Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

I have a Cayman base (981) with the oval exhaust tip, I bought a sport exhaust tip from a planet9 member. My question is how easy is to swap them? I have read that you need to remove one of the wheels. Others said that you don't need to remove the wheel.

Another thing, using jack stands or ramps should be ok to lift the car to access the nuts to remove the tip.

Also, Is this a one person job or I need someone else to help me?

Finally, if you have experience doing this job, was the job a DYI or a shop job?

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had the local Porsche dealer do the swap for me. It took about an hour.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
They gave me the PCA discount on parts and labor. I think labor was a bit over $100.

·
Registered
703 Posts
That sounds more like what I paid for swapping the whole muffler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also have a base Cayman, just bought the chrome sport tips. Emailed a few places today to get quotes on time/cost. I think I'll only goto the Porsche dealship or a certified Porsche mechanic as I've seen horror stories with cars and bad mechanics.

Please let me know if you take it to Porsche dealship and how much they charge, my tip won't arrive until next week.

Thanks!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Any generic exhaust shop would be fine to do it - no need to pay Porsche dealer rates and time. I haven't swapped tips, but I can vouch for the stock halves being a bitch to separate after they've been on the car a couple of years. I had to remove it to put on my Fabspeed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I went to a couple German/porsche indy-shops around me. Indy-shop "A" quoted me $120, Indy-shop "B" $60. I read Yelp reviews and other forums for reviews and I went with the Indy-shop B just because it had a lot of good reviews for the honesty. I was willing to pay the $120 but I didn't get a good feeling from the front desk people at indy-shop A.

Anyways, the indy-shop B was fast, friendly and detailed on their work. I talked to a couple of their porsche mechanics and they sounded knowledgeable and customer oriented. We talked about estimates for general services and they beat the porsche dealership by a mile. I was really impressed with them. At the end, I paid $51 for the 20min of labor for the swap. They have won a customer!!

My next project is to plasti-dip the wheels and emblems. I am planning to do it this weekend if we get good weather in the ATL area. I will post pic of the tips later today.

Thank you all for your feedback!!.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any generic exhaust shop would be fine to do it - no need to pay Porsche dealer rates and time. I haven't swapped tips, but I can vouch for the stock halves being a bitch to separate after they've been on the car a couple of years. I had to remove it to put on my Fabspeed.
Yes, that was the same comment the indy-mechanic said but they did it with a smile!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Post some pics! Stealership woes. Glad you found someone reputable.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hi Cayman Ed,
If you compare the Sports Exhaust Tip to the Stock Tip you will notice the same basic problem: these exhaust tips are connected to the two mufflers in such a way that the exhaust gases are in direct conflict with each other. This opposing exhaust gas flow(s) results in power reducing turbulence.

May I suggest the DREAM2 with it's dual radius pipes and internal exhaust gas flow diverter eliminates the opposing exhaust gas turbulence of the stock unit for a smoother and more efficient exiting of the exhaust gases. This improved flow of exhaust gases results in a more mellow sound, improved gas mileage and performance.

Please visit our website for additional information: BCVelocityexhaust

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
734 Posts
There is improvement in exhaust gas flow with BC Velocity design or the AFE that I replaced with oem chromed sports tips. I lost some $ on the AFE "purchase and resell" already not including the two dealer installed fees (2 x $85) and I am not shelling another cash for exhaust tips but maybe save some for headers in the future. I am happy on the looks of the oem sports tips. Thanks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I went with the Fabspeed tips and could not be happier with the build quality! They use an x flow to eliminate the direct collision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ottobon100

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
734 Posts
My Porsche dealer is mod & cost friendly. Maybe you can tell them that I was charged 1/2 hour labour cost only and consistent on the two installs I went through: 1. AFE and 2. OEM Sports. Porsche Techs are trained the same by Porsche. A good mechanic or exhaust shop can do the same. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I replaced mine on my 987.1 way back with the original Dream exhaust Y pipe. All you needed to do was pull one of the rear wheels and loosen the three flange bolts enough to allow you to pull the mufflers apart to get the piece off. Doesn't require a dealer or special knowledge. The flange bolts on the 987.1 are a little cumbersome but that only requires patience. An hour sounds right for me but a dealer should be able to do it pretty quick. I would think half that time. so you're paying for whatever their shop rate is and I'm sure they round up. Doubt a Porsche dealer's shop rate is below or even close to $100/hr.
\

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.