Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 6'2 and wonder how I'll fit in a 981 Boxster/Cayman. A few years ago I got a Pontiac Solstice as a rental car to drive from Ventura to San Diego CA on business. I looked forward to driving it down the Pacific Coast Highway. But I could not get the seat to fit me right. In the little econo boxes i usually end up in, I can always push the seat all the way back, and then tilt it back so that I get a comfortable ride. But I could not in the Solstice. If I pushed it all the way back, then I could not tilt it at all. To tilt it I needed to push the seat forward, and then my knees were bumping the wheel. I had a sore back for two days after driving the car for 3 hrs.

I've driven a 2009 CS for 30 min and didn't have any problems, but what about hours in the car? How do you tall guys do with you back?

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
I am 6'1 with long legs (39" inseam) and fit well into the 981 and have done several multi-day roadtrips with 10hours driving. If you have concerns, go to a dealer and sit inside one. Porsche dealers are normally willing and interested in you taking a test drive.

I am 6'2 and wonder how I'll fit in a 981 Boxster/Cayman. A few years ago I got a Pontiac Solstice as a rental car to drive from Ventura to San Diego CA on business. I looked forward to driving it down the Pacific Coast Highway. But I could not get the seat to fit me right. In the little econo boxes i usually end up in, I can always push the seat all the way back, and then tilt it back so that I get a comfortable ride. But I could not in the Solstice. If I pushed it all the way back, then I could not tilt it at all. To tilt it I needed to push the seat forward, and then my knees were bumping the wheel. I had a sore back for two days after driving the car for 3 hrs.

I've driven a 2009 CS for 30 min and didn't have any problems, but what about hours in the car? How do you tall guys do with you back?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
6'3" here, and I don't even have the seat all the way back. Plenty of headroom too.

·
Registered
302 Posts
IMHO the key to a tall man or woman being comfortable in these cars is Power seats! I am 6'3" and am very comfortable in my Cayman S on longer trips. The tilt feature along with the thigh extension does the trick. When I tested my first Cayman back in 2011 I almost didn't order a car because I couldn't get comfortable in the std seats. The power seats, 14 way or 18 way are the difference maker. My new CS is one of the most comfortable cars I have ever owned and that is over 50 so far!

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
6'4" with plenty of 3 hr+ drives, no issues. I have the Sports Seat Plus. Just lower it all the way, move all the way back, then forward enough so you can recline the seat to give the right headroom. Then adjust the steering wheel towards you to give you knee room. Fits like a driving glove.

Reactions: oksailor

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am 6'5" (used to be 6'6") with a 2015 Cayman that has the standard seats and all is fine. My longest trip has been 4 hours and I was comfortable. I always loved the Cayman shape but could not fit comfortably in the "old" Cayman, when the "new" Cayman came out I test drove a lot before buying. You should be OK.

·
Registered
186 Posts
6'3" here with Sport Seats Plus (2-way electric, the rest manual). I have a very upright seating position, and my head clears. I don't think I could get a helmet on without adjusting my seating position, but I'm very comfortable (and I have back issues already). I find the seats incredibly supportive if you have an upright and focused posture.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Age. I lost an inch too. Used to be 6'2" now 6'1"
Osteoporosis of the spine. Both in men and women.
Thank you gentlemen, I knew the answer but didn't think it could reach an inch. I thought a cm tops.

To the OP, I fit comfortably in my 987 and drove on 10+ hours trip with no problems regarding height. I know I'm 6" 3'. But after reading the posts above, I refuse to remeasure myself for my own self esteem ;)

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
The fit for tall drivers is one of those features I admire about many German cars. With my wife's Acura, although I fit inside just fine, the arch of the doorway seems wrong for what's familiar to me. I sometimes hit my head getting in. I've never had that happen for any Porsche or Volkswagen I've driven. Not sure what it is that's different.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Surf

I am 6'5"/260 lbs and my 2014 CS fits great. After trying on many two seat sport cars for size the Cayman had the most room (head/leg) by far. It certainly influenced my decision to buy one.I have the 14 way seats and have been on one 5+ hour drive and did not experience any issues.

I would rest easy on this subject and now focus on finding the car you want.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Surf

My best advice is go to a dealer and repeatedly get in and out of the car a pay close attention to the art of egress/ingress. Be honest with yourself, you are a tall fellow and it is a small car. Ride quality is what you should expect , firm and you will feel the road and all its imperfections.

If this is the experience you are looking for you won't be disappointed its a great car but to be clear its a toy.

Mav

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Don't forget to test out the steering wheel adjustments. The seating position is worthless if you can't reach the steering wheel comfortably after you've pushed the seat back to accommodate your legs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi I am 6'4" and 210 lbs. I have the 18 way seats and they are not all the way back. Long spirited drives are no problem in the seats at all. I have the comfort access which makes it easier to get my long legs out when in a tight garage (I think it might be standard here in Australia). I had a 6'5" guy in the passenger seat the other day and he also was fine (heaps of room). Good excuse for an extended test drive I say!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
There are several probable reasons why there's soooo much headroom in 981s. Most importantly, many are tracked. That requires leaving room for the helmet. Also, Germany isn't far from Holland, where even many women are 5'11", so you can imagine the size of some guys! In any case, as everyone has said, you'll be fine and DO remember to play with the steering wheel adjustment, as it's a big part of getting it to fit you right. Your back can't be much worse than mine. I'm on Rx narcotics all the time just to survive the pain . . . and I'm fine in my 981 CS (only 6' but with very short legs, meaning very long torso).

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I'm 6' 2" and wear 32W 34Lslacks and don't run the seat quite all the way back. I have 2 way sport seats and fit easy. I should also add mine is a 2014 and the new ones with the longer wheelbase are said to have a little more cabin length Than the 2014+

1 - 20 of 23 Posts