Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1401 - 1420 of 1440 Posts

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Thanks for the post, wish dealer had a car with the x73 to test...I am 63 years old and we are hoping to take the car on long trips...ie out west, will only track 3 to 5 weekends a year.......if she is uncomfortable on long trips I will be in deep *.*. If I was 35 or 40 would be a no brainer, kept last car for 15 years ( 1997 993 triple Black Cabriolet ,highly modified for the track, she would not get in it ) suspect this one may be my last Porsche. Really tough decision gone back and forth 3 times already .....

Another question for the board I am currently ordering the Adoptive Sport seats plus, sales guy told me that the thigh and shoulder bolsters are power adjustable to help you snug your self into the car. I used to have 5 point harness and am assuming that these seats will secure me ....are they really that much better and more secure than the Sports Seats Plus ?

all of these decisions are making me nuts !! thanks for all the advice and comments

dennis
Dennis, I am going to make a couple of comments as I am not a lot younger then you (57); so if this is going to be your last Porsche and the wife will be riding with you on those long trips... sure X73 is good no argument, but for a daily driver over roads that will not be as smooth as a track surface the X73 will be a lot firmer then the 'Normal' setting in PASM, for 3 to 5 weekends (literally only hours on the track) are you willing to give up a more comfortable ride for a few tenths on the track? Remember that PASM is extremely capable and it would be the skill of the driver that would determine the lap times, when PASM is set to Sport or Sport Plus it will be more then capable for most drivers, especially those who only track the cars occasionally.

I had X73 all set to go on my latest car but decided to go with PASM and it's ability to change the characteristics of the suspension to match to task at hand... more then happy I did!

As for the seats, I found that the Sport Seat Plus provided a good fit in the twisties but allowed a more comfortable feel for those long road trips.

:2cents:

Reactions: okindao

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Thanks for the post, wish dealer had a car with the x73 to test...I am 63 years old and we are hoping to take the car on long trips...ie out west, will only track 3 to 5 weekends a year.......if she is uncomfortable on long trips I will be in deep *.*. If I was 35 or 40 would be a no brainer, kept last car for 15 years ( 1997 993 triple Black Cabriolet ,highly modified for the track, she would not get in it ) suspect this one may be my last Porsche. Really tough decision gone back and forth 3 times already .....

Another question for the board I am currently ordering the Adoptive Sport seats plus, sales guy told me that the thigh and shoulder bolsters are power adjustable to help you snug your self into the car. I used to have 5 point harness and am assuming that these seats will secure me ....are they really that much better and more secure than the Sports Seats Plus ?

all of these decisions are making me nuts !! thanks for all the advice and comments

dennis
Where in OH are you? If you aren't too far we could meet and I could give you a ride in it.

FWIW, I'd describe the X73 as firm but not punishing. Tires play a big part on this and the Pzeros have really firm sidewalls that transmit the jolts from big bumps. I'll be replacing these with MSS probably next year.

When I ordered this in Sept. '12' the suspension had just been released and there was little info out there about had it would work. We had PASM on a 987 and it made for a good cruising car but never cared for the sport mode at the track much--the X73 is a better track suspension, at least compared to the PASM on the '06'.

We drive mostly on interstates and local roads and the X73 is great. had a chance to drive on some broken streets in Cleveland and it got tiresome fast. So... if you're typical drive is on smooth pavement--no problem; if it's on busted pavement PASM would work better.

Regarding the adaptive seats, if I could have gone the extra $3k for them I would have gotten them, but he Sport Seats plus are way better than the stock seats at the track. Just make sure you're cinched up tight with the should belt and you're good.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks for the responses, I am in Cincinnati and would like to ride in a car with the sport suspension and would drive to see and ride in it.

great input from all

·
Registered
229 Posts
thanks for your reply, I also have a 2002 BMW M5 ( bought used in 2006 )which has been my daily driver for 10 years and now I plan on using both for that purpose. Live in Cincinnati and don't go down town much so really do not drive on real bumpy roads often. I agree with your premise and I guess I want both advantages and keep thinking if the x73 is not too uncomfortable for longer trips I get the best of both worlds.....there are great arguments on both sides of this issue , and being the most expensive car and probably last Porsche I will ever buy, I have literally gone back and forth on this question too much to admit

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

dennis
Dennis, I am a big fan of the X73 suspension package, but I also realize that not every question has the same answer. In all candor, you sound like a PASM customer. If the understeer of PASM bothers you, you could always balance the chassis with a cheap and easy swap to the solid 22mm X73 rear sway bar, with virtually zero reduction in ride quality. Switch to '76 Cadillac Sedan Deville mode on long trips with wifey, and then switch to sportier damping when called for. Different damping settings cannot make the springs stiffer, but it's better than nothing.

In fact, if we're voting on this, that would be my vote for you- PASM with an X73 rear sway bar swap.

Reactions: Westcoaster

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I'm almost 68 and I considered the X73 but after discussing it with my SA I decided the PASM was good enough for meI enjoyed my previous 987 CS but felt it was a little harsh even though I have modified the suspensions on my cars for 40 years. I don't plan to track my CGTS and even if I were to, I believe the PASM will provide me with a stiff enough suspension in Sport Plus mode. I did swap out the rear sway bar for the S73 one, which tightened things up a bit without creating any more harshness in the ride. I'm pleased with my decision. If I were 30 years younger I'd probably have gone with the X73 but at this stage in life I've experienced that kind of ride enough.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I'm almost 68 and I considered the X73 but after discussing it with my SA I decided the PASM was good enough for me...

I did swap out the rear sway bar for the [X]73 one, which tightened things up a bit without creating any more harshness in the ride. I'm pleased with my decision. If I were 30 years younger I'd probably have gone with the X73 but at this stage in life I've experienced that kind of ride enough.
Sounds like sound thinking.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Dennis, I am a big fan of the X73 suspension package, but I also realize that not every question has the same answer. In all candor, you sound like a PASM customer. If the understeer of PASM bothers you, you could always balance the chassis with a cheap and easy swap to the solid 22mm X73 rear sway bar, with virtually zero reduction in ride quality. Switch to '76 Cadillac Sedan Deville mode on long trips with wifey, and then switch to sportier damping when called for. Different damping settings cannot make the springs stiffer, but it's better than nothing.

In fact, if we're voting on this, that would be my vote for you- PASM with an X73 rear sway bar swap.
Ah there is another option. Fit PTV. I have never had understeer regardless of how hard I try to induce it. PTV also changes the Sway bars.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
For anyone who hasn't yet ordered, here are some thoughts about some possible options, having owned a 981 for a year and a half:

Performance options
For those who track their cars, these are often considered a must (PTV, Sport Chrono, Sport Suspension, etc.) However, if you will never track your car, I think there a good reasons to get none of these. They increase your costs. That increase does not translate into much of a bump in resale value (meaning you'll lose most of your money). They lower the car and the car is already too low (meaning you will scratch up the bottom of the front bumper on some driveway aprons, etc.). But most importantly, even without any of these options, the car already vastly exceeds anything quasi-legal that you can do on corners on public roads, so you'd probably be spending your money for nothing.

Rear wiper
It's not expensive. You won't use it much. But that first swipe after a rain or snow makes driving so much more fun not to mention safer. Unless you think it's really ugly (I barely notice it), consider adding it.

Sport steering wheel
The base steering wheel is often described as "ugly." That's because it's ugly. The sport steering wheel looks great. Don't pass on considering this option until you've at least seen both, as you'll be looking at that steering wheel a whole lot for hopefully a long time.

Multi-function steering wheel
What--you can't reach a few inches to turn on the radio? And aesthetically it doesn't hold a candle to the sport steering wheel.

Electric seat packages
Will your wife really drive this thing? Mine claimed she would, so we got the seats with all the buttons. But she never drives it. So I wasted money and added weight (and something else that can break eventually). I could have just left the seat in one position all the time--set up for me. Bottom line? If you're the ONLY one whose likely to be driving the car, consider passing on this common option even though just about every other car already comes with power seats standard these days and it is an option with Porsche only so they can squeeze more money out of us.

Park assist
Don't consider this a wimp thing. If you have a narrow driveway or if you live in a city and need to do parallel parking, this option makes life a whole lot easier (and parking much faster). You don't need the camera--just the cheaper version works fine, at least for me. But the front park assist (which I only got to please my wife) has surprisingly been very useful in parallel parking. I'd never buy another car without both front and rear.

Wood veneer dash
Very few /people actually choose to get it. The veneer is so thin and covered with so much clear synthetic stuff that it hardly looks like real wood, just like virtually all new wood veneer dashboards (as opposed the the real wood one used to see on classic English cars, e.g.)

PDK
OK--the big one. PDK. If you track the car and speed is the primary issue, you need it, as it's literally faster than the manual. If you track the car and fun is the primary issue, then you need to not get it, for obvious reasons. If you live in the city, seriously consider PDK before saying no. Bumper-to-bumper traffic with manual is such a drag. If you don't live in the city . . . the increases in gas mileage and acceleration with PDK over manual are real but small. Given that's the case, I think your primary considerations are these: is the high price worth it to you and how much more fun do you think you'll have with manual? These are subjective questions. But don't forget if you get PDK and the sport steering wheel you'll have those great paddles to shift manually with whenever you like. IF YOU GET PDK: you must get the sport steering wheel. The tiny manual shift buttons on the standard steering wheel are a real drag compared with the formula-1/Ferrari style paddles on the nice sport steering wheel.

Leather interior
All car manufacturers now sand the leather smooth and stamp it with a "leather like pattern." This is both unnecessary AND makes the leather look far less like real leather, but they all do it. Compare, e.g., the look of leather seats in any new car (including the 981) with the real leather look on 1950s Jaguar seats. It's night and day. That said, psychologically I just couldn't bear spending a fortune on a car with cheap plastic seats, so I got the leather and must confess I don't regret the decision. But this is all subjective. And the so-called "natural" leather interiors (which cost even more): Look before buying. My wife, the SA, and I all could hardly perceive a difference in appearance between the "leather" interiors and the "natural leather" interiors in terms of aesthetics.

Sport exhaust
Purely subjective. Best to not consider without hearing both. If money and fair play are on your mind, the cost of this option (vs. the probable cost of manufacture) may make it the absolute worst rip-off of anything you can add to a 981. That said, if you just love the sound and have the dough, the picture changes. And the sound of the regular muffler? Of course the answer is subjective, but I think it's fair to say it sounds good till about 4000 revs, and then it sounds spectacular. Do a test drive and see what you think.

Multi-color center wheel hub covers
These are a total rip--$180 for two dollars worth of plastic. That said, they do actually improve the appearance of the car in the view of many. Look at both choices. Make your own decision. While it is a naked rip off, it is also only $180.

And finally
This car ain't for transportation. It's for fun. Sometimes seemingly illogical choices with options can affect the fun factor so much that there are times when going with your heart instead of your head may be the right path. In the end, have fun and good luck. You're bound to love this car!

·
Registered
229 Posts
For anyone who hasn't yet ordered, here are some thoughts about some possible options, having owned a 981 for a year and a half:

Performance options
For those who track their cars, these are often considered a must (PTV, Sport Chrono, Sport Suspension, etc.) However, if you will never track your car, I think there a good reasons to get none of these. They increase your costs. That increase does not translate into much of a bump in resale value (meaning you'll lose most of your money). They lower the car and the car is already too low (meaning you will scratch up the bottom of the front bumper on some driveway aprons, etc.). But most importantly, even without any of these options, the car already vastly exceeds anything quasi-legal that you can do on corners on public roads, so you'd probably be spending your money for nothing.

Rear wiper
It's not expensive. You won't use it much. But that first swipe after a rain or snow makes driving so much more fun not to mention safer. Unless you think it's really ugly (I barely notice it), consider adding it.

Sport steering wheel
The base steering wheel is often described as "ugly." That's because it's ugly. The sport steering wheel looks great. Don't pass on considering this option until you've at least seen both, as you'll be looking at that steering wheel a whole lot for hopefully a long time.

What--you can't reach a few inches to turn on the radio? And aesthetically it doesn't hold a candle to the sport steering wheel.

Electric seat packages
Will your wife really drive this thing? Mine claimed she would, so we got the seats with all the buttons. But she never drives it. So I wasted money and added weight (and something else that can break eventually). I could have just left the seat in one position all the time--set up for me. Bottom line? If you're the ONLY one whose likely to be driving the car, consider passing on this common option even though just about every other car already comes with power seats standard these days and it is an option with Porsche only so they can squeeze more money out of us.

Park assist
Don't consider this a wimp thing. If you have a narrow driveway or if you live in a city and need to do parallel parking, this option makes life a whole lot easier (and parking much faster). You don't need the camera--just the cheaper version works fine, at least for me. But the front park assist (which I only got to please my wife) has surprisingly been very useful in parallel parking. I'd never buy another car without both front and rear.

Wood veneer dash
Very few /people actually choose to get it. The veneer is so thin and covered with so much clear synthetic stuff that it hardly looks like real wood, just like virtually all new wood veneer dashboards (as opposed the the real wood one used to see on classic English cars, e.g.)

PDK
OK--the big one. PDK. If you track the car and speed is the primary issue, you need it, as it's literally faster than the manual. If you track the car and fun is the primary issue, then you need to not get it, for obvious reasons. If you live in the city, seriously consider PDK before saying no. Bumper-to-bumper traffic with manual is such a drag. If you don't live in the city . . . the increases in gas mileage and acceleration with PDK over manual are real but small. Given that's the case, I think your primary considerations are these: is the high price worth it to you and how much more fun do you think you'll have with manual? These are subjective questions. But don't forget if you get PDK and the sport steering wheel you'll have those great paddles to shift manually with whenever you like. IF YOU GET PDK: you must get the sport steering wheel. The tiny manual shift buttons on the standard steering wheel are a real drag compared with the formula-1/Ferrari style paddles on the nice sport steering wheel.

Leather interior
All car manufacturers now sand the leather smooth and stamp it with a "leather like pattern." This is both unnecessary AND makes the leather look far less like real leather, but they all do it. Compare, e.g., the look of leather seats in any new car (including the 981) with the real leather look on 1950s Jaguar seats. It's night and day. That said, psychologically I just couldn't bear spending a fortune on a car with cheap plastic seats, so I got the leather and must confess I don't regret the decision. But this is all subjective. And the so-called "natural" leather interiors (which cost even more): Look before buying. My wife, the SA, and I all could hardly perceive a difference in appearance between the "leather" interiors and the "natural leather" interiors in terms of aesthetics.

Sport exhaust
Purely subjective. Best to not consider without hearing both. If money and fair play are on your mind, the cost of this option (vs. the probable cost of manufacture) may make it the absolute worst rip-off of anything you can add to a 981. That said, if you just love the sound and have the dough, the picture changes. And the sound of the regular muffler? Of course the answer is subjective, but I think it's fair to say it sounds good till about 4000 revs, and then it sounds spectacular. Do a test drive and see what you think.

Multi-color center wheel hub covers
These are a total rip--$180 for two dollars worth of plastic. That said, they do actually improve the appearance of the car in the view of many. Look at both choices. Make your own decision. While it is a naked rip off, it is also only $180.

And finally
This car ain't for transportation. It's for fun. Sometimes seemingly illogical choices with options can affect the fun factor so much that there are times when going with your heart instead of your head may be the right path. In the end, have fun and good luck. You're bound to love this car!
thank you all for your great feedback...can already see that this forumn will be very valuable as the Rennlist 993 one was. I am 63 will do 3 to 5 DE's a year as an instructor. But my wife and I also plan on doing some traveling with this car. Based on above response I am going with the PASM and if understeer does bother me will ( as recommended) swap out the rear sway bar for the X 73 one .

okay here is my build sheet..i am very Excited about this car, most expensive and probably last {Porsche I will have

2016 Cayman GTS
Rhodium Silver Metallic
Leather interior in Black, (do not like alcantara)
Convenience Package
Deletion of GTS model on Side doors
Park Assist front and Rear (non camera option )
Power folding side Mirrors
fuel Cap with Aluminum look finish
PDK
Porsche torque Vectoring
Wheel Center caps with colored Porsche Crest
Adaptive sport seats Plus
seat ventilation
Smoking package (looks like a hole with out it )
fire extinguisher
seat belts in silver grey
sport design Steering wheel in leather
Brushed aluminum Package
center console trim in brushed aluminum
Pedals and footrest in aluminum
Door sill guards on stainless steel

based on comments elsewhere eliminated the power steering plus ...was this a mistake ?

I know I got carried away but when you are spending this much for a car you should get what you want.
I have a Commission number, build date of 5/27 delivery date expected to be 7/15/

thanks again for input and please tell me what you think !!!!

Dennis

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
It's lookin' good Dennis, now just need to hunker down and get ready for a little waiting game...

Reactions: okindao

·
Registered
437 Posts

Sport steering wheel

I do value peoples opinions of how they like the options they got and what they thought was most important after driving the car for an extended period of time.

With that said, from your comments related to the sports steering wheel and the PDK sections, I feel that I can safely assume that you did not have the MF steering wheel. Part of its appeal to me was the deletion of another "turn signal arm" that would be on the steering column to control the display by the RPM gauge, which you have to have with the sports steering wheel. However, I will say that I would never have picked the MF wheel if I was getting a PDK but since I was getting a manual I didn't need to worry about the shifting buttons.

So while your evaluation of most other options are well taken, I have a hard time understanding your experience with the MF steering wheel, and how it compares driving and feel wise. I would like to hear someone with a years experience using the MF wheel (with a manual) let me know if they were disappointed.

Thanks ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
It's lookin' good Dennis, now just need to hunker down and get ready for a little waiting game...
I know I am like kids in the back seat ...... are we there yet ... :) sad part is we finished it up today

Reactions: Westcoaster

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
thank you all for your great feedback...can already see that this forumn will be very valuable as the Rennlist 993 one was. I am 63 will do 3 to 5 DE's a year as an instructor. But my wife and I also plan on doing some traveling with this car. Based on above response I am going with the PASM and if understeer does bother me will ( as recommended) swap out the rear sway bar for the X 73 one .

okay here is my build sheet..i am very Excited about this car, most expensive and probably last {Porsche I will have

2016 Cayman GTS
Rhodium Silver Metallic
Convenience Package
PDK
Porsche torque Vectoring
seat ventilation
fire extinguisher
Brushed aluminum Package

based on comments elsewhere eliminated the power steering plus ...was this a mistake ?

I know I got carried away but when you are spending this much for a car you should get what you want.
I have a Commission number, build date of 5/27 delivery date expected to be 7/15/

Dennis
Sounds like a nice car, Dennis.
You'll appreciate those adaptive seats--wish I would have gotten them, very comfortable.
The PASM may give up a bit to the X73 on the track, but if you and your wife will be putting miles on this car on the highways, you'll appreciate the supple ride of PASM in normal mode (softer than the stock base suspension).

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
based on comments elsewhere eliminated the power steering plus ...was this a mistake?
Based on my research, PS+ is the German steering, meaning car was designed with that. All I can tell you is I bought the car blindly (including X73), but steering is absolutely perfect. And I dislike light steering, like on Ferraris. You still need both hands to turn the steering on my car at parking speeds, so wouldn't want it any heavier. Don't know what the difference is, but glad as hell it came with my car (I wasn't going to order it either, thinking it was going to be old Buick/Ferrari light). I'd add it man. It's only $270, if memory serves me right. Might be other differences, but this is the best steering I've ever had, and never thought of saying that on an electric rack. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Few folks go for this option. A few comments from those who've tried it (I haven't) is that it's not worth it. This holds true for at least one road test magazine review as well, but I can't remember which. Bottom line: you probably made the right choice here, and the same one most of us have made and not regretted.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
. . . .With that said, from your comments related to the sports steering wheel and the PDK sections, I feel that I can safely assume that you did not have the MF steering wheel.
Correct. What I did wind up with--the sport wheel, was a combination of liking the aesthetics and needing the paddles, given that I got PDK.

Part of its appeal to me was the deletion of another "turn signal arm" that would be on the steering column to control the display by the RPM gauge, which you have to have with the sports steering wheel. However, I will say that I would never have picked the MF wheel if I was getting a PDK but since I was getting a manual I didn't need to worry about the shifting buttons.
I didn't know the MF steering wheel eliminated one of the stalks. Interesting. And yes--with PDK, it's hard to imagine anyone getting this car and not wanting to do at least some shifting on their own, almost mandating the paddles instead of the buttons. As you say, in your case (6MT) this isn't an issue. BTW, I did have another Cayman (base 887) with PDK and the standard steering wheel and thought the shift buttons were just awful!

So while your evaluation of most other options are well taken, I have a hard time understanding your experience with the MF steering wheel, and how it compares driving and feel wise. . .
It was a combination of needing paddles due to the PDK, aesthetics, and being the kind of guy that likes as few buttons as possible. (My first sports car was a 10-year-old MGA. The only buttons I remember from that car were the manual choke, the horn button on the dashboard alone, and the turn signal indicator also on the dashboard alone:hilarious:. I'm not making this up.

As a footnote, the MGA did not even have door handles on the outside of the car (nor door locks!), let alone on the inside. To open the door, you had to slide open the side curtains (there were no windows), reach in, and pull a cord that would allow the door latch to essentially unlatch. Like everything else about the car, it didn't always work. It did have some interesting advantages over our 981s, however. While it broke all the time, it was so simple you could actually fix it yourself! And, because of how it sounded, how close to the ground you were, the fact that there were no windows, etc., taking about 15 seconds to get to 60 mph felt extremely fast! (OK--my car previous to the MGA was a '57 VW bug, which took 20 seconds to get to 60 if you were going downhill . . .)

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

2016 Cayman GTS
Rhodium Silver Metallic
Convenience Package
PDK
Porsche torque Vectoring
seat ventilation
fire extinguisher
Brushed aluminum Package

Dennis
I ordered my car VERY different than you ordered yours, but I think you did a really good job at ordering your car for YOU. :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thanks for the response regarding the steering wheels. Since you did have experience with the standard wheel would you say there is much difference between the sports and the standard in terms of hand feel. The sports appears to be a bit thicker.

taking about 15 seconds to get to 60 mph felt extremely fast! (OK--my car previous to the MGA was a '57 VW bug, which took 20 seconds to get to 60 if you were going downhill . . .)
Yes this comment reminds me of the '85 Mercedes 190D I had about 10 years ago. It was a diesel WITHOUT a turbo. it really required a special type of driving with the 3 seconds lag between pressing the pedal and anything happening combined with the 20+ seconds it took to get to 60 mph. It was definitely dangerous to drive with all the modern cars on the road. But for $200 this was an affordable option to get me through college.

1401 - 1420 of 1440 Posts