Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Porsche Prophet
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a sneak preview of our 981 Cayman S/Boxster S Turbo Kit. We have been road and dyno testing our 2014 Cayman S development car for a number of months with great progress. It is making as much power on the dyno as a 997TT! We are taking our time to test the car in many different conditions and monitoring data. And we are continually improve performance and driveability. We are hoping to go into production in mid to late Fall. Stay tuned for more info. Thanks for following our progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Hopefully the production model will have all hardware fully enclosed within the engine compartment. I kid, I kid!!!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Check is in the mail. Just fill in the numbers when it arrives. :hilarious:

I've done my baseline numbers conversion from the attached chart and make it better that a 997 GT3 Cup car.:dance:

I want one.

:cheers:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Status update?

·
Registered
407 Posts
We are still working on tuning but getting very close. We are already seeing over 430whp!

Thanks for the update Harris, great news. Excited to see the results. Has TPC done much testing on PDK cars and how much tq they can handle? I am guessing a tune on the turbos to hold wtq under 300 from down low to redline with provide similar peak HP numbers while taking it a lot easier on the pdk. It looks like you are hitting 325 wtq from 4,200 to 7,000, has to feel amazing.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I've been going round and round trying to figure out what my next sports car would be. I want MORE hp than my 987.1S but I wand the agility and handling that the 987 has. I also want the build quality and interior. Looks like this thread has the answer! It'll be a few years for me but when the time comes, the idea of a 430 hp 981 sounds perfect!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Who cares now that Porsche is finally making a Cayman GT4.

I wish I had known the GT4 was coming out so soon. I sold my stage 2 Cayman S 987.1 in Sept and bought a convertible Mustang to hold me over a couple of years thinking I was going to be waiting a while for something I really wanted. Looks like I'll be selling the stang soon

Though I wouldn't mind a Boxster GTS with a TPC turbo since I don't think they'll make a Boxster GT4.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Who cares now that Porsche is finally making a Cayman GT4.

I wish I had known the GT4 was coming out so soon. I sold my stage 2 Cayman S 987.1 in Sept and bought a convertible Mustang to hold me over a couple of years thinking I was going to be waiting a while for something I really wanted. Looks like I'll be selling the stang soon

Though I wouldn't mind a Boxster GTS with a TPC turbo since I don't think they'll make a Boxster GT4.
Can I ask why you sold your stage 2 Cayman S? That must have been a beast: a mid-engine, lightweight 2-seater with 460 HP? Should have outperformed everything but the 911 Turbo S and the GT2. And you're driving a Mustang?!? Other than the convertible and 2 extra seats, I don't see the appeal.

I've always been a sucker for the Boxster; looks way better balanced than the Cayman IMHO, and of course, it's convertible. It does not appear the Boxster will be getting a GT4 version, which is just as well because a stage 2 turbo kit will be more power anyway, though less linear. That's why I'm particularly interested in the 981 turbo kit.

David

·
Registered
579 Posts
Thank you everyone for following our thread and for all the inquiries. Here's the latest update-

Many of you already know that we have been driving our 2014 Cayman S with prototype turbo kit since last March. The mechanical portion of the turbo system is fully developed and performs flawlessly. Easily makes 420hp at wheels with more power available on tap should we choose to dial it up. However, we have been working to improve the of the electronics portion. Mainly, the software programming. The factory ECU is highly encrypted. Currently there are different companies working on cracking the encryption. It could be months or could be years but as soon as there's a breakthrough on the software side then our turbo system is ready to go since the mechanical portion has been sorted. Our test car is using a piggy-back(external processor) computer for tuning. In our experience from other projects we have learned that most people prefer ECU software tuning over the use of an external processor because this seems like a dated approach on a hi-tech car even though it works. For those who don't mind the use of an external processor we can schedule the installation in Spring. We will be doing the installation of the first 5 kits only at our shop in Jessup, MD.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Well, it was really about 420hp from my dyno numbers, but you are right it was an absolute beast.

I severly miss the handling of it. Mustangs' suspension COMPLETELY SUCK compared to the "fancy cars" I'm used to driving. I recently drove a Gallardo, GT-R & R8 V10 on the track via an Extreme Driving Experience thing. The Gallardo & R8 V10 reminded me of my Cayman, but to be honest none of the 3 exotics felt significantly faster. All 3 were AWD, but they didn't feel like they handled any better. All 3 exotics kind of felt heavy compared to my Cayman, especially the GT-R. That said, I didn't have the GT-R in "R-mode".

BTW, if you look at the #'s on TPC's website it says: +100hp for stage 1, +30-40hp for stage 2... that equals +140 max.

987.1 = stock 295hp + 140 hp = 435hp best case for 987.1 (maybe 460hp for 987.2)

The day I tested with very high heat & humidity, I got on the low end. ( 362 wheel horsepower, estimated to be 420 crank hp)

The weather definitely affected the turbo more than NA. I could feel a significant power increase on cool mornings, where I was probably closer to that +140hp.

Anyway, I needed the extra seats is the main reason I changed cars. I loved my Cayman S Turbo, but I rarely got to driver her. B/c of schedules/work I often had "surprise you need to pick up the 2 kids today" calls from wife. So I didn't ever get to DD the Cayman b/c of kid duty. Then I've been itching for a convertible. I also really wanted a 981 Boxster S / GTS, but I knew it would end up sitting in the garage probably too much, like the Cayman did b/c of the 2 seats.

I also had 2 oil seals blow, the last 2 times I took her to the track. So it felt like reliability had been compromised, but I think it was just kind of needed maintenance for a 2006 car with a turbo. I think there was probably only one more old seal to go out. Once it was replaced then everything would be new and probably up to the higher pressures.

My choices came down to:
1. keep Cayman S Turbo (CST) - rarely drive it. Also kind of felt like it was depreciating faster with more 981's hitting market.
2. sell CST, get Mustang - only $6k out of pocket for $46k sticker car, convertible, new, warranty, 4-seats, etc.
3. sell CST, wait for something new - lose tax savings from courtesy trade deal I had worked out.

The only other car I would consider was a 991 S Cab, but I didn't want to drop $100k+ on a car right now.

It was a no-brainer. For a little over $6k, I got a brand new "more practical" car that I could drive A LOT more often.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the update, Harris. That's a bummer. I wish the news was better. I'm fine with having an external processor, but I'm probably not driving all the way from San Diego to Maryland to get it installed. :) I've been looking into a turbocharged Boxster for 3 years now, but as the 987 model aged, it became a less and less attractive option. Lately I'm trying to narrow down my choices: stock 981 Boxster S; turbo'ed 981 Boxster S, 981 Cayman S, and now the Cayman GT4; V-8 Jaguar F-type convertible; NSX; the choices are endless. I still really want the balanced mid-engine handling, open-top motoring, and reasonable cost of the turbocharged Boxster S. I may just get a Boxster S and wait for the ECU fix.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, it was really about 420hp from my dyno numbers, but you are right it was an absolute beast.

It was a no-brainer. For a little over $6k, I got a brand new "more practical" car that I could drive A LOT more often.
Kids do change our priorities, don't they? That'll probably happen to me someday too. Haha

·
Registered
309 Posts
Harris,

A few questions:

- Are there any issues with CELs and the piggyback unit? More specifically, will it prevent us from passing ODBII-based motor vehicle inspections?

- I forget, is your test mule MT or PDK? Will this kit work on both?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts