Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a huge, huge mistake. Now, all I can think about is the rawness and power of the RS versus my CS.

When I got back into my CS, I damn near put my foot through the floor of the car when I went to engage the clutch. I LOVE the heavy feel of the RS. I thought, compared to other cars, that the CS had a heavy clutch... not even in the same league. The feel of the gearbox in the RS is awesome... I wonder if I can get that same kit in the CS? And let's not even talk about the power, that's a given.

Listen, I know what you all are thinking, "of course, you idiot, the RS isn't even in the same league as the CS, there's no point in comparing the two," and I understand this, but it made me realize that there are things I can improve in the CS to bring me closer to that driving experience.

I'm at 44K on the clock and almost out of warranty. I live in DC so TPC isn't far from me. I going to setup an appt with them to discuss the turbo kit, as well as a new clutch, SS and limited slip diff. I've started searching the forum for reviews on all these mods.... Anyways, just wanted to share my experience with you. I love my CS, and don't want to get rid of it, but man, the clutch, shifter and engine in that RS are spectacular. Plus, my friend has the aeromotion wing on it, which is just the bee's knees.

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Any issues with ride height and normal, around town driving? I'd love a regular GT3. Give us more details...

Sounds like fun.

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
Is that a scratch I see in the rear quater panel? Curb rash on the rims? I don't know but that right headlight cover looks to me as though you've been driving behind a salt truck. Hope you returned it at night :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Any issues with ride height and normal, around town driving? I'd love a regular GT3. Give us more details...

Sounds like fun.
Yes, huge problems driving around town. My buddy lowered his RS 3/4" lower than stock (which was already incredibly low), so I scraped on damn near everything. He's replaced his front lip 3x already ("Marc, it's ok if you rip the front lip off, it only costs $500 unpainted") if that gives you any idea as to the ride height. Speed bumps are monumental obstacles... I scraped on each one and almost got stuck, literally, on one. It would be impossible to get it into a garage, and when I went out with the car on Saturday night in downtown DC, I had the valet keep it out front (which the valet suggested anyways) because there was no way it was getting into any sort of underground garage. Again, keep in mind, that he had his coilovers adjusted lower than the stock setting.

He also removed the rear muffler from the exhaust system, so in Sport mode, the car absolutely positively SCREAMED. I'm talking LOUD. When I got back into my CS with the Fabspeed exhaust, I felt like I was getting back into a stock CS with no exhaust.

The GT3 RS also had the roll cage on the inside, which rattles quite a bit. I'm younger so I don't mind it but I think it would get on someone's nerves that had any sensibilities.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Is that a scratch I see in the rear quater panel? Curb rash on the rims? I don't know but that right headlight cover looks to me as though you've been driving behind a salt truck. Hope you returned it at night :D
LOL, the car has no scratches or curb rash. However, the front lip is scraped to **** and the rocker panels have a million scratches on them because the car has seen track time

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
ah, that is smindustries car :) You can get a lot of the clutch feel, or at least some of it from our LWFW and hybrid flywheel. I believe bmwalsh has some great stories of passing GT3s @ summit :)

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
I live in DC so TPC isn't far from me. I going to setup an appt with them to discuss the turbo kit, as well as a new clutch, SS and limited slip diff.
You can spend all that money and you still will not approach the driving experience of the GT3RS. Put your wallet back in your pocket, and wait a month for your senses to return. There's no rush and your emotions are just clouding your judgement. Wait until the excitement is gone and then consider the mods.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You might be right, but even before driving the RS I was itching for something "different." I'm exploring my options right now, but I do love the CS. Not sure if I'm gonna stick with it or sell it for something else.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I understand your dilema...I ordered a '08 Cayman S, but decided not to buy it when the new motor was announced. I recently put a deposit on a mythical "Cayman RS". Last week my wife and I went to the L.A. Auto show, where the new RS was premiered. The wife said I should get a GT3....I'm having a little trouble focusing at work!

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
You can spend all that money and you still will not approach the driving experience of the GT3RS. Put your wallet back in your pocket, and wait a month for your senses to return. There's no rush and your emotions are just clouding your judgement. Wait until the excitement is gone and then consider the mods.
Here Here, what he SHOULD do is plunk down the $$$ for a Cayman Interseries Car because its driving experience is better than a GT3 RS. :)

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Here Here, what he SHOULD do is plunk down the $$$ for a Cayman Interseries Car because its driving experience is better than a GT3 RS. :)
Is that real? Or are you kidding? <--- Serious question!

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
I seriously doubt that... Nice try though :)
Is that real? Or are you kidding? <--- Serious question!
I was referring to the 997 v1 GT3 RS, I've driven those and I've driven the Cayman Interseries car and by far the Interseries car is what I would want for a track toy, not of course it doesn't have an interior so it isn't going to be as user friendly on the street and probably wouldn't be driven on the street. I am talking driving experience, the driving experience is "better" in the CI car than a 997 v1 GT3 RS, I haven't driven the V2 yet to know how it compares.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts