Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks - I have done my best to review previous threads, including the "post your ride height" thread and others, but am still a little in the dark on a few issues:

I want to moderately lower my '08 Cayman, non-PASM - mainly for appearance purposes (yes, the ugly 4X4 looking wheel-arch gap), and sharper handling will be a nice bonus on top of that. "Moderate" would mean about 20mm but I realise that this is not possible through going for springs alone - meaning I need to accept somewhere between 25-35mm.

I seem to have established the following, mainly from the small sample size in the "post your ride height" thread:

- H&R springs seem to lower the car more than most (approx 35mm)
- Eibach seem to lower slightly less than H&R
- TECHART seem to lower similar to Eibach (they advertise 25mm), though Eibach seem to be about 30mm?
- All of the above might offer slightly improved handling, but without significant compromise in ride quality.

I know TECHART springs are made by Eibach and that TECHART do not publish the spring rates... Is this because they are nothing more than a more expensive, rebranded Eibach pro-kit I wonder? Someone close to Eibach here in Australia tells me also that the more expensive TECHART springs are exactly that - just the standard Eibach springs but with TECHART branding.... can anyone verify whether or not this is true?

If there is no difference between Eibach and TECHART springs then obvioulsy I will go with the Eibachs (lower cost); but if indeed the TECHART springs do deliver a more modest lowering of 25mm then I will probably opt for them..

By the way - the service manager at a Porsche dealer told me that to put PASM springs (ok - just 10mm lower so not really worth it anyway) on a non-PASM car would be a very bad idea - due to likely ride problems through poor match of the spring and shocker - I saw some threads on this as an option for mild lowering with slightly stiffer spring rates but no mention of this problem - thought I should flag it here in case anyone is interested, or knows more.

On reflection I wonder whether this whole "I want it lowered but not too much" issue is a bit like breast augmentation (so I am told by by female friends) - wanting the benefits, but slightly fearful that it will all be a bit too much - but then once the job is done realising that your fears were unfounded and that actually you could have gone for slightly more anyway.. perhaps there are some parallels with lowering your Cayman - maybe my "no more than 25mm" desire is a bit pointless...

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I am going through the same thing as you. I no longer track a car enough to justify $3000 plus on coil overs. All I want is a reasonable drop, if that is possible, without seriously compromising the suspension.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hi Guys,
I went through the same thing on mine. I called Techart USA, RUF usa (who also advertise 25 mm), H&R, and Eibach. Eibach were the only ones who were very open with data (except they can't provide TEchart data). In the end I went with Eibach and am very happy. The car definitely handles better and does not ride much more stiffly. Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys,
I went through the same thing on mine. I called Techart USA, RUF usa (who also advertise 25 mm), H&R, and Eibach. Eibach were the only ones who were very open with data (except they can't provide TEchart data). In the end I went with Eibach and am very happy. The car definitely handles better and does not ride much more stiffly. Good luck.
Thank Jeff - Your car looks absolutely fantastic, lowered with those rims - a respectful and beautiful modification, yet no hint of molestation!

Mine is the same colour (though 2.7) and my 19" Carrera Sport wheels arrive today or tomorrow, so I will put them on, check the heights and clearances again and I think I might end up going for the Eibachs - a lack of published facts associated with the TECHARTs presents little justification for the hefty price tag as fas as I am concerned.

Just a final question - your avatar photo is with the Eibach's installed, right? Did you add any spacers to adjust height or just straight bolt on of the Eibach's?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Thank Jeff - Your car looks absolutely fantastic, lowered with those rims - a respectful and beautiful modification, yet no hint of molestation!

Mine is the same colour (though 2.7) and my 19" Carrera Sport wheels arrive today or tomorrow, so I will put them on, check the heights and clearances again and I think I might end up going for the Eibachs - a lack of published facts associated with the TECHARTs presents little justification for the hefty price tag as fas as I am concerned.

Just a final question - your avatar photo is with the Eibach's installed, right? Did you add any spacers to adjust height or just straight bolt on of the Eibach's?

Thanks again.

Thank You very much Sir. :cheers:

Yes, the Eibachs were on my car for the avatar photo, and they were a straight bolt-on with no spacers at all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello,

soon to be cayman s owner here. it's on the barge from long beach to hawaii as i write this. i'm excited as hell and already thinking of giving it a a bit of a drop. nothing outrageous. hopefully something like your Jeff tasteful, clean. great job! thanks Jeff and everyone who contribute to this site. i've learned a great deal. i think i'm going to go with the eibachs. i'm just hoping that i won't be torn a new one for installation.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
Thank You very much Sir. :cheers:

Yes, the Eibachs were on my car for the avatar photo, and they were a straight bolt-on with no spacers at all.
Jeff G in NE GA:
I am considering installing Eibach springs in my Cayman. My goal is to improve perfomance, more so than aesthetics. The car is a road car that is frequently used at PCA DE events, where I'm running in the advanced driver's group. The only changes to the stock (non-PASM) suspension (thus far) include 996 GT3 LCAs (F) and RSS A/R bars (F&R.) I run R-compond tires at the track, except in the rain.

(Please, everyone, for the sake of this discussion, don't suggest coil-overs. Thank you.)

I value your experience with suspension setups, based on your many previous posts on the subject. Please forgive me if you've already answered the following questions:
  1. Was your car originally PASM-equipped? By how much did the Eibach springs lower its ride height?
  2. What does Eibach publish as their spring rates? How do these rates compare to the stock (PASM/non-PASM) springs?
  3. Is the remainder of your suspension stock (especially struts/dampers?) If so, does the car now feel under-damped?
  4. Did lowering the car create any issues (e.g. wheel alignment/bump steer/etc.) that would required additional suspension changes to rectify?
TIA,
Croc'ed

·
Registered
621 Posts
  1. Was your car originally PASM-equipped? By how much did the Eibach springs lower its ride height?
  2. What does Eibach publish as their spring rates? How do these rates compare to the stock (PASM/non-PASM) springs?
  3. Is the remainder of your suspension stock (especially struts/dampers?) If so, does the car now feel under-damped?
  4. Did lowering the car create any issues (e.g. wheel alignment/bump steer/etc.) that would required additional suspension changes to rectify?
TIA,
Croc'ed
Hi Croc'ed. Thanks much for your compliments. I'm not on here much lately (very busy with a new job near Charlotte), but will attempt some quick answers:
1) My car is non-PASM. Eibach advertises a 30 mm drop. I did not measure, but this seems about right - and, rake looks correct as well (which I can't say for the h&Rs I put on two Boxsters).
2) The Eibach rates are noted elsewhere on this site (please search), someone even posted graphs as I recall. As I recall, the Eibach rates were roughly the same amount stiffer than OEM PASM springs, as the PASM springs are comnpared to non-PASM. (roughly equal steps up each time). This seems about right, as the reduction in ride heights are 10 mm and 30 mm respectively. The rate numbers Eibach gave me compared well with the rates noted on this site.
3) Yes, the rest of my suspension is stock, low-mileage. I did this on purpose, having tried more stuff on other cars, having learned in racing that stiffer isn't always good, driving mainly on the street (aggressively), and seeing this car's mission as Not a focused-racing car - but something more refined. You may even (dare I say it) find it interesting to test you car with stock ARBs - esp on tracks with any bumps. (Some will passsionately disagree with this). (On purpose-designed road-racing cars, we tend to run as soft as we can get away with - sometimes even with No ARBs (though I wouldn't recommend no ARBs on our cars). It does not feel underdamped to me. (Not sure if your car is an S, or how non-S springs/dampers compare to S).
4) Lowering created no issues, aside from requiring a good alignment (like any lowering would). The camber/toe adjustment on the rear was at it's limit, but worked fine. I would be sure to use a sport-oriented shop if you don't align it yourself. It takes good attention (and caring) to detail to optimize the rear toe/camber tradeoff. I have not measured bump steer, but it seems fine (I am only operating the suspension further up its stock geometry/travel than normal); This could likely be fine-tuned to a small benefit on the track though. As noted by others, these cars like negative camber up front (which you're in a good postion to tweek). Some have suggested the change in roll center induced by lowering, more than offsets the gains made from lowering the CG of these cars. I disagree. My car definitely corners harder and is not unstable or poorly balanced.

I hope this helps a bit.

Regards,

-Jeff

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
Jeff G:
Thanks for taking the time to thoughtfully answer my questions. Your experiences and impressions have been very helpful.
Briscayman: Sorry for hijacking your thread! Hopefully this little "tangent" has not been too far off-topic.
Regards,
Croc'ed

·
Registered
410 Posts
I just had the H&R springs put on my Cayman and I am happy with my decision. Keep in mind the install is a bit of pain especially getting to the rears but pretty straight forward. Springs plus install came to $775.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.