Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

Should I buy a Cayman if park on the street?

• Definitely! Insurance policies exist for a reason!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way! Climate controlled garages are a must!

• Your yuppy problems are pathetic - get a life! :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been waiting to take the plunge for a long time and get my first P-Car. I think reading the posts on this site every night keeps pushing me closer to pulling the trigger. With hot incentives on 2006 models the time feels so right :) However, there's one thing that keeps me from driving such a beautiful car... I live in San Francisco in Pacific Heights. I don't have a garage and park on the street. It's a fairly nice neighborhood but it has its problems. My current 2002 acura rsx-s has never been broken in to but broken car windows and car glass on the street are a common occurence. Not to mention numerous homeless folks sleeping in the park near by.

This car would be the most expensive indulgence I've ever had so I'm not sure how bummed I'd be if it got keyed or bumped by another car - let alone broken in to becoming an hourly motel for my parkside 'neighbors.' :) I've tried to find a garage space but they are few and far between, not to mention the additional $200-$300 a month I'd have to strap on to my new phat monthly payment :) That being said, I'm a pretty easy going guy, intend on not babying my new wheels too much (HA!), and there are so many nice cars parked on the street around here, mercs, m3 bmw convertibles and the occasional Cayman.

So I'd love to hear your expert opinions, or words of encouragement to sign away money for my next trip abroad. This would be a sweet commute car and delightful for weekend motoring to the curvey mountains around Muir woods. I do love this car - asides from the 356, it's one of the most beautiful porsches ever.

Brady

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
You don't have a choice for: I try to park it in a safe location but will park curbside in the safest manner possible if nothing else is possible.

Shane

·
Registered
94 Posts
i pay 325 a month!!! But in boston, its safe to have a indoor parking due to bad winters and crazy street traffic.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Brady, If I lived in San Francisco and had a relatively nice new car I would rent a secure garage space. Keeping the car dry is reason enough to do this, but the possibility of terrible things happening to a new Cayman S would prevent me from sleeping soundly, if I new that in the morning I might wake up to find something terrible had happened to it. This car is too nice and expensive to leave outside in San Francisco over night. If the added expense of renting a dry, secure garage space makes the Cayman un-affordable, then you may need to wait until your circumstances change.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I use to live in SF...and Pacific Heights is certainly a nice neighborhood...but I would never park my Cayman on the street there.

It may sound insane, but a friend use to park his 911 TT at his GF's building in Emeryvilleand drove a beater in the city. Since you live in SF, you must also know that people'park-by-feel'....meaning, there's no more room to go, only if you hit something behind or in front.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Door dings and chips are a fact of car ownership as hard as we might try otherwise. Broken windshields, windows, and vandalism are something else again. If you cannot secure the car with reasonable safety you've got a problem, and the more attractive and expensive the car, the worse the problem. I'd look into garaging the car.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Brady, you only iive once man. Think about all those older Porsche's you see in the City. The nice ones that have some years on them. Those were new cars once. My point is that as much as we love these cars they are built to be used. Buy it, insure it, and try to find safe places to park. ENJOY IT!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Brady,

I live around Geary and Stanyan in SF, and since my apartment only has one garaged space (we have 2 cars), sometimes I park my Cayman out on the street. Knock on wood, nothing has happened yet, but in the city I feel it's inevitable that you will get small scratches/dings from others street parking around you or *** forbid someone vandalising your car. It does happen, but for me using the car as a daily driver and parking where I want to is more than worth the risk. Stop by sometime, maybe you'll see it on the street.

=)

Dave

·
last race, 1958 AD
478 Posts
kroupa---Can you use insurance cost as a guide? Get some insurance estimates. I think insurers will ask where you live and if the car will be kept in a garage. If the quotes are reasonableand don't break your bankthen the risk of problems may be minimal. Even so I would expect some grief and inconvenience. Don't get speed yellow.

You would like my situation. I wanted to keep my collector car AND have a Cayman. So the Cayman and our other car are in our garage and I rent space ina neighbor's garagefor $50/month!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Brady,

Garage the car! with all the vandalism in SF, I would find a garage and park it there. One reason for me not moving to the city just yet. Haven't found a really nice place with a big enough garage for my CS

c

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
It's hard to disguise the sexy shape of the Cayman. The car cover could draw more attention to what is being concealed.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have an old truck for those days. My CS always stays safe.

Russ
I'd look into garaging the car absolutely. You will get keyed for sure. This is one hell of a looking Porsche, too hard not to be noticed. No garage no car for me, seeing a keyed P car is a drawback. Even putting a car cover is an invitation for vandals. No way Jose. Just my .02

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm lucky in having an enclosed garage to park my CS at night. But, I guess I'm a woose because I don't take it anywhere where the parking is iffy...like RussK, I take my truck then.

·
Registered
207 Posts
'hate it when someone refers to a PORSCHE as a p-car. How insulting! 'Bet no one refers to a Ferrari as an f-car, or a Mercedes as an m-car!Our so on...Pppppllllleeeeeaaaassseere. 'Bimmer' sounds better for BMWs than a p-car sounds for a PORSCHE.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts