Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im trying to do facelift work for cayman S rear tail lights, bumper to Gen2.
As far as I known what I need to do is getting new bumper,taillights,ECU(work with LED)

But Im not quite sure how to change ECU, and configuration would be same or not. Is there any way to keep my ECU and just upgrade it?

Would this be hard job to do it?

If anyone knows about this, please share with me.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Re: Swapping Gen.1 to Gen.2

What exactly is your goal here? You do realize that it's not just cosmetic differences between the Gen I and Gen II cars, right? The Gen II has a 3.4L DFI engine with more power. The electronic systems are different - even the TPMS modules aren't compatible with older models.

If you're trying to fully convert a Gen I car to a Gen II, it may not only be impossible, but also very expensive. You might as well trade the old car in for a Gen II.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

What exactly is your goal here? You do realize that it's not just cosmetic differences between the Gen I and Gen II cars, right? The Gen II has a 3.4L DFI engine with more power. The electronic systems are different - even the TPMS modules aren't compatible with older models.

If you're trying to fully convert a Gen I car to a Gen II, it may not only be impossible, but also very expensive. You might as well trade the old car in for a Gen II.
Oh.. I just want to do facelift, b/c I need to change it anyway due to accident. no for perfomance.. I changed title thx!

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts

Oh.. I just want to do facelift, b/c I need to change it anyway due to acident. no for perfomance.. I changed title thx!
Thanks for clarifying.

I highly doubt it's possible. The Gen II taillights are shaped differently from the Gen I, so even if you get a Gen II rear bumper, the bumper itself may not fit flush with the rest of the bodywork - not to mention the shape of the Gen II taillights.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for clarifying.

I highly doubt it's possible. The Gen II taillights are shaped differently from the Gen I, so even if you get a Gen II rear bumper, the bumper itself may not fit flush with the rest of the bodywork - not to mention the shape of the Gen II taillights.
Im not quite sure either, but from my earlier post I saw that there is one member here who has done this job... any infomation guys??

·
Premium Member
33 Posts

Thanks for clarifying.

Hopefully not!

I have my service adviser seeing if they can throw the 09 Cayman rear bumper on my 06 Boxster...

He emailed me today saying that the 09 Boxster's rear bumper and lights should fit without any problems, and the electronics shouldn't be too difficult to wire properly.

The Cayman, however, is a different story because according to him the width of the bumper as opposed to the rear fenders, is about 5MM too large. This is just initial inspection, so they might be able to work something out...maybe.

Hopefully they will figure out something though, cause hes been pushing me to do something to the rear, and now the damn idea is stuck in my head. I'll post any info/decisions I make...which hopefully will be very soon. =D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hopefully not!

I have my service adviser seeing if they can throw the 09 Cayman rear bumper on my 06 Boxster...

He emailed me today saying that the 09 Boxster's rear bumper and lights should fit without any problems, and the electronics shouldn't be too difficult to wire properly.

The Cayman, however, is a different story because according to him the width of the bumper as opposed to the rear fenders, is about 5MM too large. This is just initial inspection, so they might be able to work something out...maybe.

Hopefully they will figure out something though, cause hes been pushing me to do something to the rear, and now the damn idea is stuck in my head. I'll post any info/decisions I make...which hopefully will be very soon. =D
Thank you for info. Can I get contect# of the service adviser?? my local service man knows nothing. about it :(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I ordered whole parts..
I got a lot of useful info from one of member here..
Basically it need to order new bumper, Led lights, and rear light control unit.

price of bumper is same and we can get every parts from Suncoast.. pair of LED lights,and control unit cost me 800$.

and ECU should be upgraded from dealer.. and that's it.

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
The wiring and control module as far as I know. Sometimes the would come on with the lights turned on but reverse light would not work, or blinker would not work, etc. He resolved all and would definitely be a good source.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Oh.. I see. Thx!
Did he install Gen2 LED tails?? or aftermarket one?
He installed Gen 2 taillights and a euro bumper. All OEM parts. Like Schwabe said though, he came across a lot of wiring and electrical power issues.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I ordered whole parts..
I got a lot of useful info from one of member here..
Basically it need to order new bumper, Led lights, and rear light control unit.

price of bumper is same and we can get every parts from Suncoast.. pair of LED lights,and control unit cost me 800$.

and ECU should be upgraded from dealer.. and that's it.
Got my quote from my dealer last week...hes 99.9% that it'll work. Converting from an 06 to an 09+ LED Tail Light and Bumper.

Total price for parts, paint, and install...$6775.00 Pretty steep price...

I ended up scrapping the idea and went ahead and ordered the Porsche Aerokit w/spoiler. Porsche has a 20% off coupon for all Porsche parts right now.

Total price for new Aerokit with parts, paint, and install...$4900.00.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Got my quote from my dealer last week...hes 99.9% that it'll work. Converting from an 06 to an 09+ LED Tail Light and Bumper.

Total price for parts, paint, and install...$6775.00 Pretty steep price...

I ended up scrapping the idea and went ahead and ordered the Porsche Aerokit w/spoiler. Porsche has a 20% off coupon for all Porsche parts right now.

Total price for new Aerokit with parts, paint, and install...$4900.00.
Do you know how much for rear spoiler, LED unit only? :thanks:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes.. total price is really expensive..

I could feel little better for my accident, since insurance company pays for most parts,and all labor.

I just needed to buy pair of light and control unit.

BTW, how do I get 20% off coupon?

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts