Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When starting my '11 base Cayman in 17F dry weather yesterday morning, the temp gage moved to far right about 20s after startup. I drove about 100 yards expecting it to drop. When it didn't I pulled over and turned the engine off, waiting about 10s before restarting. After about 20s it did it again. I knew it was a gage/sensor fault so I kept on driving to let the car warm up. After about 5 minutes it dropped down to where it should be at that stage of warmup.

Car's a California car which normally doesn't see sub-freeIng weather. This happened while visiting my Dad in Nevada high desert, and was parked outside for about 36 hours through 2 nights. Any thoughts on what it was?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
When starting my '11 base Cayman in 17F dry weather yesterday morning, the temp gage moved to far right about 20s after startup. I drove about 100 yards expecting it to drop. When it didn't I pulled over and turned the engine off, waiting about 10s before restarting. After about 20s it did it again. I knew it was a gage/sensor fault so I kept on driving to let the car warm up. After about 5 minutes it dropped down to where it should be at that stage of warmup.

Car's a California car which normally doesn't see sub-freeIng weather. This happened while visiting my Dad in Nevada high desert, and was parked outside for about 36 hours through 2 nights. Any thoughts on what it was?
Well, one & it's not a comforting one. Get the level of freeze protection checked. I know of one instance of a car coming from Florida to the Rockies, and the owner fortunately discovering early that what might be considered adequate anti-freeze protection on Florida, was way short of adequate for what cold temperatures might be encountered in the Rocky Mountains in winter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
You'll want to make sure the coolant level is full too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts