Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attempted to do a head unit swap on a 981 equipped with the base CDR unit to a PCM unit? While the physical size of the units is the same the functionality is not and I am wondering if a simple plug and play can be done, assuming you also added a satellite/nav antenna if the new unit had those functions. Has anyone done this kind of swap that can shed some light on if it is an easy upgrade or not.

·
Registered
69 Posts
To do the swap you need the Sound Package Plus, Bose or Burmeister. The PCM unit is 'locked' to the vehicle VIN so any upgrade would need to go through the Porsche official channels.

The retrofit is not normally particularly difficult but as you say needs the fitment of the satellite/nav antenna. It doesn't normally rely on the windscreen diversity aerial. Not seen the 981 retrofit instructions but previous models involved 3 -4 hrs work.

Has anyone attempted to do a head unit swap on a 981 equipped with the base CDR unit to a PCM unit? While the physical size of the units is the same the functionality is not and I am wondering if a simple plug and play can be done, assuming you also added a satellite/nav antenna if the new unit had those functions. Has anyone done this kind of swap that can shed some light on if it is an easy upgrade or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's a very easy upgrade. I traded my CDR-31 for PCM 3.1 in a '13 Boxster with SiriusXM and Bose. Took less than an hour to swap out the units.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you need to have your dealer do any programing of the PCM to make it work in your Boxster? Did the donor vehicle also have Bose? Lastly, do you have full functionality, Sirius, and Nav both working in the Boxster? My dealer tells me I need a unlock code from the PCM vehicle and then the dealer needs that to unlock the old PCM and enter the VIN of the new vehicle. Any issues like that?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you need to have your dealer do any programing of the PCM to make it work in your Boxster? Did the donor vehicle also have Bose? Lastly, do you have full functionality, Sirius, and Nav both working in the Boxster? My dealer tells me I need a unlock code from the PCM vehicle and then the dealer needs that to unlock the old PCM and enter the VIN of the new vehicle. Any issues like that?

Thanks
I bought it on ebay. This listing explains it all pretty well: USA 2012 Porsche 991 911 Carrera s PCM3 1 Touch Screen Navigation Single Radio | eBay

You'll need codes from the seller to transfer functionality to your VIN.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought it on ebay. This listing explains it all pretty well: USA 2012 Porsche 991 911 Carrera s PCM3 1 Touch Screen Navigation Single Radio | eBay

You'll need codes from the seller to transfer functionality to your VIN.

I have a new 2015 Boxster [with Bose Upgrade] and I was thinking of doing exact same head unit upgrade myself.

This is one one I found on ebay. Same unit as yours?

2014 2015 Porsche 100GB 991 Carrea Cayman PCM3 1 Touch Screen Navigation Radio | eBay

eBay seller says that he can also supply the codes for about $1300USD.

1) Did you do the installation yourself?

2) When you got the "activation codes" did you set then up in the car or did you have to take it to the dealer and get the codes setup there? Someone told me is has to be done at the dealer. This whole codes thing confuses me.

Thanks for "ANY" help one this. Try to find a cheaper way to do this as the dealer wants an arm a leg and my first born child to do the upgrade.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I decided to wing it and purchased a PCM unit from a boxster that had nav from the factory. Plugged it in this evening and everything functions as normal, including the navigation, with the exception that the car has no nav antenna. I haven't received any codes to enable the nav, and the cluster display did not automatically recognize that it had been fitted. The option to display the map in the cluster display is not present. Perhaps this is what needs coding to gain full functionality?

Does anyone know anything about the nav antenna? Is it routed to the top of the dashboard? There are two additional plugs on this PCM that my original doesn't have..

·
Registered
51 Posts
I decided to wing it and purchased a PCM unit from a boxster that had nav from the factory. Plugged it in this evening and everything functions as normal, including the navigation, with the exception that the car has no nav antenna. I haven't received any codes to enable the nav, and the cluster display did not automatically recognize that it had been fitted. The option to display the map in the cluster display is not present. Perhaps this is what needs coding to gain full functionality?

Does anyone know anything about the nav antenna? Is it routed to the top of the dashboard? There are two additional plugs on this PCM that my original doesn't have..
From what I have been told by the dealer, and also a guy on eBay and SunCoast you need the codes to get the unit fully functional in the car.
There are 3codes that are needed and they cost around $1KUSD...so I am told.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Has anybody been successful in upgrading to the nav from bose. I bought a nav unit through eBay.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Pet page with PCM parts:
Screen shot 2015-10-26 at 9.04.46 PM.png

·
Registered
51 Posts
Has anybody been successful in upgrading to the nav from bose. I bought a nav unit through eBay.
I am very interested too! Please update the thread to let us know how anyone else made out. I am putting my 981 away fro the winter but I would like to do the upgrade next spring.

The codes are what confuse me :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've had the car to the dealership to have it installed and they said they have to get codes to allow it to function in the car.

They contacted Porsche who then asked me to provide proof of purchase as I had bought it on Ebay.

We are still waiting for the codes and the car is back home.

The dealer doesn't know why it is taking so long.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've had the car to the dealership to have it installed and they said they have to get codes to allow it to function in the car.

They contacted Porsche who then asked me to provide proof of purchase as I had bought it on Ebay.

We are still waiting for the codes and the car is back home.

The dealer doesn't know why it is taking so long.
Did you get it all sorted out?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Still ongoing.

The dealer is communicating with Germany to get the codes, and they asked for proof of purchase. I bought it on eBay so I gave them that information. The dealer has been good to deal with, but Porsche is being a pain.

They now want the License Key- America/South America which is not possible as it came from Europe.

I haven't had the time to pursue this further, and in the meantime I have taken the car to Florida to leave it there for the winter. I will start following up again next week.

I think that Porsche is pissed because I didn't buy it through official channels. This is not making me happy because of their pickiness.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Still ongoing.

The dealer is communicating with Germany to get the codes, and they asked for proof of purchase. I bought it on eBay so I gave them that information. The dealer has been good to deal with, but Porsche is being a pain.

They now want the License Key- America/South America which is not possible as it came from Europe.

I haven't had the time to pursue this further, and in the meantime I have taken the car to Florida to leave it there for the winter. I will start following up again next week.

I think that Porsche is pissed because I didn't buy it through official channels. This is not making me happy because of their pickiness.
I see you are in Ontario like me. What dealership are you going through?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I live in Kitchener, but go to Porsche London as it is the same distance as the Toronto dealerships with a lot less traffic.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Still ongoing.

When you installed the unit in the car, did it include the hookups for USB port in the glove box?

1 - 20 of 206 Posts