Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So this has started coming up since about 5 days ago.

And this is what my digital readings tell me.
Which also is the exact same thing I pull when I manually measure each tire with a PSI tool(settings in the Porsche are to read PSI)

Is this a sign of my TPMS going bad?

If so, what is the DIY fix, it can't be too difficult that I'll have to go to the stealership.

I plan on installing aftermarket coilovers and getting brand new tires mounted and balanced. Should I also order new TPMS? And if anyone could point me in the right direction of where to order some I would appreciate it.

PS I reset the settings with summer tire-18 inch and it took away the warning light for about a day, the next time I started the car the same warning came up.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
If you need to replace the monitors stay clear of the dealers unless you have deep pockets! I had ITM's installed 3 years ago and they are flawless and are far less cost. The dealer quoted me $1250. The ITM's installed $250!!!! When my originals were going bad, they would take about a mile or more to read pressure and eventually, I got an error msg saying system fault. Not sure about changing them yourself but the indy repair did not even remove the whole tire, just by the valve.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you need to replace the monitors stay clear of the dealers unless you have deep pockets! I had ITM's installed 3 years ago and they are flawless and are far less cost. The dealer quoted me $1250. The ITM's installed $250!!!! When my originals were going bad, they would take about a mile or more to read pressure and eventually, I got an error msg saying system fault. Not sure about changing them yourself but the indy repair did not even remove the whole tire, just by the valve.
ITM's? Please elaborate

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
ITM's is the name brand my indy offered. He had 3 different company models in stock. Huf's, ITM's and one other I forget the name. The Hufs were more expensive and I believe is what is OEM on the car originally. He was very honest and told me he installed many ITM versions and had great feedback and no bad reports from those who had them installed. I have a 987 Cayman, I understand the newer version of the Cays/ Boxsters came be more finicky!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ITM's is the name brand my indy offered. He had 3 different company models in stock. Huf's, ITM's and one other I forget the name. The Hufs were more expensive and I believe is what is OEM on the car originally. He was very honest and told me he installed many ITM versions and had great feedback and no bad reports from those who had them installed. I have a 987 Cayman, I understand the newer version of the Cays/ Boxsters came be more finicky!
Got it thank you, I'll remember the name. Mine is also a 987. 2007 model year. I guess it wouldn't hurt to replace when I get in there anyway, with the new tires. Hopefully that resolves the issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found this online:

But I don't get this TPMS inactive message.

So is my findings not because my TPMS is going out?

Is there something else wrong being that I get a warning and telling me my driver read is -4 but the other screen shows even PSI measurements?

·
Registered
832 Posts
TPM life expectancy is around 10 years. So I would think that is probably the issue. And yes you do not have to go to Porsche dealer to get replacements. Most tire shops can do it. So ask where you plan to have your new tires installed what they have to offer and how much. Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TPM life expectancy is around 10 years. So I would think that is probably the issue. And yes you do not have to go to Porsche dealer to get replacements. Most tire shops can do it. So ask where you plan to have your new tires installed what they have to offer and how much. Good luck.
Makes sense. Thanks for the input sir

I'll ask the shop to look into ordering the ITM's since those seem to be favorable

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.