Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1381 - 1400 of 1440 Posts

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
PED works just like any other keyless ignition. Fob just needs to be in your pocket. Turning a switch or pushing a button is the same. ..
actually the switch can be found by feel much easier than a flat button. Probably why Porsche used the "fake key" as you call it. ...
Oh I know that it works the same, but the physical implementation is what leaves me cold, first, the fake key looks to those wanting to steal your car like you left the key in the ignition, this is not a good plan! :drivingskid:

Second I prefer the look and simplicity that the push button gives... :)

But to each their own!

·
Vendor
6,490 Posts
Hello Everyone

First post with my build information in the sig. Still trying to figure out what real dates are . . . . . I did order it with delivery at the Atlanta PEC but haven't been able to get 100% dates from my sales person. Told end of May delivery, and my window at the PEC is May 24 to June 3 so hopefully it really is around then.

Edit : Didn't see my sig pop up so I pasted below:

2016 Cayman GTS
Mahogany | Manual | X73 | Espresso Natural Leather | PTV | PCCB | Heated/Ventilated | 18-Way | Folding Mirrors | 20" Turbo | CDR Plus | Entry & Drive | Dimming Mirrors | 2-Zone Climate | Light Design | Seat Belts Beige
Ordered 02.20.16 |
Expected Delivery 05.24.16
Not bad, but check up smoking package and sport design steering wheel if it's not too late

·
Registered
437 Posts
Not bad, but check up smoking package and sport design steering wheel if it's not too late
I did get smoking package just didn't list it. Also, I ended up dumping the sport design (which I originally specced) for the multi function wheel. Since its a manual, there wont be any paddle shifters, and I would prefer to have controls for the computer and phone, on the wheel instead of another "turn signal" stick.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I did get smoking package just didn't list it. Also, I ended up dumping the sport design (which I originally specced) for the multi function wheel. Since its a manual, there wont be any paddle shifters, and I would prefer to have controls for the computer and phone, on the wheel instead of another "turn signal" stick.
I ordered the sport design wheel for mine partly for looks, but also because it was comfortable in my hands. The multifunction wheel in the rental Cayman I tried out for two days triggered my carpel tunnel a bit. Not so with the SportDesign wheel on my test drives. Make sure you go check it out in person if you have not done so already.

·
Vendor
6,490 Posts
I ordered the sport design wheel for mine partly for looks, but also because it was comfortable in my hands. The multifunction wheel in the rental Cayman I tried out for two days triggered my carpel tunnel a bit. Not so with the SportDesign wheel on my test drives. Make sure you go check it out in person if you have not done so already.
Yep. It's a trade off between buttons and looks+ergonomics. For me - looks + ergonomics win hands down. I have no problem using radio buttons.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I have no use of two sets of radio controls (one fixed and one that spins with the steering wheel), so my car got the SportDesign steering wheel.

My work cars have a bunch of buttons on the steering wheel, and it's just plain odd to have to use the controls upside down, on the other side of the steering column, from when I saw them last (The radio itself is not really easily accessible to me because of modifications to the vehicle).

·
Registered
443 Posts
Oh I know that it works the same, but the physical implementation is what leaves me cold, first, the fake key looks to those wanting to steal your car like you left the key in the ignition, this is not a good plan! :drivingskid:

Second I prefer the look and simplicity that the push button gives... :)

But to each their own!
I don't have a problem with the "fake" key vs. a button at all. I've had both, and it is the same effort for each. My issue with implementation is the locking scheme, or more accurately lack of a locking scheme, that is disappointing as well as bizarre.

As far as thievery goes, I am not worried about that key at all. First of all, 99.99% of car thieves are not the sharpest tool in the shed, and they likely wouldn't even consider looking on the left for the key. Second, a quick look through the side window, and the key just looks like another accessory dial. I think for PED to be a theft issue would require a combination of a knowledgeable thief shopping for a specific car, and how many of those are there really vs. car theft of opportunity.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I chose the sports design, not only for the looks, but I was given a Cayman to test drive for the weekend and I just couldn't get used to the paddle arrangement after years of left is down gears and right is up gears, from my previous cars. I kept going for the right paddle to shift up, but shifted down by accident.

·
Registered
229 Posts
In the process of ordering a new c GTS manual and need some help from you folks :

just sold my 97 993 excited about the GTS, I do about 3 to 5 track weekends a year...I am adding the following performance options and would like comments please:

Power Steering Plus
Porsche Tourque Vectoring
Sports suspension ---is this needed I know that base GTS comes with PASM

other cosmetic options are brining the sticker up to around $ 85,800 dealer is saying will discount around 6%
supposedly this car will be one of the last GTS's made for 2016, Next round of GTS will not be until 2018. What do you folks think of the performance options ?
delivery will not be for 10 weeks UGH !

thanks

Dennis

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am adding the following performance options and would like comments please:

Power Steering Plus
My understanding is that Power Steering Plus is only active at low speeds -- for instance, it reduces the steering effort while parking. If you're into that sort of thing, no big deal -- for me, I skipped it.

PTV is a must-have if you're looking for performance. I believe it's the only way to get a factory LSD.

The X73 sports suspension is also the performance choice. The only question will be whether it's too stiff for you for everyday use. That depends a lot on what kind of roads you drive on. But if you're planning to track the car, you're probably well aware of the trade-off there. For me, it's actually a less aggressive suspension than my other car (a heavily modified '03 Lancer Evo), so I don't mind it a bit.

10 week delivery isn't bad. My delivery time was about 20 weeks. :)

·
Vendor
6,490 Posts
My understanding is that Power Steering Plus is only active at low speeds -- for instance, it reduces the steering effort while parking. If you're into that sort of thing, no big deal -- for me, I skipped it.
Yep. But it's just one more thing that messes up with your steering, which makes it con, not pro, esp. considering all other performance oriented options on that list. Our steering is already pretty light, and very easy to maneuver during parking. It's one of those options that solve nothing, but stealers just love recommending it, as "necessary"...

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
In the process of ordering a new c GTS manual and need some help from you folks :

just sold my 97 993 excited about the GTS, I do about 3 to 5 track weekends a year...I am adding the following performance options and would like comments please:

Power Steering Plus

other cosmetic options are brining the sticker up to around $ 85,800 dealer is saying will discount around 6%
supposedly this car will be one of the last GTS's made for 2016, Next round of GTS will not be until 2018. What do you folks think of the performance options ?

thanks

Dennis
Hey there welcome to the forum! Looks like you have some answers about options already.

So did you get any indication if this is one of the last 981's in the pipe, we must be getting to the end of the 981.1 run or is the a 981.2?

·
Registered
229 Posts

Power Steering Plus

thanks

Dennis
Well after test driving the PDK I switched to that......also did not order the sport suspension, my understanding that the PASM sport setting really makes the ride firmer for the track and is firm enough and if you order the sport suspension it is always firm around town or not ,,,sport suspension also lowers the car another 10 cc.

I did order the torque Vectoring as I do 4 to 6 track DE's per year...with everything exclusive of delivery MSRP came in at $ 86,145..i got about 6.5 % off that

Been told should be in one of the last lots for the year ...it will be one of the last 981.1

sales person told me in 2017 there would not be any GTS, but they would show up again in 2018

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
FWIW, my SA advised against Power Steering Plug, and I'm happy with mine without it. PTV is a must, IMO, and the X73 is a personal choice, were I to be taking mine on track I'd probably have opted for it, but since I don't plan to, I stuck with PASM, and I'm also happy with that decision. Mine was lightly optioned, but I wish I'd gone for XM radio and maybe heated wheel, but overall I'm happy as a clam.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
my understanding that the PASM sport setting really makes the ride firmer for the track and is firm enough and if you order the sport suspension it is always firm around town or not ,,,sport suspension also lowers the car another 10 cc.
The real difference between X73 and PASM is body-roll. PASM makes the shocks stiff, but can't make softer springs stiffer, nor sway bars stronger. Bottom line is if you can stand the X73 ride, it handles much better than PASM. If you can't stand the ride, then you have to live with PASM shortcomings when driving spiritedly. Most folks don't drive the car hard enough to benefit from X73, but if you do, make sure you'd be happy with PASM. Not fun to be wrong either way. I had to choose blindly, and am glad I went for X73, but drive both if you have a chance, to make the decision easier. The stance alone was worth it to me, but it handles incredibly well. The ride is stiff, yes, but with tires at 'comfort' pressures of 30 psi (good up to 160 mph, or something close to that), it's firm but car feels really good. My car has every other performance option, and didn't want to regret not having X73. It's barely acceptable to my wife, but acceptable, so mission accomplished;).

As far as PS+, it's the German version. I have it, and it's not light at slow speeds at all. you still need both hands to turn. It, however, feels amazing. Haven't driven any other 981, so can't compare it to non-PS+, but this one feels absolutely perfect everywhere. I'm afraid there's more to it than just 'being light at slow speeds', but nobody knows for sure. Since it was the steering Germany developed the car with, that's what I wanted. And glad I did. I don't know if ratios are different, but for comparison, my car has exactly 1-1/4 turns center to lock, or 2-1/2 lock to lock.

Finally, I really wanted LSD, and the only way to have it is with PTV. But I wish there was a switch or setting to turn rear braking off, and just leave you with LSD. I don't think I'll overheat the rear brakes riding twisty roads aggressively, but it's always nice to have the option, especially if you track the car, and have brake heat issues. I'll have to play with the car on the twisties, and see how it feels. My guess is you have to drive quite aggressively, and probably in sport+ to feel the benefits of PTV. That's what I have to find out. I'm always driving in sport and manual tranny modes, but sport+ relaxes the nannies more, I think. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I forgot to mention that one of the parts I had waiting on my car was the X73 rear sway bar. I installed it immediately so I have less body roll than the stock PASM. As I said, I've no intention of tracking this car, gave up that passion a few years ago, so for my purposes its just about perfect.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
The real difference between X73 and PASM is body-roll.
The big difference between X73 and PASM (and the base suspension, for that matter), is the chassis balance. The solid 22mm X73 rear sway bar imparts more roll stiffness than anything else, which tends to reduce understeer.

PASM makes the shocks stiff, but can't make softer springs stiffer, nor sway bars stronger. Bottom line is if you can stand the X73 ride, it handles much better than PASM. If you can't stand the ride, then you have to live with PASM shortcomings when driving spiritedly. Most folks don't drive the car hard enough to benefit from X73...
True. Electronically altering the damping, cannot make the springs softer and stiffer. This is a big deal.

As far as PS+, it's the German version. I have it, and it's not light at slow speeds at all. you still need both hands to turn. It, however, feels amazing. Haven't driven any other 981, so can't compare it to non-PS+, but this one feels absolutely perfect everywhere. I'm afraid there's more to it than just 'being light at slow speeds', but nobody knows for sure. Since it was the steering Germany developed the car with, that's what I wanted. And glad I did. I don't know if ratios are different, but for comparison, my car has exactly 1-1/4 turns center to lock, or 2-1/2 lock to lock.
The steering rack is variable ratio. I've been in my boots since last night so I'm pretty tired, but if memory serves, it's about 13:1 on center, and about 10:1 or so at full lock. That's pretty quick. I do not have Power Steering Plus, and I feel no need for it.

Finally, I really wanted LSD, and the only way to have it is with PTV. But I wish there was a switch or setting to turn rear braking off, and just leave you with LSD. I don't think I'll overheat the rear brakes riding twisty roads aggressively, but it's always nice to have the option, especially if you track the car, and have brake heat issues. I'll have to play with the car on the twisties, and see how it feels. My guess is you have to drive quite aggressively, and probably in sport+ to feel the benefits of PTV. That's what I have to find out. I'm always driving in sport and manual tranny modes, but sport+ relaxes the nannies more, I think. We'll see.
There HAVE been reports of rear brakes overheating on PTV cars, but the real reason I skipped it is because the OEM PTV LSD is a pretty wimpy one- it's gonna revert to a one-legged car right quick. There are aftermarket LSD units that are more beefy, plus non-PTV cars don't have the artificial rear brake intervention that PTV cars do. If I feel I need an LSD at some point, I'll just buy one. A real one.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well after test driving the PDK I switched to that......also did not order the sport suspension, my understanding that the PASM sport setting really makes the ride firmer for the track and is firm enough and if you order the sport suspension it is always firm around town or not ,,,sport suspension also lowers the car another 10 cc.

I did order the torque Vectoring as I do 4 to 6 track DE's per year...with everything exclusive of delivery MSRP came in at $ 86,145..i got about 6.5 % off that

Been told should be in one of the last lots for the year ...it will be one of the last 981.1

sales person told me in 2017 there would not be any GTS, but they would show up again in 2018
Well changed to a PDK going back to the dealer to try and test drive the sport suspension, not sure wife would like it but also not sure when she compares my 97 993 with pss9 ( sold ) and racing sport seats. a little concerned about the lowered front end and really only do between 3 and 5 DE's per year...struggling with this one....

I have added lots of options( Adaptive sport seats plus ,parking assist front and rear and some various aluminum, options in the interior, to get the msrp up around 91k with about a 6.5 % discount

·
Registered
64 Posts
going back to the dealer to try and test drive the sport suspension, not sure wife would like it but also not sure when she compares my 97 993 with pss9 ( sold ) and racing sport seats. a little concerned about the lowered front end and really only do between 3 and 5 DE's per year...struggling with this one....
I would just note that when I was ordering my 981 GTS, I went through the same debate. I ended up trusting what I found in this thread:

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...5-arguments-against-x73-sport-suspension.html

That thread convinced me that the X73 sport suspension was the way to go.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks for the post, wish dealer had a car with the x73 to test...I am 63 years old and we are hoping to take the car on long trips...ie out west, will only track 3 to 5 weekends a year.......if she is uncomfortable on long trips I will be in deep *.*. If I was 35 or 40 would be a no brainer, kept last car for 15 years ( 1997 993 triple Black Cabriolet ,highly modified for the track, she would not get in it ) suspect this one may be my last Porsche. Really tough decision gone back and forth 3 times already .....

Another question for the board I am currently ordering the Adoptive Sport seats plus, sales guy told me that the thigh and shoulder bolsters are power adjustable to help you snug your self into the car. I used to have 5 point harness and am assuming that these seats will secure me ....are they really that much better and more secure than the Sports Seats Plus ?

all of these decisions are making me nuts !! thanks for all the advice and comments

dennis

1381 - 1400 of 1440 Posts