Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Swapped stock catback with Borla on my 987.2S - videos and review

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Kboustani 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally did it. Here it is:

Bolt-on mods are not that bolt-on! Sheesh, we had some problems fitting this thing as you see on the timelapse video:

It's pretty, much nicer tips than stock, larger diameter, angled, more aggressive, better filling the space. Cans are also good looking. On second gen 987 cat-backs don't do much - HP potential is in the headers where all catalytic converters are. But supposedly this Borla adds a few horses thanks to an optimized air flow. Not really noticeable for me.

This is a poor, poor attempt to compare the exhausts:

First of all - you hear the deep, throaty sound right away at low RPM. Drone is there for a second, but easy to live with. This character (deeper vibe) stays at high RPM but my microphone setup doesn't capture it well. Then you hear that with Borla the noise peaks much quicker than with the stock exhaust. It's that much louder, maybe 20%? As much as naturally attractive is the violin, F1 like, high pitched sound of some race exhausts - Borla adds the much needed presence to the car. It's just there, when stock is almost completely neutral and lacking - Borla doesn't disappoint. I'm starting to love this thing.

Cheers!

See less See more
2 1
#2 ·
Nice upgrade, I agree that all Porsche without PSE need an exhaust upgrade for sound and power!

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Boski
#4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! With this sound and on a fresh tire this thing is an animal. It's funny to think that the legendary 911 930 turbo in its strongest version had the same horsepower as this Cayman - 330PS and a similar curb weight. I think people with monstrous horsepower cars and automatic trannies are zombies compared to this act.

#6 · (Edited)
@Kboustani - thanks! First time I've heard Borla on a base 987.2 and got inspired, Carnewal catback I think has even better acoustics than Borla (higher pitch), but the real game is in the headers and deciding on the catalytic converters. The real deal is putting a 200 cell cat to forget about emission problems and resale value - this is probably why people don't sell them used (potentially it's even illegal to sell used cats in some states?). I've heard some counties don't care about emissions as much and you can put headers without cats. I imagine it gets a bit much decibel wise but I would be ok with more than I have now - this is the worst part about exhaust work - you go with your gut instinct rather than knowing what you'll get and no good video will give you the real experience. Anyways - tubed headers (no cats) are less expensive and much more available on a used market.

If you find a good header for a good price - please share. So far the prices I see for a 200 cel unit is around $2.5 - 3k. Isn't Carnewal around $1200 for the job if you send them the original cats?

If that was the only thing I had to do on my car I would go for it (probably just order Soul), but the list of things is long and there are some priorities.

Here you have a trunk placed/rear cabin microphone (small Olympus stereo mic for around $40 plugged to a Canon T2i). I would not be able to have so much juice recorded with stock exhaust, and I tried:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.