Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1421 - 1440 of 1440 Posts

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
based on comments elsewhere eliminated the power steering plus ...was this a mistake ?
Right move. If you ever, just once will think "oh, the steering is so heavy, I wish I had an assistance" - I'll give you my phone mount for free.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Thanks for the response regarding the steering wheels. Since you did have experience with the standard wheel would you say there is much difference between the sports and the standard in terms of hand feel. The sports appears to be a bit thicker.
The fact that I don't recall that difference suggests if it exists it's probably minor. That said, why not go to the dealer and grab one of each? Again, the big differences between the standard steering wheel and the sport wheel are 2: First, the standard wheel looks really cheap in the eyes of many. Here on P-9 one poster suggested this was done on purpose to push buyers to spend more money on either of the other two steering wheels. After seeing them, I can believe it. In any case, the sport wheel looks much classier. And secondly, IF you get the PDK transmission, the standard wheel comes with unpleasant-to-use tiny buttons should you decide to override the automatic function and start shifting (albeit clutch-free) for yourself. In contrast, the sport wheel comes with easy to grab formula-1 style paddles that are fun, allowing you to make believe you're Michael Schumacher on the roads of Monaco. Again, this second difference has no meaning in cars with manual transmission.

Yes this comment reminds me of the '85 Mercedes 190D I had about 10 years ago. It was a diesel WITHOUT a turbo. it really required a special type of driving with the 3 seconds lag between pressing the pedal and anything happening combined with the 20+ seconds it took to get to 60 mph. It was definitely dangerous to drive with all the modern cars on the road. But for $200 this was an affordable option to get me through college.
Sometimes our oldest most archaic cars from the past make for the best stories years later.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm almost 68 and I considered the X73 but after discussing it with my SA I decided the PASM was good enough for meI enjoyed my previous 987 CS but felt it was a little harsh even though I have modified the suspensions on my cars for 40 years. I don't plan to track my CGTS and even if I were to, I believe the PASM will provide me with a stiff enough suspension in Sport Plus mode. I did swap out the rear sway bar for the S73 one, which tightened things up a bit without creating any more harshness in the ride. I'm pleased with my decision. If I were 30 years younger I'd probably have gone with the X73 but at this stage in life I've experienced that kind of ride enough.
Can you please give me some idea of cost to swap out rear sway bar for the x73 one ...for parts and labor /

thanks !!!

Dennis

·
Registered
436 Posts
I got the X73 bar from Suncoast, approx $300 I think. I installed it myself, took about 15 minutes.
Thoughts on the swapout. Worth it? Any negative impact?

·
Registered
436 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I put in an order on a 2016 base cayman last month. This is my first post here but I have been lurking on this site for far too long reading up all I can from you wise people. So the first thing I want to do is thank you all for your postings which helped me decide the options that I ended up getting! My build is as below,

- Manual
- White
- Standard interior in Black
- 18'' Cayman wheels
- Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
- Infotainment package with Bose surround sound system
- Premium package( Bi-Xenon with PDLS, Automatically dimming mirrors and rain sensor, 2-zone climate control, seat heating )
- Power sports seats(14-way) with memory package
- Seat Ventilation
- Park assist front and rear with camera
- Sports design steering wheel
- Smoking package

As you can see I have a lot comfort options because this is going to be my dd and for road trips. This is my first p and first sports car so what the base cayman offers in terms of sportiness is enough for me. My expected delivery date is 08/05 so probably this will be one of the last if not the last 981.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I put in an order on a 2016 base cayman last month. This is my first post here but I have been lurking on this site for far too long reading up all I can from you wise people. So the first thing I want to do is thank you all for your postings which helped me decide the options that I ended up getting! My build is as below,

- Manual
- White
- Standard interior in Black
- 18'' Cayman wheels
- Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
- Infotainment package with Bose surround sound system
- Premium package( Bi-Xenon with PDLS, Automatically dimming mirrors and rain sensor, 2-zone climate control, seat heating )
- Power sports seats(14-way) with memory package
- Seat Ventilation
- Park assist front and rear with camera
- Sports design steering wheel
- Smoking package

As you can see I have a lot comfort options because this is going to be my dd and for road trips. This is my first p and first sports car so what the base cayman offers in terms of sportiness is enough for me. My expected delivery date is 08/05 so probably this will be one of the last if not the last 981.
Sweet, I'm surprised to hear you got one so late. It has to be one of the very last 981's. The stock 18" wheels are my favorite wheel.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I thought this forum was dead a while back. Very surprised Porsche is still building 981s this late. The Austin dealer told me a while back the build deadline was mid December, and here we are in late April. But good for you folks. With 981s, there was absolutely no incentive to buy a 911 at least for me, since I have the more enjoyable driving car with the same awesome sounding engine. Guess Porsche was smart to 'downgrade' the Cayman/Boxsters, so owners have a compelling reason to 'upgrade' to an H6 engine. But all being turbo now, they'll never sound like our cars, especially with sport exhaust. Hope to enjoy mine for a long time. Enjoy yours too:).

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Most car makers continue building cars for the current model year until about September, then they switch over to the next model year.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Most car makers continue building cars for the current model year until about September, then they switch over to the next model year.
Most, but Porsche switches over in during the summer factory shut down... Having said that, the 981 Boxster configurator is still up for Canada but not for the Cayman.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I thought this forum was dead a while back. Very surprised Porsche is still building 981s this late. The Austin dealer told me a while back the build deadline was mid December, and here we are in late April. But good for you folks. With 981s, there was absolutely no incentive to buy a 911 at least for me, since I have the more enjoyable driving car with the same awesome sounding engine. Guess Porsche was smart to 'downgrade' the Cayman/Boxsters, so owners have a compelling reason to 'upgrade' to an H6 engine. But all being turbo now, they'll never sound like our cars, especially with sport exhaust. Hope to enjoy mine for a long time. Enjoy yours too:).
I ordered one in early April, just told the freeze for the build has occurred sheet the dealer gave me shows a completion date of 6/10/2016 and I am supposed to receive it around 7/15/2016

·
Registered
851 Posts
Ours was built over the July 4th weekend of 2014, and turned out to be a 2015. Which makes me think Porsche switches over in July.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Ours was built over the July 4th weekend of 2014, and turned out to be a 2015. Which makes me think Porsche switches over in July.
I think BMW may do it the same way. If I recall, we had to wait until the middle of June for the Track Pack to become available so that we could order her car, and it ended up being the next model year.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Im not so sure I'd want the last 981 made. I think there are a lot of distractions at or around the time of a model change over.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Im not so sure I'd want the last 981 made. I think there are a lot of distractions at or around the time of a model change over.
I changed an option in my build for a base Cayman, and now the expected delivery date is 9/30. I'm beginning to think it's going to be the literal last 981 made. Hopefully it's not a lemon.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I changed an option in my build for a base Cayman, and now the expected delivery date is 9/30. I'm beginning to think it's going to be the literal last 981 made. Hopefully it's not a lemon.

Make sure urge you're not getting a 718 instead. That seems too far off for a 2016 build.

1421 - 1440 of 1440 Posts