Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not very far from the Blue Ridge mountains and the tail of the dragon. I have never been. I've seen the photos and have read some articles but I was wondering if any of you have had the pleasure and what your "tales" from that adventure were. Places to see, maybe some suggestions of lodging too as I would be traveling on to Virginia from there. Never taken my baby on an extended run, couldn't leave my dog, now I'm free to check it out.

Anyhow thanks in advance I look forward to your "yarns" Remember fellow members, wash those hands even more. Nobody want's to miss Porsche season

·
Registered
400 Posts
I basically live there...

It's an often crowded tourist destination for the bike and automotive enthusiast. People will always debate about there being better roads, which is true. But the dragon is still a bucket list road and the frequent traffic makes it well groomed and usually debris free.

Go on a Monday-Thursday to avoid traffic and the dangerous Florida bikers who don't know what turns are.

It's a public road with 35mph speed limits, yet that doesn't stop people from hitting 90+mph on it.

It's a public road and not a race. But you must treat it with the respect and alertness of the track. There will be people who are much faster than you on the road. Be courteous and use the pulls offs if someone comes up behind you. There will also be people who are much slower than you, give them some space and if they don't get out of your way, DO NOT PASS. Just sit back and enjoy the scenery.

Always stay in your lane. If you so much as touch the yellow line, you are putting others at risk. It's a narrow road with nothing but blind turns, so you don't know who or what could be cutting the corner too tight in the opposite direction.

If you truly want to go flat out, go at night.

Do NOT go by yourself after dark. There is no cell signal in this area, so find a friends to drive with. Or consider tagging along with one of the many Porsche groups who go throughout the year.

Fontana Village Resort is an okay quality lodge with over priced food. But it's where most people stay. Tapoca lodge has better rates and much better food, they're closer to Robinsville.

Be sure to fill up with gas before you get there, as gas near the dragon is scarce and expensive.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Here‘s the posts from my trip to Tail of the Dragon and the surrounding area. Start here ( page 290 ) and read posts # 5797, 5801, 5802, 5803, 5807, 5811 and 5812.

I list the roads I traveled, restaurants and hotels where I stayed And links to the roads I drove.

On the way down to Tail of the Dragon you owe it to yourself to hit “ Back of the Dragon “ - 33 miles and over 300 turns - EXCEPTIONAL.

Safe trip.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts