Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

System Fault / Bright Lights

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  derrick.baxter67 
#1 ·
Hey,
Having a problem with my 2008 Boxster S LE.
It is firing off randomly, hitting bumps a system fault. If I hit the bright lights (pull back/push forward) it clears. then a few seconds later it fires off again.

Also strangely, when I do push the handle forward for bright lights, they do work and come on, but after about 5 seconds the blue light on the dash turns off but the lights stay on.
Error still fires off with brights on or off.

Done so far:
Replaced every fuse
Replaced battery (which I know caused the air bag error and pcm, which pcm reset after driving)
Replaced the fog lights, driving lights, high beam lights and now waiting for a new set of HID bulbs.
Reseated all PCM connections.

There appears to be a grounding issue somewhere but I can't find it.
The other problem is that there is a drain on the battery where about every 2 days if I don't drive it, the battery is completely drained. Autozone just tested the battery and its fine, ran alternator test and it was fine.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

No mods of my own
TB and Plenum was replaced with 82mm by Goldcrest Motorworks, along with the waterpump and everything related to the waterpump, replaced the transmission seal and new motor mounts.

Just wondering if during all the work something is not grounded, it did not do this before the work done.
Taking it there sometime this week or next.
I've tried everything I can think of.

See less See more
#2 ·
How aggravating! Sorry your BS is sick. Although not a Porsche problem, your description reminds me of a grounding issue I had with my ’05 Volvo V50… due to mice damaging some wires I had the main wiring harness replaced. Insurance covered the $3500 repair, but a few months later the battery seemed to run down very quickly. Took it back to the indy repair shop and they couldn’t find anything wrong. A few seemingly unrelated faults caused me to take it to the dealer; a few hours later a tech found the wiring harness ground was loose under the battery tray. That’s been over five years ago and no grounding issues since then. I hope you get your issue with the Boxster resolved soon so you can enjoy the spring weather!

#4 ·
If anything replacing the high beams I did find the passenger side hid bulb clip wasn't holding the bulb securely, it was moving all over, and the wiring harness plug was just sitting on the bulb not locked in place. Hopefully that was the drain, but didn't stop the faulting problem. Slowly getting there.
Think I'm buying the ecu programming software. I have it for my Camaro and been programming cars for about 15 years now, just not porsches. Tired of having to goto a dealer 30 minutes or more away to reset the dang airbag alert on a drained battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.