Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that there is some error associated with the Tach needle. Just wondering if anyone knows what the normal range is for it to be off. I have noticed that my gear shift assist red light comes on rather late with respect to the needle indication. I do not know this for a fact but would expect that the gear shift assist light is tied to the rpm indication in the computer and not the needle. I only bring this up because I noticed today my Needle definitely hit 8k today while using the gear shift assist screens red center shift indication with no sign of a fuel cut off during a 2nd to 3rd shift getting on the highway this morning. I can understand some sort of inaccuracy but this would indicate an error of at least 200 RPM anyone else have experience with this?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi,

I did a couple runs to the limiter in sport mode as an attempt to diagnose or fix oil burning behavior (didn't help). When I checked my over rev data using durametric, I had reports right where the tach needle was when the limiter cut off fuel. It cuts off just upwards of 8000 rpm, not red line.

I don't use the shift light, so I can't help you with that one. I would say that you should trust your tach or you're probably going to see range 1 and 2 over revs on a regular basis. (Those aren't anything to worry about, but I wouldn't tempt fate).

If you want to be able to know for sure, buy a durametric and hook it up while you drive so you can cross check your tach against actual rpm value. As you probably know, each car is going to be different.

(Edited: Some days I really hate phone keyboards!)

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Engine cuts off at 7,800 rpm, and I bet not an rpm higher. So probably a tacho error indeed. I also did just one (manual) PDK shift where due to tire slip, I swore needle hit 8K without the limiter kicking in, but wasn't 100% sure, so just assumed I didn't see right. But with your comment, maybe I saw it right. The good news is whether it's a manual of PDK, engine is absolutely protected from overreving by the gas pedal. It'd be interesting to see if somebody is willing to check it out carefully, and see at what indicated rpm limiter kicks in. Just like the odometer, I wouldn't be surprised if it's optimistic as well. As long as it's not as optimistic as Yamaha, all is well. For those into bikes, the R6 of many years back had a theoretical redline of 17,500, when fuel cut-off was kicking in at 16,200. That's A LOT of optimism there. Ha ha. Anyway, just wanted to comment my CGTS with 'stock' instruments (black face with orange needles) reflects PDK upshifts instantly. My brother's BGTS (also PDK) with black face but white needles are laggy by comparison, just like most others I've seen. Don't know if that has anything to do with the error. I haven't hit the fuel cut-off on either car. Interesting discussion. Let's see what kind of error our cars have.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.