similar in 981. Yes, I suspect your wing is working fine. ;)
Yeah but there is no way I went through that booth at 50. I hate not knowing what's going on back there. I really wish the red LED would illuminate when it was up. When my other device is deployed I always know it immediately. That's how it should be in the 981 and I'd expect any male engineer to understand that. I wonder if the tail mechanism was designed by a woman.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't worry about it unless it stayed up more than 4 hours. If it stays up for more than 4 hours, you should call your service tech.
Exactly! BUT, how do I know. That's the problem.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
That's how it should be in the 981 and I'd expect any male engineer to understand that. I wonder if the tail mechanism was designed by a woman.
Danger Will Robinson! Politically incorrect! Sexist! Take cover! Incoming! Hide under your desks and face away from the windows!

:helpme:

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
So I recently drove from PA to NJ and used the NJ Turnpike. When I exited the turnpike, I went through the EZpass lane, but evidently my transponder wasn't read since I received a violation of non-payment in the mail. The violation notice included a photo of the rear of my car, and the tail is clearly up. And yes, when going through the gate, I was traveling way below the speed at which the tail should have retracted. I never induce erection manually so I know I didn't push the button. Anyone else notice something similar?
LMAOROTF - David poor ;) choice of thread title as you (we) will never get a straight :hilarious: :hilarious: or firm :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: answer now.

Seriously an interesting Q. Need someone with one of those fancy vid cams and mounts to do a stern view drive and report. Or convince the Mrs to risk 2 tickets :eek: and follow the 981 down the interstate.

I am always careful to make sure green light activates when using EZPass but that has not been with LG yet.;)

:cheers:

·
Registered
241 Posts
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Sorry, childish but I laughed out loud basically reading this whole thread!! :taunt:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A little off topic, but yesterday I received ANOTHER notice of violation from the 2nd EZpass gate I went through. This one also has a photo, but the tail was retracted. I've used it before without incident. It's strange that it wasn't detected twice on the same trip. I only need to pay the toll and verify that I have an EZpass, but it's still odd. Maybe I did blow through the gates too fast?? I don't know. This car is going to get me in trouble! I got my first speeding ticket (with this car) too last Saturday! The detector went off and I slowed down, but evidently not enough. Fortunately he just gave me a no-points fine. He walked up to the window and said, "I'm going to write you up for a no points violation. This is a great car. I know these are hard to drive slow. I have a 2006 Vette."

"2006?", I said. "That's a C5 right?"
"Yeah", he said.
"Those are great cars. And I really appreciate the break."
"Yeah, I really enjoy it. No problem."

What a nice guy! I have no problem helping out the local economy when they are decent about it. It's my own fault that I didn't pay my detector enough heed. :cheers:

I really should have asked him if he noticed when my tail retracted. Nothing like red flashing lights behind you to make things go soft. :)

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
A little off topic, but yesterday I received ANOTHER notice of violation from the 2nd EZpass gate I went through. This one also has a photo, but the tail was retracted.
You must have been following a Ferrari through the EZ pass this time.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
A little off topic, but yesterday I received ANOTHER notice of violation from the 2nd EZpass gate I went through. This one also has a photo, but the tail was retracted. I've used it before without incident. It's strange that it wasn't detected twice on the same trip. I only need to pay the toll and verify that I have an EZpass, but it's still odd. Maybe I did blow through the gates too fast?? I don't know. This car is going to get me in trouble! I got my first speeding ticket (with this car) too last Saturday! The detector went off and I slowed down, but evidently not enough. Fortunately he just gave me a no-points fine. He walked up to the window and said, "I'm going to write you up for a no points violation. This is a great car. I know these are hard to drive slow. I have a 2006 Vette."

"2006?", I said. "That's a C5 right?"
"Yeah", he said.
"Those are great cars. And I really appreciate the break."
"Yeah, I really enjoy it. No problem."

What a nice guy! I have no problem helping out the local economy when they are decent about it. It's my own fault that I didn't pay my detector enough heed. :cheers:

I really should have asked him if he noticed when my tail retracted. Nothing like red flashing lights behind you to make things go soft. :)
One correction. The 2006 Corvette is a C6. 2005 was the first year for the C6. Other than that, cool story and glad to see a LEO be decent, most of them are car folks and they appreciate performance cars just like the rest of us.

·
Registered
540 Posts
This is my favorite thread since that absurd weight reduction one. Pity it seems to be losing steam....

·
Registered
540 Posts
Does anybody wish their wing was bigger?

Does it matter? I mean, the shape of the airfoil matters more, doesn't it?

How big is yours?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One correction. The 2006 Corvette is a C6. 2005 was the first year for the C6. Other than that, cool story and glad to see a LEO be decent, most of them are car folks and they appreciate performance cars just like the rest of us.
I actually said this, "Is the 2006 a C5 or a C6?" I knew is was right at the transition. He hesitated a split second and said C6. Maybe he said 2005.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts