Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a swivel angle difference between PDLS and PDLS Plus? The description in the configurator is ambiguous (at least for the Spyder page) as it lists a "Sport Mode" that allows greater swivel angle with the Plus. I never heard of this but cannot find an answer anywhere.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Steve, I don't know the answer for your question.

But I'd say you built an amazing car. I'd rather find out I loaded options I don't need, than finding out I missed on one especially if the price difference is negligible.

Two things I regret, the S next to turbo and the PTS. Everythig else I have.

Best wishes with your iconic beauty

Reactions: SteveInNJ

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
I thought that what you gained with this option was auto-dimming high beams and greater distance at night?

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought that what you gained with this option was auto-dimming high beams and greater distance at night?
I thought the same thing. But then I read this ambiguity and I thought maybe new for 2016? Maybe always there and I never knew it?

The reason I ask is because I can't see sh!t at night so any extra swivel would help.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
From a Macan thread, looks like this was taken from that configurator, so I am not sure how it applies to the Boxster and the references to Canada versus the US, see what I 'bolded' in green... ;)

PDLS and PDLS Plus (USA & Canada specs)

From the Macan S configurator:

CANADA
Bi-Xenon lighting system incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
Projector-beam Bi-Xenon headlight system with static and dynamic cornering lights, headlight cleaning and automatic dynamic range control. The dynamic cornering light function swivels the main headlights towards the inside of a bend based on the current steering angle and road speed. The static cornering lights activate the auxiliary headlights for better illumination in tight bends, e.g. when turning off. Speed-sensitive headlight control adjusts the range and light cone of the dipped beams at higher speeds (e.g. on the motorway) for better illumination of the road. The adverse weather function dims the upper light cone in order to reduce the effect of reflection phenomena in poor visibility conditions (e.g. fog) and thus the risk of the driver being dazzled.

Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
Upgrade of Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) with the following functions: Dynamic main beam: stepless adaptation of main beam to suit traffic situation, Intersection assistant: navigation, map-assisted recognition of intersections and junctions and activation of left and right static cornering lights for optimum road illumination.

USA
Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)

•Dynamic Cornering Light
Dynamic cornering (bending) lights swivel the low beam in accordance with cornering characteristics, depending on the steering angle.
Static Cornering Light
Static cornering lights are activated based on steering angle at low speed in tighter corners or while stationary.
Highway Light
Speed-dependent headlight range control increases light distribution after 3,300 feet at 68 mph or higher, or immediately after 81 mph and above provided the steering wheel is not turned sharply.
Sport Mode
Activated in "SPORT" mode - allows for greater swivel angle depending on steering input.

Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
Includes also:

•High Beam Assistant
When a camera located inside the rear-view mirror detects the headlights of an oncoming vehicle, the high beams are automatically turned off at a distance of approximately 2,600 feet. If the taillights of a vehicle traveling in front are detected, the high beam is then turned off at a distance of approximately 1,300 feet.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
I have found additional information to support the hypothesis that the PDLS+ on US and ROW are different:

PDLS Plus in US is detailed differently in Porsche US website that the same option in Europe. In Europe it is a continuously adjusting light beam, while in US it seems to only switch between high and low beam based on what it sees with camera (due to some US legal restrictions). It would seem that the Canadian version uses the "continuously adjustable" implementation (Europe?) and the US may utilize a camera and/or light sensors to control how the hi-beam operates.

This is the law referred to for the US:

It is a law from the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 (FMVSS 108) which regulates all automotive lighting, signalling and reflective devices in the United States.

It is dated from a 1964 recommended practice from the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE).

S5.5Special wiring requirements.
S.5.5.1Each vehicle shall have a means of switching between lower and upper beams that conforms to SAE Recommended Practice J564a Headlamp Beam Switching, April 1964 or to SAE Recommended Practice J565b, Semi-Automatic Headlamp Beam Switching Devices, February 1969. Except as provided in S5.5.8, the lower and upper beams shall not be energized simultaneously except momentarily for temporary signalling purposes or during switching between beams.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
^ if that's the case, Porsche should have respected itself and saved its customers in the U.S. from wasting money on this useless option. It shouldn't be available on the U.S. configurator. The technology you're referring to is ancient since the 80s. Why would one be tricked into paying a chunk of money for it in 2015?

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
^ if that's the case, Porsche should have respected itself and saved its customers in the U.S. from wasting money on this useless option. It shouldn't be available on the U.S. configurator. The technology you're referring to is ancient since the 80s. Why would one be tricked into paying a chunk of money for it in 2015?
Interesting viewpoint, and not wishing to descend into a discussion on value, although not free it certainly is not anywhere as expensive things like Burmester, PTS or Nav. :)

I was initially thinking that the US implementation was pretty good, not continuously variable but not without some merit, they were forced to work within the laws of the land.

I would hope that most buyers would read up on this before checking the box.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
I paid for my LED PDLS+ Option 3,000 USD. It's one of the expensive options you can tick on the list unless it's cheaper for the 981, which I doubt.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
I paid for my LED PDLS+ Option 3,000 USD. It's one of the expensive options you can tick on the list unless it's cheaper for the 981, which I doubt.
I am not aware of the LED version of PDLS being available for the 981, ours are Bi-Xenon only.

On the GTS model they are included but again only in Bi-Xenon, PDLS+ is an option.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent points. For the USA, it seems like Plus useless $600 option if all it does is switch your high beams in and off. When I saw the wording on Sport mode and greater swivel angles, I thought maybe that was the justification for Porsche even bothering to offer the Plus option.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've had my Cayman GTS with PDLS plus and high beam assist since last October and I can tell you that at highway speeds at night with high beam assist activated the road illumination grows forward and wider when there is no oncoming traffic. It's a very noticeable improvement over recent vintage Porsches, but imperceptible during implementation. In other words, other than the high beam turning on and off, I have not noticed any "stepwise" increase in lighting distance. It's just there; as I cruise along at 90+ mph there is no way I can come close to "over driving" the lights. And with my 56 year old eyes it helps a LOT!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts