Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a Christmas treat for myself, I test drove a Boxster Spyder today, and I loved it.

I found it in a dealership near Lansing. It was black-- not the color I wanted-- but it gave me a good sense of what such a car would be like to live with on a daily basis.

As others have said , the performance is epic. It accelerates like crazy, the steering is tighter, and the shifter is shorter than my Boxster. I adore that howling exhaust note. I now understand why owners don't seem to mind the tall gearing because it is especially torquey in the first four gears. The Spyder is seriously fun to drive.

Also it is surprisingly docile over rough pavement, and it didn't bottom out at any time. Yeah, it made amazing noises when I stepped on the gas, but it was pretty easy to drive it quietly, too. Even with the top up, it was devoid of wind noise at freeway speeds.

The worst aspect of the car is its canvas convertible top. It is really fussy, a bit complex to raise it or lower it, and it has a tiny, plastic rear window which compromises rear visibility. I assume those who own them get the hang of the hidden flap buttons pretty quickly.

No matter. The car is gorgeous. With the top up, it looks like a Speedster. With the top down, it looks like a reinterpretation of a 50s racer with its double bubble backed rear deck . The red and black interior is fantastic.

Bottom line: I want one. But it looks like I will have to wait until next fall if I want to order one built to my specifications. Plenty of time to mull the idea.

One lingering question; will the Spyder be offered again next year?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
As a Christmas treat for myself, I test drove a Boxster Spyder today, and I loved it.

I found it in a dealership near Lansing. It was black-- not the color I wanted-- but it gave me a good sense of what such a car would be like to live with on a daily basis.

As others have said , the performance is epic. It accelerates like crazy, the steering is tighter, and the shifter is shorter than my Boxster. I adore that howling exhaust note. I now understand why owners don't seem to mind the tall gearing because it is especially torquey in the first four gears. The Spyder is seriously fun to drive.

Also it is surprisingly docile over rough pavement, and it didn't bottom out at any time. Yeah, it made amazing noises when I stepped on the gas, but it was pretty easy to drive it quietly, too. Even with the top up, it was devoid of wind noise at freeway speeds.

The worst aspect of the car is its canvas convertible top. It is really fussy, a bit complex to raise it or lower it, and it has a tiny, plastic rear window which compromises rear visibility. I assume those who own them get the hang of the hidden flap buttons pretty quickly.

No matter. The car is gorgeous. With the top up, it looks like a Speedster. With the top down, it looks like a reinterpretation of a 50s racer with its double bubble backed rear deck . The red and black interior is fantastic.

Bottom line: I want one. But it looks like I will have to wait until next fall if I want to order one built to my specifications. Plenty of time to mull the idea.

One lingering question; will the Spyder be offered again next year?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
I think that if a Spyder is you "go-to" car I would be looking to get what you can now, or secure a build spot ASAP (if there are even any left), I think the GT4 an Spyder are the end of the line 981.1 models we won't see back after they finish building them out as 2016 models...

BTW, not to take away from your enthusiasm, but you don't mention what you drive now or have test driven a Boxster GTS... ;-)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts