Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on test driving my first Cayman this friday---my local dealer has a '10 Cayman S w/ PDK. I'm excited to see how it drives!
The "problem" after the test drive will be sticking to how long I want to wait until I pick one up----I'm shooting for late fall/early winter this year since I think I'll have to build one (unless I can find the perfect '10 out there, but I'm not keeping my fingers crossed), and I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger yet since I've only owned my S2000 for about 14 months
We'll see though---I always go into a dealer w/ that plan, and end up leaving w/ a different outcome!:hilarious:

When you all have test driven in the past, how much of the car's limits do you test? I usually pansy the test drive, since the salesman is in the car typically and I feel bad about pushing the car

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah, test drives with the dealer rarely yeild much. I've since started going for a 24 hr test and then hammering it to find out what I need to know... But even if I was with the dealer I wouldn't hesitate to wind it out to 7000 rpm in 2nd :burnout:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Good luck; you will not be disappointed. When test drove the CS before ordering mine, the guy kept asking me to push to the limit. He was very confident. Enjoy the ride.
:thanks:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, test drives with the dealer rarely yeild much. I've since started going for a 24 hr test and then hammering it to find out what I need to know... But even if I was with the dealer I wouldn't hesitate to wind it out to 7000 rpm in 2nd :burnout:
How did you get the dealer to let you take a Porsche for 24 hours?
Benz let me do that w/ a C-class, but that's definitely no Porsche!

·
Registered
169 Posts
There are plenty of opinions on the whole PDK/manual front, but seeing
as you're coming from an S2000, I have to speak up and try to explain something that might help you from making a big mistake.
And please, all you magazine quoting, hwy. traffic touting, Sunday cruisers, just relax.
It's all about personal preference anyway, and this is one personal perspective.
I came from an E92 M3 with DCT (same as PDK essentially). Before that, a modified, fast Miata, similar in speed and handling to your S2000.
What I never realized before owning the M3 with dual clutch transmission,
was how much I enjoyed the heel/toe corner entry interaction with the Miata.
On test driving the M3, it was very impressive. The dual clutch felt a couple tenths quicker, was smooth, convenient, a great transmission.
But after getting the car home, it started feeling very "vanilla" in a way.
Like spirited, stimulating conversations with a friend became predictable and boring.
No doubt it was fast, easier in traffic, smoother, and prob. about 1-2mpg. better with fuel.
The old feeling of having fun with the interaction of rev matching and getting the shift right was gone though,
and for me personally, it started to suck real fast.
I sold the M3 and went right back to the closest two new cars to the modified Miata, either a Lotus Exige or Cayman S DFI 6sp.
Almost went Exige but there were just too many times that thing would be a pain on the street. Bitchin car though.
Picked up the 2010 CS 6sp. a few days ago and have been blipping and matching gears ever since........it's fun again.
Nothing against the PDK, and if you're tired of shifting the S2K and don't get the rise
out of managing the gears/revs/speeds to maintain traction, then yeah, get the PDK.
But the whole point of me writing this to you is that a "test drive" isn't enough time to reveal this lesson to you if you're like me.
You'll have to think about it first and really notice if something feels like it's missing.
In retrospect it did for me when test driving the M3, but I was too impressed with the shift speed and technology to notice.
All that techno. impressiveness went out the window when it just got back to driving and interacting with the car as I enjoy it.
Be honest with yourself and enjoy whatever you get.
I am.....now.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
136 Posts
So, how was the drive? I'm curious because I also currently own an 08 S2000 and expect my next car to be a 2010 Boxster or Cayman S with PDK. Thanks to cpsu for the above comments about choosing a PDK, because I haven't read anybody else's comments like that and it makes me wonder if I wouldn't end up missing the manual interaction as well.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, how was the drive? I'm curious because I also currently own an 08 S2000 and expect my next car to be a 2010 Boxster or Cayman S with PDK. Thanks to cpsu for the above comments about choosing a PDK, because I haven't read anybody else's comments like that and it makes me wonder if I wouldn't end up missing the manual interaction as well.
See my post about it in the Cayman and Boxster Chat forum
In short, its awesome!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts