Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making the switch from NT-01's to MPSC's this season and I wanted to see what people's thoughts were on hot pressures for the MPSC's.

My CS weighs ~3200 with driver and 1/2 tank. I used to run my NT-01's at 37/38 F/R. I think the MPSC's like low 30's but what are peoples thoughts?

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,928 Posts
What size sport cups?

I ask because you may have an issue with braking/psm if you do not maintain the proper f/r delta in diameter. I know you have a lot of experience so I am sure you have considered this.

In my experience (with several different tires), the only time the dreaded hard pedal and psm oversteer problems come into play is whent he rear tire is too small.

Also, why the switch? Again, IMO, the NT-01 is the best out there short of the R6 or 710.

Oh, can't help on the pressures.

Cheers,

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,769 Posts
I run Nitto NT-01s 245/40ZR18 and 275/40ZR18 hot pressure 36F - 38R

·
1,928 Posts
I believe the OP is looking for target pressures for the Sport Cups, he already has experience with the NT-01s

Cheers,

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What size sport cups?

I ask because you may have an issue with braking/psm if you do not maintain the proper f/r delta in diameter. I know you have a lot of experience so I am sure you have considered this.

In my experience (with several different tires), the only time the dreaded hard pedal and psm oversteer problems come into play is whent he rear tire is too small.

Also, why the switch? Again, IMO, the NT-01 is the best out there short of the R6 or 710.

Oh, can't help on the pressures.

Cheers,
Hey Kroc - It's been awhile.
Yep I'm heading into the dreaded F/R ratio issue. Stock 18's have the rear diameter 2.4 cm's greater than the front and the 19's have the rears 2.1 cm's greater. MPSC's come in the wrong size so my rears are actually going to be 0.25 cm smaller.

The question is will this cause and issue with ABS? I've actually run MPSC's on my CS before but it was a long time ago. They were my first set of track tires and I had no idea what I was doing so I can't say if they worked or didn't work. I've seen a few people run the MPSC's on CS's and I haven't heard them complain but they weren't pushing to the edge.

Why the switch? NT-01's only lasted me about 4 days or about 18-20 sessions. Very fast drivers of 996's and 993's seem to get 8-10 days on the MPSC's.

I'll be breaking them in the last weekend of March with GGR PCA at Thunder Hill so I'll be posting my thoughts and hopefully breaking some records.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe the OP is looking for target pressures for the Sport Cups, he already has experience with the NT-01s

Cheers,
3 sets in 10 days last season! I know NT-01 pressures well :hilarious:

NT-01's are a great tire if you can make them last, their very fast right from the start when cold.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Several of us have used Michelin Cups in the rear 265/35/18 size with no problems. I tried to keep them under 39 psi hot because they get a bit "skatey" over 40 psi. They're a little cold natured, so give them an extra half lap or so to get heat. They're too cold natured to help much at autocross unless it's a very warm day, or your runs are close in temporal proximity.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
I run the Sport Cups on my GT3 and find 33F/36R PSI hot to be the best for the car and my driving style (just fair on the skill level).

I've had NT-01 and R888's but like the MPSC the best. About 5 track days and the rear tires have cords starting to show.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I've run both NT-01 and MPSC and feel this way:
Will MPSC last longer - yes and they cost twice as much. I got probably more than twice time out of the MPSC so that to their advantage. But cold they definitely need 2-3 laps before they grip as well and they like 1-2 lbs higher hot pressures (like 37-38).
You need to decide what's more important to you track use and performance or street use and performance. If it's track NT-01; if street MPSC.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I am very, very satisfied with my NT-01s. This past weekend I had no problems getting them warm on a race track that was around 30-40 degrees in the morning. As the previous poster noted, Nittos come up to temp very quickly, especially if you charge hard out of the gate.

·
1,928 Posts
Hey Kroc - It's been awhile.
Yep I'm heading into the dreaded F/R ratio issue. Stock 18's have the rear diameter 2.4 cm's greater than the front and the 19's have the rears 2.1 cm's greater. MPSC's come in the wrong size so my rears are actually going to be 0.25 cm smaller.

The question is will this cause and issue with ABS? I've actually run MPSC's on my CS before but it was a long time ago. They were my first set of track tires and I had no idea what I was doing so I can't say if they worked or didn't work. I've seen a few people run the MPSC's on CS's and I haven't heard them complain but they weren't pushing to the edge.

Why the switch? NT-01's only lasted me about 4 days or about 18-20 sessions. Very fast drivers of 996's and 993's seem to get 8-10 days on the MPSC's.

I'll be breaking them in the last weekend of March with GGR PCA at Thunder Hill so I'll be posting my thoughts and hopefully breaking some records.
Brave man. I wish you luck. I know that many folks have not had issues with their PSCs, but I doubt that many have your pace.

I tried the BFG R1, with the smaller rear, seeking the gearing benefit for a tight track and the car went nuts - hard pedal and wicked throttle on oversteer. Went back to proper a proper ratio and poof, no more problem. Now, the R1 was significantly smaller in the rear, probably more than the PSC.

Not sure if it is better or worse with a TBD/LSD (I run a TBD) or open diff, but it was not good. Probably less intrusive with a smooth pedal and PSM off.

Four days out of the NT-01s is about right when pushed hard. I get just about two days out of the R6s. If you want to use fewer tires, well, just drive slower.

Cheers,

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Augie - I used to think the same, that MPSC's were twice as much be out here in NorCal there isn't that much of a difference. NT01's are about $1140 at discount tire plus tax install (tax is 9.75%). I got MPSC's from tirerack for $1200 plus ~$50 in shipping no tax. This actually means MPSC's are really the same price but will last twice as long.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
That doesn't make $ sense.
I just looked at NT-01 at Discount Tire
235/40-18 $191
275/35-18 $237
191+191+237+237=856-50 rebate=806 free shipping

MPSC at Tire Rack
235/40-18 $278
265/35-18 $315
278+278+315+315+32 shipping = 1218 or +$412

OK only 50% more now for twice the wear but still would decide based on main use of the car; street vs track.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Augie I was off by $118. You're comparing apples to apples and I'm comparing the NT01 sizes I used not the same size of the MPSC's that you are forced to use. Are you really running the 35's in the rear for the NT-01's? The other issue is discount tire charges more for tires in the bay area. The 275/35-18 is $283 here not $237 I use the 40's which are a little less, see the break down for my part of the country.

NT-01's at Discount Tire for NorCal
275/40-18 $269 x 2
245/40-18 $246 x 2
=1,030 x 9.75% tax
=1,130

MPSC at Tire Rack
235/40-18 $280
265/35-18 $320
=$1,200 + 48 shipping
=1,248

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Didn't realize they charge differently for Calif. Can understand sales tax in same state but why different price ? strange

·
Registered
864 Posts
I'm switching from Toyo R-888 to MPSC. My starting target is 34 F and 37R. Looks like good weather this weekend at NJMP, I'll try to collect some data.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts