Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to find some threads on this topic but I was unsuccessful. I have a 987.1 base Cayman (2.7L) that runs just fine. The engine is getting up there in miles (90k) and am considering some options for an updated motor such as upgrading to lower mileage or rebuilt motor from a Cayman S. My question is can I upgrade to a 997.2 motor from the newer generation Cayman or am i limited to the engines from the 987.1 variant? I realize the ECU needs to be part of the consideration in the swap as well. I am interested in any advice I can get from somebody that has successfully done this. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi jaygauthier,
I am considering doing the same thing on my 987.1 2.7L Base...did you come up with any information? I might just do a simple 3.4L swap...I am assuming this is "simple."

I know that in 2009 Porsche introduced the new Direct Fuel Injected (DFI) motor and raised displacement to 2.9L...so the DFI modification would require quite a bit more than a simple same generational 2.7L to 3.4L swap.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I came across this thread while evaluating my next performance car purchase. A little background: I sold a 2016 Camaro (6 speed) that I modified for E85 and cammed FI (734rw) this past summer. I also replaced my DD with a 2019 RS3, which was my first real exposure to a DCT. I really love my RS3, especially for driving in traffic (year-round) in the CT/NY area. The RS3 is stock, aside from wheels, tires and cosmetic CF tidbits. I never mod my DD's, so I'm trying to decide on either replacing my DD and modding the RS3, or getting replacement 2nd car for spirited driving during weekends and occasional commuting (nice weather only). Realistically, I unfortunately don't have time to track.

That being said, I really love my current DCT and my RS3 has also been completely trouble free, which brought me here. However I've always avoided modifying foreign cars due to unfamiliarity and cost. So my question regarding the Cayman: Does it even makes sense financially to pursue an engine swap without already owning the base car? My gut tells me that if I target 2014+ CS and add a built/tuned 3.8 (or 4.0 if it's even available), I'll end up netting out close to the cost of a new or slightly used Cayman GT4. Thoughts?

My fall back option will be to wait for the C8 Z06. However I'd prefer something a little more nimble. The C8 looks big to me from pictures alone. I've driven a C7Z for a week as a rental and also thought it a POS quality-wise, so I'd prefer to find something else.

Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi jaygauthier,
I am considering doing the same thing on my 987.1 2.7L Base...did you come up with any information? I might just do a simple 3.4L swap...I am assuming this is "simple."

I know that in 2009 Porsche introduced the new Direct Fuel Injected (DFI) motor and raised displacement to 2.9L...so the DFI modification would require quite a bit more than a simple same generational 2.7L to 3.4L swap.

Thanks!
The 2009 2.9L engine used port injection. They didn't ruin it with direct-injection until the 2010 model.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts